MMA why BJJ is the shit

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by The Ripper, Feb 21, 2009.

1. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I come in yesterday and the day before and every one owns the shit out of me. I think I'm not making any progress and lose motivation I come in the gym today PISSED with the fires of hell lit under my ass because I think Im not getting any better. I then submit a blue belt twice and roll pretty hard with another white belt almost nailing some subs.

Worked hard with every one. Good day.

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

:rolleyes:
    does your ego feel better now?

3. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

I still get tapped by white and blue belts. Open up your game, make mistakes in training...it'll happen. In the gym doesn't really matter.

4. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I don't see the issue getting tapped. I learn a shit load more when I'm rolling with someone who has better technique than me. I would rather get my ass handed to me all day and learn something from it instead of not progressing at all.

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i dont like getting tapped too much

6. kroneX

kroneX New Member

good for you, but leave all your aggression and ego at the door, you will progress quicker and you won't run the risk of people taking you as a psycho white belt who goes 10000% and is no fun to role with.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

nah its the opposite I need to be more aggresive because Im to passive when Im rolling. Sensei pulled me aside and told me I need to move faster and get a little more aggresive because I was kind of just sitting back and waiting for the other person to make a mistake instead of trying to set up subs and actively working towards them or positional advancement.

8. kroneX

kroneX New Member

well i guess that's a positive then, keep it up!

9. SHORTSHIFTER

SHORTSHIFTER Old School Lurker

my instructor tell me the same thing.... i sit in bad positions waiting to capitalize on their mistake....
    i need to push the pace and control the positions...

it sucks tho.. when i do try to control or be aggressive i feel like i am overpowering people and/or hurting them... which i dont like to do either..

10. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I love watching high level BJJ because they make it look like they are not exerting any effort. BJJ can be painful though, it kinda just goes with the sport :dunno:. I don't think the other person is really thinking you're a horrible guy for trying to get a sub or better position. I have never thought that at least when I'm getting worked. I made that mistake the first few weeks when I started to roll with people again out here. My one buddy capitalized on it and subbed me like 6 times in 6 minutes :( Now I will use my weight against him instead of trying to be lighter for his weight. He catches me every now and then, but I make it a fuck load harder for him.

11. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

I'm too gentle :o

I keep a lot of weight on my hips because I think I'm kinda chunky (6'3 200lbs) and don't want to squash people.

12. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i've concluded me being tapped a bunch of times in practice has actually made me more self aware during the sparring, and as a result my ego has deflated some. not that it was that bad.

13. Killyin

Killyin Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.

How else do you learn unless you make mistakes and spar with others that have more experience?

14. NinjaBread

NinjaBread New Member

Its also important to fight less talented people and fine tune your technique, thats what bjj noobs are for :p