SRS why are we born with an emptiness inside of us?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Lani, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Lani

Lani child, that wind's gonna come and blow my blues aw

i know nobody has an answer but i just felt like writing. i often wonder why people have to be social creatures. wonder why we cant just be happy alone. im sure some will say you can be happy alone but if you did then you found something to fill that hole inside your heart.

some of the people i know fill it with religion and god. others fill it with greed, money, and self improvement. some fill it with children or pets. some with addictions. it just seems like we are born to feel miserable having to get some kind of external way to feel good about ourselves. and even then, quite a few people are still miserable and just try not to show it.

i look at life and all its beauty. i see so many reasons to be alive. so much to live for. yet i still cant soak any of it in deep enough to matter. and the saddest part is i know im not the only one. so many people. so much sadness. so much empty.

surely theres more to life than this.

2. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Rollercoasters are designed for 2 or more, no one should have to experience it alone. Life is a rollercoaster and that other person/thing, keeps the sanity away.

You could say it's innate because it has to be, to grow as a species, we need each other. Without social networks, we wouldn't be typing on this thing called the internet.

Some people can go through life by themselves, there are asexuals out there. I don't know much about them, but I know they don't love either sex lol.

Life is amazing, it's something we will never truly understand. God or No God, I'm having the time of well, my life. The lows come every now and then, but without them, you can't see the highs. I don't feel I need to fill a hole, but I like talking. I like learning new things, ideas, stories, etc. I could probably live alone if I had to, but why would I want to live like that, would you?

3. Ladybug

Ladybug Guest

The desire to be with another person lies in the animal instinct to procreate. The need to be social, who knows, but if you crave it then why waste time, go get it!

I like the old mythology on it, the story about how human beings were once the happiest creatures of the earth with 4 arms 4 legs 2 hearts and a content and happy soul until a jealous god cast the creatures in to separate parts, dooming them to forever walk alone in search of the other half of themselves.
    It's cute and gives a sweet romance to our need to connect to other people.

I get the feeling you're describing on a regular basis. If it's really reoccurring you should see a doctor because the depression hanging over you isn't allowing you soak up the joys of life and that isn't fair.

Go outside and get in the sun, you need it to be able to be happy- chemical fact.
    Do something you know you'll really enjoy, things will look up.
    ...last time I was in that mood I got myself a kinder surprise and got a cheap little kaleidoscope in it, put it together and walked around the shopping center warping peoples faces and laughing.
    It's the little things that make life enjoyable.

4. Ladybug

Ladybug Guest

wow the factual reason sucks. everyone's doomed. :(

5. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

all this emo shit sucks.

6. Jack Horner

Jack Horner Guest

I know you mentioned religion, but I feel compelled to add my two cents:

St. Augustine wrote volumes about this very question.

So did Thomas Aquinas...

Both of them concluded that human beings are filled with an intrinsic desire that can only be filled by God. Augustine's story is of particular interest because he spent the early part of his life searching for meaning through worldly desires (women, money, fame, etc.). It was only after he realized that these left him unfulfilled that he embarked on a search for an authentic relationship with God.

You should read The Confessions...I'm pretty sure it's available online.

Food for thought, anyway...

7. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

When it comes down to it, religious or not, you can't ever avoid this fact. You are responsible for your own life. You clearly stated it in your second point and I think you're absolutely correct. If you don't make any effort, then don't be surprised with the outcome. If we didn't reach out and fuck, you and I wouldn't exist. Other animals do it, but we take it to a different level. We have banded together for however many thousands if not millions of years together to reach this age. It's a ride we have no idea what to expect.

Come on now Polishillusion, you're going through your own emo shit right now, unless that's what you meant lol. Once you actually sit down and think about it, life seems more construed by the minute. Philosophy is a great subject, I wish I could write a book and it have any meaning, but I know that it has been played out.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I felt the need to point out a contradiction that I see.

You mention that we look to external things to fill the void, however self improvements isn't necessarily external. Sure people may go walk on fire with Anthony Robbins and that may be seen as an external event but the process that gets them prepared to do so is internal. The effects of doing so are also internal, at least from a certain perspective.

IMO there's absolutely nothing wrong with self improvement. However, that's not really your question.

So why we are born with this emptiness? IMO It's just part of the human condition. Why does our hair grow or not grow? Why do we seem to "get along" with some people but not with others? Why do we have a desire to learn something while so many others don't share that same desire?

It's all part of the soup that makes us human. I don't agree with the "God took a bone from Adams ribs and made Eve and man has been trying to get it back ever since" explanations. Nor do I believe it's because we are somehow flawed.

IMO it's as natural and normal as breathing....it's just part of being human.
    What does you mean you can't soak it in deep enough to matter?

When you look at life and it's beauty, holding those images in your mind does matter. They can be motivation for change or they can be soothing images in times of struggle and strife. How do these images not matter? IMO they DO matter but perhaps not in the way you want them to. Perhaps you can clarify?