GUN Why are some people so interested in buying only pre-ban stuff?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Hooligan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Is there any value to this if we get another ban, or what?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If there is another ban any current stuff should be grandfathered and become preban, but the original preban stuff is still of value to people in states that laws mirroring the fed awb, the state laws didnt have an expiration date.

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Just like MA-compliant handguns (pre-88?) ... more grandfathered than the current stuff that's likely to be grandfathered. Before I understood that mechanism, I was confused why a buddy in MA was so excited when I halfassedly offered to sell a pistol to him at a slight premium over the going rate ... lasted until he determined that it wasn't preban.

4. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

There are still states that have limitations/bans on assault weapons and the features that are permitted on a firearm (mainly CA, and NY) that did not sunset with the Federal AWB. Prohibited features and limitations are things like magazine capacity, flash suppressor, collapsible stock, pistol grip, grenade launcher attachment point, bayonet lug, etc... Because these limitations were put into effect at the beginning of the federal AWB (in september of 1994 I believe?) they are only valid on weapons built after that date. So, if a CA or NY resident purchases a pre-ban firearm (or lower), they can pretty much modify it any way they would like (still within FEDERAL law), and it will still be legal in that state.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

not entirely correct for CA since anything registered before the ban (prior to 12/31/99) can not be transferred or sold to another individual within the state.

hell, you cant even will it to someone after your death :ugh2:

if you purchased a preban firearm i believe it would still have to be SB23 compliant (assault weapon law)

perhaps panzer or garandbobcat can chime in on this :dunno:

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

NY yes, Cali I don't think you can import any prebans into the state. Anything with all the evil features was suppose to be registered by a certain date there. I think Ct, Ma, and NJ are similar to NY laws though.