SRS why are millions of americans depressed?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jan 8, 2007.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

What the hell is wrong with american society? Why are all these people depressed? Does it have anything to do with the fact that this country revolves around money? MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!! Please, an answer.

2. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

Graceless age

3. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

The lost connection to religion. If people just follow Christic-Buddhism or Gnostism, then they could feel they were being more practical and doing something to connect to their Inner God, instead of just being controlled by the ego. Sigmund Freud was the first man to scientifically discover that WE ARE NOT IN CONTROL OF OUR OWN MINDS.

Depression is an illness of the mind, created by the mind. Meaning, yes it can be a chemical imbalance, but that imbalance is created by an imbalance we create in our own lives through beleiving in fantasy (daydreaming that our situation will become ever and ever better) instead of trying to maintain self observation, to perhaps watch each and every moment until you push yourself to the top.

If you are not aware of yourself, how you are feeling, what you are feeling, and how you should just all that and inquire as to why you are feeling like that, you are going to just say I am depressed.

I have had to take chemicals (Paxil, some others) but realised most of the problem stemmed from the thinking patterns themselves. I did not have money so I felt shitty and greedy. I did not have a lover so I lusted all the time. Whatever I accomplished I was overly proud. I hung around with people that were not much better. I was a glutton at times (before I started going to the gym).

A complex and complete pychological and physical makeover or workout should help far more then the pills.

Pychologists can only help so much, altering your way of thinking is up to you.

And I do realise some people just cannot be helped, and that is indeed depressing.

4. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Why shouldn't this Country revolve around money?

No, I do not believe that is what is wrong with American society.

5. Cronin

Cronin New Member

Link to said claim?

I know there are still Freudians out there however am I not aware that he actually scientifically proved anything regarding that matter. Furthermore, the majority of individuals who participate in the modern scientific community believe that Freud was full of it because his theories were scientifically lacking.

I do not believe we have any fully realized ability to completely control our own minds, however, are own internally generated thoughts profoundly affect us.

That is not true. Depression can be caused biologically - external from the mind.

Unless you are a materialist and say that the mind IS the brain. However there is no scientific backing to that belief.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2007
  6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Money is money. It can be used for both good and bad things.

I do not blame money, the currency system is better then bartering.

It is our conditioned minds. If you go to other countries you will see vastly different rates of depression.

We watch TV too much, do not exersize or get a good enough diet, plenty of things to point the finger at. A lot of good healthy changes to be made too, if we dare.

7. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

It is obvious you cannot control your own brain. Sit down and meditate until you reach the Seventh Hall of Nirvana. Come back and tell me it was easy. No, it is very difficult to meditate for many people because they cannot control their thoughts (negative thoughts frequently come up while trying).

That is a practical scientific test right there on one specimen, you. You do not have to sit lotus style, just sit in your seat or lie in your bed and try. Watch and note.

Freud was a breakthrough pychologist although he was terrified of the subconcious mind.

Depression caused biologically, supposedly externally from the mind, is caused by external events which cause internal impressions (memories) that eventually form the so called external depression.

No materialist at all. The mind is not the brain. Far from materialist viewpoint here, obviously.

Having gone through depression this is just my opinion which is just as valid as your opinion.

8. Cronin

Cronin New Member

I agree. I believe conditioning has a lot to do with it.

I don't believe that Television in itself is a problem.

I would say that the Western Media as a whole sets the standards for a "quality life" that millions of people (including myself) look up to.

Some can deal with it, many cannot.

9. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

Because everyone wants what they can't have. :hs:

10. Cronin

Cronin New Member

What you said is that Freud scientifically proved this. This is not true.

Furthermore I proceeded to agree with you on the matter... so I'm not sure what you are suggesting with this statement.

For the record I have participated in several meditation disciplines most of which I have found particularly rewarding. (Liber E for one.)

Keeping in mind that your statement regarding this issue, and my upcoming response, is pure theory and nobody knows exactly what causes depression.

It has been thought, however, that we are in complete control of how we perceive external situations and by changing that particular mindset we would be able to view situations in a way that we would not be depressed by them.

Depression is also thought to be caused by an overflow, or lack of, neurotransmitters in an accompaniment of electrical activity passing information from one neuron to another.

This "malfunction" can be caused biologically with no environment related root cause.

11. Cronin

Cronin New Member

:hsd: :wtc:

12. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

my head is gonna explode if i respond to that last one, we are using too big of words, i am starting to get depressed :)

13. Cronin

Cronin New Member

lol sorry :hsd:

14. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The answer is simply, pressure, there's too much pressure on everything that we have to do, too much obligations and too little time to deal with them. Wether it be from se job/school/relationships/finances not only often don't mix together that well, the burden is too big for one person to carry as an indivual, which eventually leads to depression if a person isn't able to swim out of the mess, like suffocating if you don't reach the surface soon enough.

15. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

That sounds about right. We're always trying to push push push. We live very "fast-paced" lives in North America and seldomly to we sit down, relax with our family/friends and our environment and just try and be at peace. We're always on the go. At least here in Canada, our country is one of the least vacationed countries in the developed Western world. We work long hours, have little time off and it really messes our lives up. In North America we have this live to work policy as opposed to working to live. This is not to say that in other countries there isn't suffering or harder work, or that we aren't very blessed here, but we've created a society obsessed with working all the time, never calming the pace of life down, and always trying to achieve things that sometimes, whether achievable or not, cause us great mental, physical, and emotional stress that just continues to add up.

16. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

My personal opinion is that we are all (1) uneducated (2) immature and (3) children living in an adult world.

Nearly every guy I know doesn't have social skills, can't maintain a relationship, and basically feels worthless as a result. I personally blame it on never being prepared by our parents to be an adult. I'm 37 and feel like I have the life skills of a 24 year old, if that. Most clients I work with for dating and relationship advice have the skills of 8-14 year olds. Most can't balance a check book, don't have credit cards, are single, overweight, play video games all day even though they are 35 years old, etc.

The interesting thing is that as soon as we start addressing how to be an adult, their whole life changes - for the better.

We need to learn to grow up.

17. mrchina

mrchina Guest

People are depressed because now it's acceptable to let your problems be blamed on someone or something else. Loss of self accountability.

18. JS1

JS1 sup

Excellent topic. I used to think that people who were depressed were pussies, until I realized that I was one of them. I was living to work, and what's worse, I didn't get to enjoy the stuff my income was buying; my wife was. I didn't realize I was depressed until it was too late and I had a mental breakdown followed by separation and the golddigger filed for divorce.

Life sucks now, but at least I'm not clinically depressed any more (just broke, which is actually better), and once my divorce is final, I can move on.

My wife has probably been depressed for some time now (undiagnosed since she refuses to seek counseling) and will probably just get worse, but since she chose to do nothing but destroy me, I don't give a fuck about her any more.

19. William Murderface

William Murderface I'd rather die than go to heaven.

They're not. The CEOs of pharmaceutical companies are convincing people they're depressed.

20. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

I hate money! People in my life try to buy me with it and it does nothing for me!

21. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

That's an ignorant approach. So many people in the past had a lot of problems, acted our, suffered in life and everyone just said suck it up, mean while, there might have been serious medical conditions that we were unaware of. You can't blame EVERYTHING on depression, but certainly its not fake or a scapegoat in general - it's a legitimate issue.

22. urbanlegend

urbanlegend One Love

That is definately a factor these days. Cost of living increases a hell of a lot more than increase in wages as well.

23. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Nope. Try growing up in Asia where kids are expected to learn how to multiply around the same time our US kids are still learning how to be toilet trained. Or working in an average Asian IT firm where you may be paid less then the average US worker, but have to work a an average of 5 - 6 hours overtime each day with no OT pay.

I think we have pressures...but it's likely to be low on the scale of things to blame.

If I had to guess, IMHO I would blame the negativity of the media, and our perceptions of the rest of the world is very sheltered. I think I've read it somewhere that the average US citizen has never traveled out of the country.

24. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Cool your jets pal, not once did I say mental illness or depression were non-existent or not a factor.

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Lots of work, lots of money, lots of food, lots of stuff...

lite on meaning.

Then there's the fact that the mentally ill were discarded or ignored in the past, and now we recognize it as a disease.