GUN Why are full autos illegal? Wouldn't a semi auto be deadlier... I'll explain.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anders 7, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Anders 7

Anders 7 I aim to misbehave OT Supporter

I just don't get why full auto's are illegal like they are some crazy bfg killing machines. I believe in a school or mall shooting situation a semi auto would kill more people. With a full auto the shooter is going to be pumping more bullets at each target which means wasted rounds, rounds that could have been in more targets. Also with a full auto the accuracy goes to shit so there would be more missed shots which equals more wasted rounds and less dead people. With a semi auto each shot is calculated and aimed more carefully and very few rounds would be wasted resulting in more dead people and fewer reloads. One can only carry so much ammo on them and with a full auto you would be wasting a lot of rounds per target. Am I wrong here? It's just as dumb as pistol grips being illegal so I guess there is no logic in the ban.

2. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

shut the fuck up.

3. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

seriously, just shut the fuck up.

4. Anders 7

Eat my ass you WRX faggot.

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

just like in your original post, your logic is still flawed.

you fail at life.

6. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

[​IMG]

7. Anders 7

Pick it apart for me then. You believe full autos should stay illegal?

8. Anders 7

:eek3: Wish I could bend like that.

9. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

yet again, more flawed logic.

the reasons you think they should be legal are just asinine.

10. Anders 7

State your opinion on the matter or GTFO

11. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

you have my opinion, i just said your reasons were asinine.

is that not an opinion?

12. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

You guys should get aim

13. Anders 7

I'd like to think WMD is a more serious discussion forum than off topic and that if you were coming into a thread and talking shit you might have the balls to back it up with a coherent thought other than "OMGZORSZ you're so stupid but I'm not saying why!."

14. Anders 7

:rofl: Might as well.

15. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

so your reasoning that select fire weapons should be legal is that in the hands of most, they are more innacurate and thus cause fewer deaths and injuries when used against someone? do you seriously believe this to be the case?

i find today's (federal, not state. i.e. case of california) gun control laws to make perfect sense, whether it be the NFA or the firearms act of '68. anybody who isn't a criminal can get one. i particularly support the fact that you have to jump through major hoops (but still, a citizen with no criminal record can get one. again, this varies state to state on levels of local gov't again but this goes back to my saying i find fed'l laws perfect) to get a suppressor or select fire gun for more than one reason. fewer out there to be stolen from irresponsible owners and more in the case of the latter than the former, for the investment purpose.

16. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

First off, full autos aren't illegal, not to posess anyways with the proper taxes paid. And secondly, and to word it with a little more tact;) , the logic used to argue for the legality of one object/tool/etc based on the fact of something else that's "worse" being legal is flawed. If anything you're arguing for semi-autos to be banned as well.

Think of the argument that marijuana should be legalized because alcohol is much more detrimental.

17. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

That same argument can be used to restrict all types of firearms, not just select-fire ones. With any kind of firearm if you put a cap on the number allowed to civilians then there'll be less to be stolen from "irresponsible" gun owners and they'll definitely go up in price. I'm sorry, I just have a problem with someone legislating my ability to own an object because someone else might want to unlawfully take it away from me, not to mention someone wants to see the value of their own posessions increase while not allowing for others to own it as readily. It's a little too elistist for my taste.

18. Anders 7

I'm just trying to understand the initial reasoning behind making full autos illegal and yes I know you can still get them but it's a major pain in the ass. :dunno: I think the general public hears the word fully automatic and assume it's more deadly and that only military should have it... Ohh and MJ should be legal. :o

19. Anders 7

but why should someone have to jump through major hoops to get a fully automatic gun? What is so special about a fully automatic gun that requires such caution and general fear?

20. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

is it caution and general fear as much as it is local gov'ts not wanting their LEO agencies to have less than or equal firepower to those who intend harm with the firearms?

sure, this could be construed as a form of fear but for safety's purpose, i can understand it. its regulation for just that reason, to know for a fact w/o a doubt that the owner of the weapon is responsible and reasonable.

21. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

:ughj: i hear about more people killed in a car crash than are killed with firearms. So lets restrict how many cars a family can own. ​

22. Gimik

Gimik New Member

It's called attrition. They outlaw it in a way that is easier to get the law passed, but will still end up outlawing it in the end - it just takes longer. People don't fight as hard if they can keep their own stuff (through grandfathering). They'll do the same thing with semi-autos in the future as well. So it's not so much an either or scenario as it is a FA first, then SA later.

23. quadracer420

quadracer420 New Member

legal mary jane FTW. Think of this. Your at some huge event where theres 400 people and some guy just starts hip shooting side to side full auto into the crowd and before you know it hes put alot of rounds into a crowed space with a lot of people, now tell me a semi auto would be better:nono: .

24. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Whenever i argue gun-control, i make an analogy using dogs.

Dogs are dangerous and can seriously mangle and possibly kill someone
    So, lets ban dogs bigger than 50lbs and no longer allow certain breeds of dogs to be bred, for the safety of the children

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There is no reasoning, movies have made full auto weapons seem scary so they were effectively outlawed tto the point where most people can't own them. Why would you think that laws are based on logic and reason? Fear and entertainment is what drives laws like these, just like bans on automatic knives.