GUN Why are Desert Eagles bad?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Clarity, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Clarity

Clarity New Member

I recently read a thread somewhere, where the general consensus was that Desert Eagles were bad for defensive purposes. Why are they bad? I can see from the start, 7 bullets is a large drawback. However, it seems to pack a large "punch", and you would only need one hit to severly injure an attacker. Are they unaccurate compared to other guns? Are they extremely heavy? Could someone enlighten me on this issue?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Shot placement is much more important than the "punch." I would rather have somthing I could control easily after each shot than a gun that the first shot is the most important one.

3. Clarity

Clarity New Member

The Desert Eagle has a lot of recoil? I can see why it is disliked, as if only the first shot could be effectively controlled.

4. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

they are extremely heavy and too klunky too handle with any decent speed....ive also heard people complain of frequent malfunctions (im not a witness to this ive merely heard of them occuring)
    Aside from being nothing more than an attention grabber at a range full of newbies its probably not worth your hard earned money.
    If you want a semiauto that packs a punch get a .45 from your favorite company and pack it with 200gr +P rounds or get a 10mm

5. Clarity

Clarity New Member

The chrome ones do looks cool, however :naughty:

If I ever got a gun, I'd get a light, accurate pistol.

6. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i hear that....i just recently got an offer to buy my Glock 17 off of me...it gave me an excuse to put the money towards the Glock 34...but i got to hold & dryfire a Sig Sauer X-5 in 9mm and while there is a substantial price difference i cant make up my goddamn mind.......

Glock 34 after i install the target sights i like will = $750
    Sig X5 competiton 9mm= $1600
    the trigger on the sig is ungodly...its like a finely tuned 1911 trigger
    The other thing is i can take the 34 home w/ me next week....the x5 would be paid off over 2 months....sorry im hijacking the thread i had to get it off my chest lol

7. UrbanKnight

UrbanKnight Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun

Too big for any reasonable use in defense, cannot safely carry cocked and locked.

I had both a 44 mag version and a 50 AE.

The 44 mag sucked balls, as I could not get it to cycle reliably with anything but VERY hot loads.

The 50 AE was a hoot.... Stock, it sucked after a few mags (your hands were sore). I sent it out to Magnaport and had quad porting done to it. I coudl shoot it all day long with no problems, was accurate as hell, and stopped everyone on the range when you shot it.

Downside... $1/round untill I got into reloading...

UK

8. Clarity

Clarity New Member

So it's basically a fun gun :) . I'll make sure to avoid the 44 mag.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well they are huge, heavy, low capacity, and recoil alot. Further there is no defensive round that I'm aware of that taxes advantage of it. I imagine with a good bullet you could get a full inch of expansion out of the round, but I can do that with 10mm and .45 You might penetrate alot more flesh with that big slug, but you just don't need to with people. Its a hunters gun and a recoil lovers gun.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

They're unreliable.

11. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

My friend has a Chrome .44mag Desert Eagle and we dont have cycling problems. You have to consider its recommended you rebuilt the gun every 1500rds. Its fun to shoot and gets the attention at the range.

12. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

It is unpractical and you could buy a much nicer defense gun for a lot less.

13. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

to the thread starter... have you ever seen one in person? or held one?

imagine putting a pistol grip on the back of a full 2 liter bottle of coke.

It's really just for show, if you want a big powerful gun, revolver is the way to go. If you have buttloads of cash to waste, sure , buy one for the novelty factor.

The baby eagle is pretty nice though :)

14. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

Get a X5 they are a god among sigs.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I always thought of it as a wile coyete gun, its just comically massive.

16. Clarity

Clarity New Member

Nope, never seen one in real life. I would imagine they are extremely heavy. I wouldn't buy a revolver or desert eagle, because I don't like how the revolver reloads, and the desert eagle would suck for defense.

17. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

My friend had one in .357 Magnum. It was very unreliable, and only liked certain kinds of ammo.

If you want high power, buy a revolver. If you want a big hole, get a .45ACP.

18. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

When I went to purchase my XD I was standing in line and the guy infront of me was like, "What are you buying?"

and I told him. He tells me, "I'm not a big fan of Springfield XDs. I think the best pistol is..."

And at that point was expecting Glock to come out of his mouth but instead...

"a Desert Eagle. I have 7 of them. They're the only handgun I'll buy."

19. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I hope your reply was: :hs:

20. CowlSS

CowlSS Official Thong Inspector OT Supporter

I sold mine and regret it. The recoil wasn't bad to me, but then again I am a recoil junky. For whatever reason, I was much more accurate with my DE than anything else I've owned besides my Benelli.

I will eventually purchase another one, I'm really digging the black chrome finish. :naughty:

21. mrbill

mrbill New Member

only problem i've had with mine is that it's ammo sensitive. other than that, i love it. every person that's ever shot it had a big smile on their face afterwards.

22. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

that's cause they are trying to stiffle the laughter. :)

23. mrbill

mrbill New Member

whatever you say rambo

24. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i dunno....whenever i see a desert eagle in the store i always tell myself how badass itd look in my gun safe...but i think id feel like a fool whipping one out at the range and try to be taken seriously as a shooter.
    Ive gotten more respect from fellow range-goers that see me shooting my glocks than any other firearm i own....its because i practice the most with them and people notice when they see me tear a hole in the bullseye consistently...to me thats the ultimate attention grabber....having your weapon and being proficient with it.
    If i want to make more noise ill yell bang while i press the trigger of my .45 :x:

25. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

i would grab my glock 19 over the desert eagle for defensive purposes, capacity is last on the list of reasons, muzzle flash, noise (with no hearing protection, especially in anything other than a big open field), and bad ammo cause the desert eagle to be non practical for reliable defense

i've shot lots of rounds through mine, and i've found that only a certain type of ammo is consistently reliable for feeding