why are cd-roms so fragile?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Accido, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Accido

Accido New Member

I have to buy a new one every year because they break, and I don't buy cheap one either. so it's usually 150-200 every year just on cd/dvd-roms alone. :rant2: I was always told my hard drive would be replaced more often than a cd-rom drive, yet I've had the same main hard drive for 4 years and at least 4 cd-roms drives in that time.

2. MP

MP New Member

what?

I thrown mine around like no tomorrow and they always work. I take horrible care of my optical drives and the only time I've had one break was when we have a power surge and everything in my computer blew.

3. Accido

Accido New Member

:eek4: I'm not buying cheap roms either. I do use it a lot though, playing movies and music and burning cds and dvds now too. Maybe that's why

4. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Power surges got a few of my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives

5. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Dude just buy cheap ones. a $20 from Newegg works fine, i have NEVER had a CDROM die on me in 10 years of computer use

6. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

The tray is NOT a cup holder! :nono:

7. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

what the hell are you doing to them? they should last much longer than a year a piece unless you are burning rediculous amounts of stuff

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

9. Accido

Accido New Member

:dunno: I use it a lot, but I don't think anymore than the average computer geek does. the brands I buy are typically pioneer, sony, and asus.

10. Accido

Accido New Member

I can't get cheap roms that I like/use. It must play and write both dvd and cds.

11. Accido

Accido New Member

I lost a few modems during thunderstorms, but I have a good surge protector so it's definitely possible I'd suppose, but I don't think so in this case. BTW, know if my cable modem is at risk during a thunderstorm like a dailup modem is?

12. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Of course. Usually, the coax goes underground and then to the cable companies equipment (whatever the terms are, I'm not familiar with the cable network) but the main thing is that lighting strikes the ground and the coax is underground.

I'd say there is about a close to equal chance of both occurances happening.

My problems arose when a certain few individuals in the house decided to play with the electrical system before notifying me to shut off my computer. So what would happen is sometimes the power would just go out for a while or at a certain few instances, on and off a few times for a couple of seconds.

All my other hardware is still fine though.

13. el_gato_negro

el_gato_negro New Member

I have an $80 DVD-ROM that's still going strong after over two years...and a CD writer that is older than that. Maybe you have a stronger than average personal electromagnetic field? :dunno:

14. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

what the F*** are you doing with your cd/dvd rom that would make it fubar after only 1 year?
    My dvd-rom I've hard for about 3 years now and before that it belonged to a friend of mine that had it for 2-3 years.
    My CDRW I've had for about 4 years and still going strong.

Start by not taking it out of the PC and dropping it out a 3 story window every other day and it should last.

And yes your cable modem can fry your system like the a dialup modem can....if your cable lines going to your house get a direct hit of lightning were to hit, but then it wouldn't matter much since it would also travel down your power lines and fry up the system that way too.
    And I hope you do know the difference between a surge protector and a power strip. You'd be surprised how many people think they are the same thing.

15. Accido

Accido New Member

Actually I couldn't tell you the difference. I bought three cyberPower Surge protectors. they have plug in for cable, network, phones lines, and 4 transformer outlets. cost about $30 a piece I believe.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/surge890.htm
    those are the exact models actually.

Like I said before, I listen to a lot of music, play a lot of movies, and play a lot of video games. How often do you use yours?

16. Accido

Accido New Member

I have two computer on at the same time, a printer, a large 21 inch sony monitor, a lamp, speaker box, scanner, router, modem, A 27 inch tv, an air conditioner all in the same 14 by 14 foot carpet room. But I've only lived here for a year so far. I'm sure most people here have more juice going into their room than me. :(

17. Accido

Accido New Member

:) Guess now I'll unplug my cable modem as well

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Let me know what brand you buy so I don't get one! Most of mine last until I toss them to replace them with something faster. :dunno: I've only had one (stupid true-speed 7 laser crap) die on me in under 2 years.

19. ds3

ds3 Guest

they die on me all the time as well. cd-roms that is, not even burners. They probably only last about 2 years.

20. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

That is a surge protector. Never heard of that brand. I mostly use APC's stuff; surge protectors and UPS's.

I usually use portable cd player to play audio CDs, then I'm usually gaming too.
    And with games I like make images of the game disc and mount that using Daemon Tools. Faster load times and no stress on the CD/DVD drive.

If you use your drive that much, do this. Get either a really really cheap DVD-ROM or CD-ROM for like around $20 or less if you can find it, and use that for all your normal stuff, but safe the good CD/DVD-rom/burner for when you really need it.