Why are boxing movies so popular?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Knucklehead, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

So I've been thinking about this question lately. Million Dollar Baby might win best picture, Ring of Fire was one the most touted documentaries at Sundance, movies like Raging Bull and Rocky are succesful and award winning films.

Why have boxing movies been so succesful? No other sport, not baseball, not hockey, not basketball, not football has had as many succesful movies as boxing. Yet all those sports have more fans than boxing. Why do you think Hollywood loves the sweet science and what makes movies about it so compelling?

2. Socrates

Socrates Guest

Everyone wishes they could fight really well, and boxing movies are almost complete violence. Everyone loves violence! Not everyone wishes they were good at basketball or baseball.

Two of the best boxing movies that you didn't mention are "Gladiator" and "Undisputed." ---- Great movies!:bigthumb:

3. Drudge

Drudge New Member

An individuals struggle is better told in two hours then a whole teams. P.S. - Hope Jamie Foxx does the Mike Tyson story.

4. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Yeah, Socrates, there are tons. The two you mentioned, all the Rocky's, Diggstown, Great White Hype, Ali, The Hurricane etc.

Drudge...very good point about an individuals struggles compared to a teams. I also think some of it might have to do with the background of boxers. A lot of them rise to become multi-million dollar champions, but come from backgrounds of total poverty.

5. TopNotch

TopNotch If You Got 100 Guns, 100 Clips, Then Why Don't I H

i like them :)

6. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

:bowdown: one of my all time favorites

Sports Illustrated did a really great article on the allure of boxing films. In a lot of cases, the underdog quality of the storylines really stand out. Also, boxers are human. It is much easier to identify with someone working their ass off for that one shot... then it is to identify with a team of multimillionaires who have already made it. Thats why a lot of the successful 'team' movies have involved underdog teams as well.

7. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Eticket109---I think I might have seen that SI article. Was it a back before Christmas? The working your ass of for one shot makes a lot of sense, a lot of fighters have to win in their first few fights, or they will never see their careers go anywhere. Any other reasons they gave for boxing films being so great besides the one's you've mentioned? I'm sure this will continue to be a topic of conversation since Million Dollar Baby won the Best Picture Oscar.

8. Trev

Trev New Member

I think its partly because they can be very emotional and heartfelt and people like to see someone who is so committed to something and striving to be so good.

9. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

I agree, it seems like boxing more so than any other sport requires an intense commitment and devotion to what you're doing since you don't have a team or allies to prop you up. You frequently training alone of with just one trainer. Perhaps that's why individual sports frequently produce more dedicated and compelling personalities.

10. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Michael Jai White beat him to it in the film "Tyson." Good movie!

11. Knucklehead

Knucklehead New Member

Haven't heard of that one. Who made it? Boxing is on television so sparingly these days--it's not on networks, barely on ESPN--you basically have to have HBO or Showtime or PPV to see the big fights.

I'm a boxing fan, so I think that's one reason I like boxing movies so much--I don't get to see enough boxing elsewhere.

12. D16Y8

D16Y8 New Member

That's funny you mention that because one of my favorite "boxing" movies (Rocky) wasn't really about boxing.

13. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

I could say the same thing about Million Dollar Baby...
    Both are great movies, though.

14. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Boxing is very raw and brutal, and completely natural in it's existance.

15. TripleLindy

TripleLindy New Member

Saw the ad for 'ring of fire'... looks sweet.
    Anyone else see it?

16. Outkasted

Outkasted New Member

I just saw a preview for a new boxing movie when I went to see The Interpreter (which was good). It's called Cinderella Man. Looks promising.

17. Milkman

Milkman Guest

No baseaball...what about 61, awesome movie. Remember the titans, Friday Night Lights, Coach Carter, just to name a few...