Why am I so infatuated with the new Tundra?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SycoPhant, Feb 9, 2007.

1. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I'm a Ford guy... I feel so dirty!

My father in law might transfer to a Toyota dealership, and I could pull the trigger. I feel like I'm betraying the cause in thought!

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I would buy one too, its a great performer and a 100% improvement over the previous model, but the pricing is out of my range.

(I have a Ford too)

3. Atticus

Atticus New Member

Cant wait to see a color matched grille tundra though.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pricing is rediculous. interior looks cheap. Toyota reliability is crap down with dodge, now.

I'll pass.

5. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

[​IMG]

Yea the interior is average, but that's all I really want in an interior.

I just bothered to spec an F-150 Lariat vs. a Tundra Limited w/ the 5.7 and you're getting more w/ the Yota than the Ford for less money in the end. Spec it up and you're looking around 37-38k F-150 vs 35-36k Tundra.
    :noes:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

But the yota is not going to discount much, if any. The Ford will get knocked down below invoice. In th end, the Ford is less than $30k.

7. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Toyota is having some issues, no doubt.
    But it's not even close to that.....

Try to be realistic. ;)

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I view reliability as two-prong. First is what does it take to break it? In this regard, Toyota doesn't break as much as Dodge -- true. However, the second prong is what does it take to get it fixed? Go to a Dodge service department and they'll gladly fix it -- they know their crap breaks. However, Toyota service departments are filled with stuck-up fucktards that simply say "Toyota's don't break -- you abused it -- we won't fix it". Yet they can't explain why Toyota issued a TSB (aka *RECALL*) on it and my vehicle demonstrates the exact problems described in the *RECALL*.

So it matters not just what breaks, when, and how often -- but also how easily it can be replaced/fixed. In the first aspect, Toyota has fallen flat and is below GMC, imho. In the second aspect, Toyota has full-on lost it, and they are among the worst on the market in actually fixing their problems.

9. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

First off, for the record, dealerships are NOT owned by the manufacturers.

Second, not all dealers are the same. Just like going to independant shops, some are bad, some are mediocre, and some are good.

The "fucktards" in the service departments aren't the ones that pay for warrenty claims. Toyota is. Broke cars are lucrative [not as much as services sometimes], but it's still money. Especially when it's out of warrenty [which is often, Toyotas is only 3/36].

Third, a TSB is NOT a recall. Service campaigns are recalls. Two totally different things.
    "Recalls" are fixed free, regardless of mileage or age. With TSBs, if you're out of the warrenty, you pay for it.
    TSBs are bulletins pointing you in the direction of a specific problem. ONLY IF THERE IS A PROBLEM. Recalls have you replace a part regardless of a problem or not. Perfect example is the ball joints for the Tundra/Sequoia. The joint MAY have been scratched. Yet if the vehicle is in the VIN range it automatically is replaced. If it was a TSB you would inspect the joint for a scratch and replace only if there is one.
    TSBs are done by Toyota to shorten diag time. Recalls are done for safety reasons.

As for "Toyotas don't break" mentality, how do you think the techs and writers get paid? Toyotas need more than service. Even the old school Camrys, Corollas and trucks that built their reputation.

I'm not saying you didn't get the runaround at a dealer. I'm sure it happened. Maybe even at several dealers.
    But I guarantee that is not Toyotas official OR unofficial line. Toyota pushes customer service all the friggin time [I know because I have to deal with that crap]. That is certain people at certain dealers not doing things the right way.
    Did you try calling Toyota about it? Contact the regional office and talk to the FSA [Field Service Advisor].

Just keep in mind just because you have a bad experience at a dealer does NOT make all dealers unwilling to fix problems.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well it *was* Toyota's official line because it escalated up through the regional manager up to corporate (via Toyota Customer Experience Hotline). The official response by Toyota was "We are going to stand by our dealership".

Fuck them, then. I know that GMC is reliable, and they actually want to help me out when it comes to warranty claims.

(btw, the TSB had my VIN in it's range, my truck exhibited the exact symptoms in the TSB, and I had only 12k miles on it, and was about 8mos old. And after me paying for the parts out-of-pocket and doing the work myself, the problem went away. So obviously the TSB was accurate.)

Toyota has done a LOT to *lose* my business. But if I have to trace it down to one event, it's because they failed to perform their own TSB, never admitted they should have, and refused to re-imburse my $160 spent to do it myself. They lose a customer because of $160 and a bad attitude!

11. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Well, then they obviously handled that one wrong.

12. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I'm dissapointed to hear the first tale of a Toyota dealer acting just like your common every day Ford stealership. I love Fords - hate the dealers. My brother took his Mustang in because his seatbelt wouldn't retract and there was a recall, they tried to tell him it's supposed to operate like that.

13. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

There is the possibility with ANY manufacturer/dealer to have that happen.
    I'm not defending it in any way. If it happend like that, it's wrong, plain and simple.
    The dealer I work at doesn't operate that way. :shrug:
    Nor have I heard of many problems when their were recalls/TSBs where the dealer wouldn't fix it. Keep in mind they have to be able to duplicate the problem. That includes having the customer in the vehicle to show them when/how it happens.

There are times when customers have an issue and thier is no recall/TSB and they are sent away.
    Perfect example is the throttle hesitation with the new 4cyl Camrys. Toyota at first didn't aknowlege a problem.
    Bottom line no dealer/manufactuer is perfect. It would be great if they were though. :big grin:

14. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

It's a disturbing trend amongst many dealers. They lose business b/c they take the customer for granted.

15. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

I agree.
    I work at a Toyota dealer, and it sometimes bothers me how things are done.
    Unfortunately at the moment I can't do much about it. Until people make more of a stand on it [it wouldn't hurt if the manufacturer did something about it as well].
    I don't plan on staying at a dealer anyways.

16. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I'd say that's most of the reason why there isn't brand loyalty any more. The corporate way of dealing with people doesn't work, no one really cares what your company policy is, they just care if their car is fixed for a fair price in a reasonable amount of time. Any time anyone says "that's company policy" to me, I get really really pissed off.

17. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

It's all about chasing the almighty dollar......

18. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

whoa whoa whoa wait a minute. how do u get a loaded brand new f150 for under 30k?

19. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Yea, I'd like to see that!

20. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

didn't know the interior was so bland!

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Here's an example of a Lariat configured with typical options:

Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 6.5' Bed
    5.4L 3V EFI V8 Engine
    Electronic 4-Speed Automatic Transmission w/Overdrive
    3.73 Limited Slip Rear Axle Ratio
    18" Aluminum Wheels
    Leather 40/20/40 Front Seats w/Driver & Passenger Lumbar
    Power Driver's Seat
    AM/FM/CD Radio w/Aux Input
    Deluxe Mirror Package
    Tow Package
    Fog Lamps
    Driver's Keyless Entry Keypad
    Electronic Shift-on-the-fly 4x4 w/2-Speed Transfer Case
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    Privacy Glass w/Rear Defroster

Base:
    Invoice: $32,100
    MSRP: $35,525

As Configured:
    Invoice: $32,349
    MSRP: $36,750

Incentives:
    Retail Cash: -$3,000
    Financing Assistance: -$500

Dealer Incentives:
    Holdback: $1,102.50
    Blue-Oval Assistance: $404.36

Your negotiated price:
    Invoice minus all customer rebates (assumes you finance through Ford Motor Credit Corporation)
    $28,849
    Minimum Dealer Profit at negotiated price (Does not factor manufacturer>dealer promos/incentives)
    $1506.86

That is a deal that is very attractive for both the consumer and the dealer. It provides an excellent price on the vehicle, and gives the dealer reasonable profit.

And it's under $30k, as promised :wiggle:

22. Ingen

Ingen New Member

lmao, toyota reliability is crap? WTF?

23. Ingen

Ingen New Member

But if you finance through teh dealer... Eh, I don't trust that shit. I'll stay through Nationwide; they're on my side, after all.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

FMCC is *not* the same as finanicing through the dealer. FMCC is definitely a nation-wide big finance company. You could also use FMCC, then re-finance through whoever you want to pay off the FMCC loan... Or don't use FMCC and don't get the $500 incentive.

Regardless, still under $30k.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I had a 2004 Tacoma and currently have a 2005 Tundra. My father drove a 1989 Camry. Every year, Toyota reliablility gets worse and worse. I've got a folder about 2" thick with service orders, TSBs, and research needed to get dealers to actually fix their shitty product.