SRS Why am i not interested in anything?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by zaphod, Jul 31, 2006.

1. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

Basically... nothing really interests me. I think it's worse than most people. even my major doesnt seem that interesting to me. NONE of htem to, it's just my current major (film) is the least non-interesting choice....

the only thing that really gets me going is art. i personally chose not to do art as my major though because i dont want to be excessively poor when i pay off debts.

but art is really all i can think of. i love to ski.. but yeah. 2 whole things, wow.

i got a really nice guitar and lost interest after a while.

its bad because other people just 'try' things and they seem to like them. for me, just genuinely im not interested in much.

i hate sports.

this affects me in day to day because i feel like what i say isnt that interesting. who knows, maybe it is, but i feel like i can only feed off of conversations, and give random comments. i dont usually lead the conversation because nothing really interests me thats being talked about. usually it just goes in one ear and out the other. its really a curse, and it bothers me :(

2. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

If art is you niche - attack it.

Don't get into a profession for money, you will end up hating it. Get into a profession because you enjoy it, and the money you make, whether it's not as much as a different option or not , will end up being a bonus instead of all you're working for.

3. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

except i have many debts to pay off.. i was going to attack art later in life when im a bit more stable and i can focus on it.

even aside from that though, why the fuck cant aynthing interest me. it drives me nuts.

4. Xin

Xin OT Supporter

that makes sense then. Just don't lose sight of your dreams.

and idk..i think we all hit a stage in life where everything just seems 'meh'. You'll grow out of it and find more of who you are and what it is you exactly want as time passes.

I am very much so in a 'meh' stage right now. I don't want to work, I don't want to go school, I don't want to have a g/f, I don't want to be broke, I don't want to sit around and not be educated, I don't want to be single, I don't want to live here anymore, I don't want to talk to any of my friends anymore........the list goes on and on and it's all contradictions and at the end of the day I get nowhere. I'll find it someday what it is I was looking for.

5. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I picked my first major simply based on $. When I was in HS we had a career day where I saw that accountants made more then computer people. This was back in the early 80s. SO I chose acctng and hated it. I barely graduated and I really was depressed with life in general. EVERYONE kept telling me to just suck it up cuz I'll be able to afford a nice lifestyle.

Let me assure you that when you hate your job, no amount of money will make you passionate about it. When you aren't passionate about your work, then it becomes increasingly difficult to make yourself do that kind of work and it effects EVERY aspect of your life. The more I worked in this enviroment the more trapped I felt and I actually had to force myself to go into the office on a daily basis. That's no way to live.

However, when you are doing what you love and you are passionate about it, it hardly even feels like working. It's actually fun to go to work!!! Luckily I was transferred to another department (computer) and work became fun almost instantly. I would bounce out of bed early, stay late and often had to force myself to go home because I was having so much fun.

This is why at the age of 36 I decided to return to University and persue my real passion, computers. I'm 1 year from graduating with a CS degree and I have almost all As in my courses. I've had the top grades in a number of very difficult classes and worked very hard for them. However, it's fun. I enjoy it and I'm so thankful I decided to pursue this degree.

When I first came back to school, many, many times my soul would say thank you for finally listening.

6. Coottie

IMO nothing interestes you because you are violating your own needs. If you are anything like me, you need to do what you love. Not want to do, NEED to do it.

I needed to do computers and until I did, I wasn't happy at all. It was way beyond desire. It was full on need.

7. zaphod

zaphod Smashing Treats!

wow... :eek4: that really hit home. i never thought of it like that.

i am going to artschool then after i graduate..

8. Coottie

I found a lot of books helpful in this regard. If you are interested check out Zen and The Art of Making a Living.

There is a very direct tie to what we do for work and how we feel about life in general. g/l on your journey.