COMIC Who's your favorite character and why?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by The Sirc, Aug 30, 2006.

1. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

For me it's gotta be Spider-man.

I know a lot of people say that, but I have a lot of obscure knowledge of him. He's my absolutely favorite character ever because I related to him so well. And in a lot of freaky ways too. I mean up until the 10th grade I wasn't very athletic at all. I mean I had asthma, I had bronchitis, I was scrawny and stuff. But something happened and in 10th grade I all of a sudden became really athletic. My asthma disappeared and I started doing acrobatics, dance (ballet, jazz, etc.), martial arts, etc. etc. I dunno, it was just kind of weird. I relate to him really well.

2. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

I never really liked the whole topic of "who's your favorite...?" I always find that it's like choosing between children; or, better example: choosing between your left or right nuts. But it's obviously more complex than that. There obviously has to be some kind of answer.

When you look at it in more depth, there are varying degrees to which different characters are favored, and with each degree also comes different varieties of favor. So, whereas one hero x may be favored for reason P, another hero z may be favored for reason Q. So, to go a little more in depth, we have to define the different reasons of favor and understand the concepts of stratification of favorites.

What are the reasons that one may favor heroes? Well, let's define heroes. Some think they are people who fight for "truth, justice, and the American way." Others believe they are the people who perform reckless risks that others may be safe. Some heroes champion a cause.

But are heroes the only characters that can be favored? Certainly villains are worthy of idolotrous mimicry, or else we would never see children playing cops and robbers. Let's take the greatest villain in DC comics for example, Lex Luthor. He's smart, rich, organized, popular, powerful...but what about Superman? Sure, he's got all those superpowers, but when it boils off, all that's left is a pansy. Who wants to be a pansy? The cop. But for those people who will play the robber, that's the perk. They get to be the tough guy. They get to be the macho man.

So what? Well, here's my point. Favor lies in the nature of the man. We saw that cops want to be Superman, and robbers want to be Lex Luthor. Whatever inherent truths and tendencies lie within each person are exhibited in their desires, and therefore each different kind of person, be they evil or chaste, has a valid idolotry. In this world, all men are equal, and therefore all their desires that stem equally from their equality are equal themselves.

I have no idea where I was going with this.:mb:

3. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

i have too many to list. but one character i dont like is Quicksilver :o

4. Bobbot

Anyway, my favorite character is Moon Knight because he does jazz hands.

5. The Sirc

The Sirc Guest

You guys really ruined a good thread. I hope your left nut gets cancer.

6. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

been there done that

7. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I'd say Cap. He kicks nazi ass, and other ass as well.

8. Trungtastic

Trungtastic OT Supporter

Iron Man or Cyclops

I have no idea why

:o :o

9. rsxratedr

rsxratedr New Member

i have alot but i gotta say its superman idk y i just like him. He can do anything better then everyone and super strength,super speed, x ray heat vison, ice breath wow

10. Bobbot

I'll try to elaborate for you. Cyclops get all teh ladies. Cyclops is a manwhore. That itself is a thing to idolize. He can also look at stuff and blow them up. That's just cool. I wanna look at someone and just think "die..." and ZZRAK w00t, poof! And the visor is so Geordie LaForge, and he just effuses leetness.

Iron Man is a drunk who gets the job done and doesn't really need anyone else. And he gets all teh ladies. Hmm, am I seeing a trend here?

:hay:Hay everyone, Trungtastic wants all teh ladies!

11. Ando

Ando CDN Member

batman is near the top for me.

i really like the silver surfer and archangel because of their relationship with their respective creator; gaining power from their master and then eventually defying them.

12. Trungtastic

Trungtastic OT Supporter

works for me

13. void

void oh yeah?

wolverine's popular for a reason

action, explosions, 6 unbreakable knives, never-ending flesh...a heart of gold trapped in the mind of a madman :hs:

14. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Thor. I don't even really remember why/when he became my favorite, maybe from the F4 cartoon when he was one those two episodes. But then I got into the comics, got an action figure, etc. His feats and general bad assedness made him an instant favorite.

15. Bobbot

My favorite character is Doop. He/She/It is probably the most powerful thing on earth. I don't know much about Doop though; truth be told, little is known about Doop. Doop likes to take pictures and stuff, and has once brawled playfully with Thor with only a backup brain.

16. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

Batman. :mb: self made hero :mb: awesome gadgets :mb: He's the goddamn Batman! :noes:

:mamoru:

17. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

Spiderman for the same reason why other people like him so much.

But aside from him, Silver Surfer. :noes:
    He's so shiny.

18. Omegaboy

Omegaboy Scuzzy Psychout Merchant OT Supporter

Thats waay to hard to decide...
    Powers wise ide always liked to be someone like Havok...or Gambit.

When it comes to respect...Wonder Woman...i mean, she poisoned her own eyes just to kill the medusa. THAT is the heart of a warrior.

unfortunatly all-round favorite has got to be spidey...im sorry for such a redundant awnser...but its true. Classic superhero with well balanced and interesting powers and most always well writen.

19. Disguy

Disguy Batman > Moon Knight OT Supporter

my favorite is moon knight as well. Thats only cause i hate DC but love batman.

20. Vormulac

Vormulac The Greek

i'd have to say the Punisher, ever since i read Tyger something clicked, can't really explain it.

21. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Thor probably is #1 to me as well.
    Not sure why maybe because he's pretty much one of the powerhouses of the MU without being a boyscout. The fact that before Sentry he was one of the few heroes in the MU that sported a cape, also made him more 'majestic'.
    Some of the Legion characters such as Ultraboy, Timberwolf, and Wildfire )pre crisis versions) would be in the top 5 as well.

22. DevPool

DevPool So you like to play games, huh!?

On the serious side, Spawn. The early written one.

Just such a complex and well written character at the time. Everything about the man is inherently evil; his former life, his thoughts, his station, his powers, even his damn uniform, but yet he consistently gave it a shot to be the good guy. At least that's how I remember reading it.:o

That and I've always loved the anti-hero thing.

After him, probably Deadpool for comic relief.

Close #2 would be Wolvie or Bats or Supes. I've never given this much thought as I guess you can tell.

23. Hiero

Hiero New Member

Jean Grey > Psylocke > White Queen. You can't argue with the women he's getting.

I think I liked Cyclops back in the day because while he may have been considered a boyscout, I thought that meant that he had a sense of justice and morality about him.

24. Trungtastic

Trungtastic OT Supporter

Cyke had Psylocke?

25. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

yeah.. the dudes a complete whore

thats why I was rippin pissed when they turned him into a faggot in the movies

btw, cyclops for me