MIL Who's using the XM8?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Artanis, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Artanis

Artanis New Member

Anyone of you got equipped with a XM8 rifle yet? Or is it still a future plan?

2. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

its still far off in the future before it gets issued if it does at all...the army used to think they were going with the xm8 for sure, but now they started testing other weapons from various companies and are not sure which to go with. its gonna be a while, they are still testing them though. earlier this year Charlie Company from my unit flew out to arizona or somewhere to field test them and they came back very impressed. i was lucky enough to be able to hold some and mess around with them at AUSA last october. here is a pic of my buddy with one and pics of the various configurations of it. enjoy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

As much as I would hate to be a poor sport about this...I don't care about any new rifles 'cause I'm getting out of the army in 2 weeks.

4. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

WOW those look like some sick pieces man, specs anyone ? The Optics on those things look so incredibly badass. This calls for a google search and more pics to be posted stat.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The XM8 was a washout from the OICW program. After years and years and years of wasting most of the money in the program, they folks at Natick had to come up with SOMETHING to show for it, since they could never manage to get the weight of the OICW down to something managable, and they could never really perfect the technology to make it reliable. So, they, along with HK, forced this thing out, and called it the result, to keep Congress from going, "What the FUCK did you do with our money?!"

I would put copious amounts of money into a bet, with my side being that the XM8 will never go anywhere. It will never be fielded in anything more than a testing situation, and its testing life is probably done. The more likely prospect is that the SCAR tests will produce something that may eventually be adopted by the US Army and/or full military. As of now, the SCAR tests are for SOCOM, and are only for a small number of rifles. With FN winning the SCAR-L competition, we'll see who wins the SCAR-H competition.

The XM8, to me, looks like some cheap, plastic piece of crap, with no backup iron sights, no real modularity like the M16/M4 platform, and no real advantage over current weapons platforms. And a 9" barrel would be utterly USELESS to the US military, because they would never get fragmentation to any real range with M855 ammunition, which is standard issue. If the Mk262 ammo were in the kind of production that could supply a full military, a 9" barrel might get MAYBE 75-100 yds of effective fragmentation range, but it's only available to a limited application. It's being used in the DM role in Iraq and A'stan.

6. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

WOW Thx for the info :bowdown: , u should post in here more lol Any other cool weapons knowledge locked away that feels like oozing from ur fingertips to the keyboard... wait that sounded weird, basically more new gun info por favor.