Who's right and who's wrong?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supernaut, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Mmmkay, here's the situation at work. We were experiencing some trouble with a SQL-based application. Our incompetant database administrator deleted the transaction log as part of his troubleshooting. He came to me looking for a backup of the database. Our backup software cannot back up live databases, so I had set up a maintenance plan on the database about a year ago (even though it is his responsibility, not mine IMO) to dump a copy to another disk and keep a week's worth of backups. As I checked my tapes for a backup, I discovered that we did not have a backup since October. Looking into it further, I discovered that he had worked on the database in October without my knowledge and either deleted the maintenance plan or had reinstalled SQL and neglected to recreate it. My backups have been working without error, but I simply cannot back up files that aren't there. So our director came down pretty hard on me last Friday for not having a backup, but I believe the database administrator should have been responsible for creating and maintaining a backup to file of the databases, and my responsibility is for the backup of the database dump files. The director got the story of what happened from the DBA so I'm sure the story has a spin to it that favors him and not me. I'm going to talk to the director some more about it tomorrow and hopefully clear up any misunderstandings but was wondering what you guys think? Am I responsible to mop up the mess the DBA creates or is it a reasonable expectation that he be accountable for his databases and I be accountable for backups.

Cliffs: DBA stupidly deleted transaction log recently, deleted DB backup process 3 months ago without my knowledge. No backup available since DB hasn't been dumping for 3 months, who's responsible?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're both wrong, imo.

The DBA was responsible for getting you a dump of the DB, so that's his fault. However, it's your responsibility to backup the dump, so you should have been monitoring that. If the DBA failed to get you dumps since october, it should have been your responsibility to talk to him about it in october... Basically if you had checked that your job was being done, then you would have noticed that he wasn't doing his.

So I think you both gotta share some blame in this.

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

The DBA is responsible for backing up the database into the transaction log, which you would then back up.

Either way, ya'lls backup sucks ass. You sure you didn't have my boss do the consult on that? :rofl:

4. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

Your post clearly indicates you have no fucking idea what you're talking about, so consider your opinion discarded. :rolleyes:

5. MrMan

MrMan New Member

well clearly, you need to explain that to the director. Also, he shouldn't have been deleting files without backing them up first. So that's an error on his part. What I don't understand is (due to my limited knowledge with databases), if you are responsible for certain parts of the database and he has his own responsibilities... why would he have access to your parts. And is there anyway to make it so that your part (such as the maintenance plan) is password protected.
    As for any ethical issues, I believe this is due more to incompetence than an ethical issue.

6. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

I don't have any responsibilities over the databases themselves, though I do my part to make up for our DBA's lack of experience. My responsibility in this situation is simply the tape backup of a number of servers, including the server this database resides on. I should be able to rely on him having a DB dump that I can backup, since our software is ineffective in backing up live databases. I'm willing to accept some responsibility, of course, but I believe the director has a misunderstanding of the whole situation. IE he was told by the DBA that the database was not backed up but not given the details of the process, so in his mind it's simply a backup administrator duty and the DBA is absolved of any responsibility in the issue.

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

backups are mission critical and there should never have been any opinion about who was responsible - it should be clear to whomever is responsible that they are the one who does that. i have seen people fired over not having backups when they were needed.

if he didn't dump the database for you to backup then he is at fault. if the backup didn't run then you are "at fault", although mistakes happen.

8. __23skidoo

__23skidoo ...has the nuts

As a DBA, if I did something like that, I would expect to be fired.

No matter how mundane the process is, I check tyhe backups daily. And you really should be using Veritas with the SQL/Oracle add on. If its Oracle, and you arent using RMAN, your DBA is NOT doing his job. IMHO.

9. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

In my experience it's the DBA's fault, when you manage a backup system with hundreds of clients it's not feasable to go out there and verify you're backing up specific files each day.

Out of curiousity what backup software are you using.

RMAN is extremely useful when using a Tivoli TDP Agent for backups.

SQL Backtrack however i prefer over the TDP agent for Oracle.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005