Who's got an IUD?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by texansupergirl, Nov 21, 2005.

1. texansupergirl

texansupergirl New Member

just wondering if anyone here has an IUD or knows someone with one. im getting one next week and i was just wondering what were some of the experiences with it. im getting the mirena one by the way if that matters. thanks!

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I used to have one. Make sure that you check your string when you are supposed to;)
    I'm thinking about having one put back in actually.

3. pashy

pashy New Member

damn...are those things popular in the US still?

i'm 32, have never met anyone who has had an IUD, and obviously i know a few ppl. it's just not a method of birth control that girls here really even consider as an option. it's so 70's lol.

4. red97gst

red97gst New Member

yeah i've never met anyone that uses one.... then again i'm only 23 so maybe it's an older crowd type of thing

i guess it's popular for girls who dont want to fuck with their hormones? is that the main advantage? cuz every other aspect of a diaphragm i would think is a disadvantage given the multitude of pills/shots/patches, etc

5. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

The wife has one. She loves it. No problems what so ever . In some sexual postions I can feel it and the string can scratch the dick. So you just kind of readjust.

6. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

google is your friend..

Its also been talked about ALOT in this forum on a fairly regular basis.

My girl looked into it, but the doctors gave her this horror story about it ripping her up and being the most painful thing she could ever experience. I stood right there and told them that I had heard of many people having it done with NO PROBLEMS, but the doc finally said that if she wanted one she could get it somewhere else.

It was serious bs, but insurance wouldn't cover it anyways and she gets the pills for free.

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

It's not just not wanting to mess with your hormones, it is literally almost never having to worry about it. There is no 'forgetting pills' and it is more effective than a tubal litigation. Other than having to check the string every month (to make sure it is in the right place yet), there isn't anything you have to do. It is also very cost effective. There aren't any monthly copays like with other types of birth control. There are two different types, one that is hormone based and lasts for 5 years, and the copper IUD that lasts up to 10. There isn't any deciding to have a baby in the 'heat of the moment' so to speak, it actually takes planning and a trip to the doctor to have it removed.
    BTW- I had mine put in at 17 ;)

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Those doctors sound like they are full of shit and are biased against the IUD for whatever reason. I wish I knew what!

9. 0nthesp0tsgirl

0nthesp0tsgirl New Member

I'm 21, I've had mine in for about a year and a half now and I love it! I have the mirena too. I tried the pill: couldn't remember to take it every day and with the amount of sex I have, wasn't going to risk it. I tried the patch: it just made me feel dirty because the edges got sticky all the time and it made my skin really sensitive. I also tried the NuvaRing: I loved it, but after being on it for a little over a year, the hormones started driving me crazy, literally. So I was anti Depo because I worked so hard to lose about 60 pounds, that I really didn't have any other choice and I went to talk to the doc about it. She suggested the IUD and even though I had my reservations about it, I went home and did some of my own research and came back to talk to her. We decided it was a great form of bc for me. And I haven't had to think about it since then. I'm protected for another 3.5 years AND the mirena is actually MORE EFFECTIVE than getting your tubes tied. :eek3: :wiggle:

10. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

The only reason they would have to be biased against an IUD is that in a woman who hasn't given birth it may be harder to place because her cervix has never been stretched. More difficult but not impossible.

Some doctors are uncomfortable placing an IUD in women who have never had children but it can be done.

11. texansupergirl

texansupergirl New Member

thanks all! i feel a lot more comfortable now!

12. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I am well aware of that fact,and that didn't sound like what rvb was talking about (at least my interpretation)
    "My girl looked into it, but the doctors gave her this horror story about it ripping her up and being the most painful thing she could ever experience. I stood right there and told them that I had heard of many people having it done with NO PROBLEMS, but the doc finally said that if she wanted one she could get it somewhere else. "

13. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

Did you go through with it?

I want to hear how you are feeling.

I have had mine for almost 2 years, and I'm thinking about getting it taken out. I hate it. My cramping has never gone down, my periods are hell. I rely on Vicadin to make it bearable. I have the Paragard, so it has no hormones. I heard that with Mirena, you don't have your period at all after awhile :hs:

14. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

My periods really became hell at the end. Terrible cramping, horrible pain that would literaly double me over.
    I had an ultrasound to check the placement of my IUD and it turns out that it had slipped into my cervix.
    PLEASE have yours checked out! It is NOT NORMAL for you to be in so much pain with one!

15. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

I wanted one because I have a hell of a time remembering to take my pills sometimes... but my gyno wouldn't give me one. she told me that they don't even consider it for women who haven't had children before.

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Some won't insert them in women who haven't had children, others will. If you really want one, why not try Planned Parenthood?

17. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

nah... they don't sound like too much fun. :hs:

18. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

I've had mine checked twice because I was afraid I had PID. That was a nightmare. Nothing wrong with it. Some people just cant handle them. I have never had a pregnancy before, so that's why they think it was so bad :(

19. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Can I ask why you still have it then?

20. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

If u guys want to know what is it to fuck a girl with an IUD, just feed her pussy with some yarn and fish away............

21. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Hubby claimed he could never feel the string.

22. AQT4u2NV

AQT4u2NV Guest

Weight gain from hormonal BC

23. Daddy O

Daddy O Active Member

Yep, the technology is that old.....like me.

I had a girlfriend that had one, albeit several (30) years ago and maybe the technology has improved since then, but I doubt it, and it hurt like hell (for both of us). I had this feeling that I was constantly slamming "El Greco" up against a spring. She also felt some discomfort. Now then, I'm not that large, so it's not the "John Holmes" syndrome.

Personally, I have not had a very good experience with them, but other people have. Glad you're doing the research.

24. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Today's IUD is NOT the same as the one that was taken off of the market decades ago ;) Just to let you know.