GUN Who's an LEO?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seismic, Aug 4, 2009.

1. seismic

seismic New Member

I just signed up to take the entrance exam at the end of the month. Always been interested in it. Wanted to try for the FBI but looking at their requirements, that isn't going to happen as my grades were too low in high school/college to do it.

What can I expect? I've always had a ton of respect for officers. I screwed around when I was a kid, and got arrested twice by the same guy (misdemeanors) in the town where I'm applying to work. He left an impression. I'd love to be the sort of officer that could help kids out. :)

2. seismic

seismic New Member

Local PD for now, but the test is set up through publicsafetytesting.com which has links for a lot of PD's and SO's from the Canadian border to the South Puget Sound. I only clicked on one but I think I can submit the test results to multiple departments.

3. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Good luck. I'm most of the way through the hiring process for CHP.

4. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

You poor su--I mean, good luck becoming a mete--officer of the law. Say, did you hear an echo? Maybe it was just me...

(this forum--OT--really needs a strikethrough text feature, btw)

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

In backgrounds for LASD.

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

lol hater

7. no7fish

no7fish New Member

You shouldn't discount the FBI straight off. If you have a decent resume and some real work experience they probably won't care what your grades were so much. Give it a shot, it costs nothing to fill out the app online and wait to see if you are called for a phase 1 test.

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

this

I was going to try, but they said use of any drugs besides 420 in the past 10 years is a disqualifier :hs:

9. seismic

seismic New Member

The grades scared me off when I was going through the online app. One of my friends just applied and is giving me lots more information. I'll probably go back and actually finish the app since he did it... haha.

10. seismic

seismic New Member

Thankfully I did all that stuff when I was 16... just over 10 years ago :o

11. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

:squint:
    I might be in your neck of the woods too :noes:

12. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Good luck dude.

FBI is cool if you're young and unattached

13. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

it would be a demanding job, without great pay, terrible hours, and working holidays.

+ side, good benefits and pension

14. seismic

seismic New Member

Young, but attached. She doesn't like the idea of moving and taking our son away from family. That will probably rule out the FBI. :hs:

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Took my buddy about 5yr in Dallas, and 3 in LA before he managed to get a transfer back to his hometown here.

16. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

:rofl: Merced/Atwater and Los Banos are the two nearest me, AFAIK. I'm just a county type, so I get to hand off most DUI and all TCs to the local CHiPpies.

Just some friendly joshing. Couple of our part-timers who work the courts are retired CHP. So's one of the DAs, the cool one even.

Good luck, watch out for an old-timer named Duggan. I forget which substation he was last working out of though. If you run across him, watch your back. He's been....well, somewhat petty, shall we say, in the past.

17. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Around here it is a demanding job with good pay ($53k the first year, with a 4% raise every year after that plus a 2-3% COL raise each year), either amazing or shitty hours, and working holidays (which you get paid double time for). The benefits are awesome as well.

The hours around here are 4-10s, meaning 3 day weekend every weekend. Swing shift is amazing, since they work 3-1am, and it never feels like you have to wake up early. My department is also very nice since we are one of the only true Metropolitan departments in the country. We handle the City of Las Vegas, plus unicorporated Clark County and all of the smaller towns. To get into the rural part though, you have to have at least 6 years experience and know how to do things like accident investigation. On the plus side for them, they make 20% more than a regular city cop.

18. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

:eek3: I drive through that area a lot...if you see a gray Titan with NRA stickers, don't taze me plz

19. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Did you check into it much before you signed up? Those misd arrests are a disqualifier for some depts.

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:eek3:

where you from, bro?

21. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

I'm from CO, but I currently live in CA for school. GF is from the Madera/Los Banos area and I'm down there a fair bit.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool: im in merced at the UC

23. seismic

seismic New Member

Every department that I checked out only mentioned felonies.

I'm thinking I may have to postpone the test, though. I might not meet the physical requirements in a month. trying last night I could do 15 push-ups (need 28 for sufficient points), 10 sit-ups (need 34, but I was doing them without someone holding my legs) and I ran for about 10 minutes before I got itchy legs. Lactic acid is gay. :o

I'm sure the itchiness will go away in a week or so of trying. I was in a boxing class for a few months a few years ago and I was doing 60 or so pushups an hour while in that, so I'm thinking I should get back to doing ~30 in a month. I'll see how I feel in two weeks and reschedule if I need to. It costs $20 to reschedule so its not that bad.

6 months in a job in sales with no physical activity owned my shit.

24. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

You should keep working out after you test too. Those who only meet the minimum requirements out here generally suck in the academy, since they do a fuckton of pushups and shit in the first 2 weeks.

25. seismic

seismic New Member

Yeah, that's what I was planning. I like being active, it's just easy to slip into a bad routine when you aren't getting any exercise..