Whoring out some pictures of my 12" powerbook + a mini review.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by untoastytoast, Jun 29, 2005.

1. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

First, zee pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:naughty:

Now for the review.

I've really enjoyed using my powerbook for the 6 days that i've had it so far. It is amazingly small and light (it's dimensions are about equal to a piece of lined paper), and in my opinion the screen is the perfect size. The switch from Windows XP was suprisingly easy, and in a few hours i had all of my media and essential files transferred over to my powerbook. On to the pros and cons.

Pros:

• Size: Like i mentioned earlier, it's very small and light, yet the screen and it's resolution are the perfect size.
    • Looks/Design: In case you haven't noticed yet, the whole powerbook line is fucking gorgeous. There are no extra latches or hooks to get caught on anything, and the aluminum looks sweet.
    • It's runs OS X: This one should be pretty obvious, and after using windows a while, i'm pretty confident that os x is superior. This whole bullet is kind of pointless though, since i'm pretty much preaching to the choir.
    • The trackpad: This is one of my favorite parts of it. The trackpad somehow has the perfect amount of sensitivity to touch; you don't have to hit the pad to click it, but it doesn't accidentally click on anything. The scrolling feature is also sweet, I don't ever have to touch the arrow buttons.
    • Sleep mode: The sleep mode is flipping sweet. I love being able to basically shut down and turn on my computer just by closing the lid. I barely ever actually turn off my powerbook now, i just put it to sleep.
    • It is pretty powerful: I haven't truly tested my powerbook to it's full potiental yet, but the only thing i have come across that it couldn't do so far was edit/play back a project in garageband that had 8-10 tracks.
    • Being able to connect wirelessly: This is a pro of all laptops (whether windows or mac) because most sold today have a wireless card, but it has been one of my favorite features so far so i thought i woud include it.
    Cons:

• Hot hot hot: It can get really, really hot. After only an hour or two of use too. The next thing i'm going to buy for my powerbook is definately an iLap.
    • It isn't very quiet: This is a direct result of the last con, after i have been using it for an hour or two, the fans start to come on at varying volumes. It gets annoying, but if i let my powerbook cool off for a minute or two, the fans turn off.
    Cliffs: Overall i really love my powerbook even if it is a bit noisy and hot, it's a sexy machine that runs a great operating system, and if i had the chance to do this over, i would buy a powerbook again.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  2. inamorata

inamorata New Member

good buy

i have the first model that came out, 12-inch 867 powerbook

got it the day it came out and couldnt be happier :bigthumb:

its 2.5 years later and i have NO need to upgrade.....its awesome

3. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Now i can't wait even more for mine to get to me :bowdown:

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

heat + aluminum = burned nuts

thats my only complaint but it comes with the territory

5. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

exactly how loud does it get? loud enough to bug the person sitting next to me at school?

6. untoastytoast

It only gets annoying when i'm on my computer by myself and there is no other noise around me. If people are talking or i'm playing music on the computer, then that drowns out the fan noise.

7. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

Would people hear it sitting next to me in a lecture hall?

8. Kirk Hinrich

Kirk Hinrich New Member

No. ( I have the same powerbook) The only time mine actually gets loud is if im running like 10 things at once. (playing music, watching a movie clip, surfing, typing in word, garageband). If I was in class, wehre I'd probably only be typing and maybe have aim open, it makes no noise.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

my pismo gets just as hot, if not hotter!

congrats on the purchase!

10. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

man I can't stop staring. very nice.

I wish they would bump up the resolution a notch... other than that, it's pure sex.

11. untoastytoast

That was my intent with the picture part. :wiggle:

12. RG

RG New Member

nice :eek:

13. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:werd:

i've fallen asleep with mine on my lap while reclining on the couch a few times recently. :o

good thing my wife isn't in any hurry to have kids. :)