Whoah... my plans for a mini iHome package is slowly becoming a reality

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bolicious, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Okay, help me with my plan.

1) I want to use a Mac to create a Digital Media Center. I would listen to my music and watch my movies on this.

2) At the moment, I plan on using a mini after the Intel chips are added. I like the size and price. I want to hook it up using a 50" DLP HD TV I will be buying.

Now, I can only assume and hope that Frontrow will be added to all the Macs eventually. If not added, at least have the remote with a non iPod dock USB IR Receiver and the Frontrow software all for sale as a package that I can add to the mini. If this is the case, I will definitely make this idea happen.

So... if that happens, what would I need to do to get a Mac Mini to play movies through my Surround sound and into a TV? Given the current mini specs out now, what will I need to add to the mini. I currently have a 5.1 system running through a receiver. Would I need to upgrade the video card? Is there a special external sound card I need to buy? I'm not too knowledgeable here so any help is appreciated.

The TV has the following inputs: 4 composite video, 2 component video (Y, Pb, Pr), 3 S-video, 1 PC/VGA, RF, HDMI. In case you need anymore info, this is the TV I am getting: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat31800050029&id=1110265593054

I am willing to get any model of the mini that I need, but i don't plan on doing anything other then using front row and iTunes on this thing, so i want to keep things to only what I need for it's use. Do I need to upgrade memory for something like this or am I fine with just 512? Also, is the $499 model fine for what I need?

TIA

2. fishyhell

fishyhell muscle68>catholic school children

Good luck on doing what you want with a mac mini. The video card i doubt would pump out something to look half decent on a 50" DLP. the sound card would be a tough one also. I know you can get a 5.1 card USB thingy.

Edit: You'd have better luck with a Powermac G5 that you put a better sound and video card in.

3. samm

samm Next in Line

I have my mac mini hooked up to my 56" Samsung DLP from time to time. It's nice to use the bluetooth keyboard & mouse to sit on the couch and browse the web. To play movies with surround sound, you'd have to buy something like the Griffin firewave. However, stereo sound works just fine. I watched a few movies from my mac mini hooked up to the TV via DVI and it looked great. Better than my non-progressive scan DVD player.

I would max the RAM in whatever mini you buy. Also, the hard drive is extremely slow. I plan to buy a ministack or some other external enclosure and put a 7200 rpm hard drive in there to speed things up.

Edit: here's a USB device that has an optical audio output http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

4. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

5. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

as he said, i'd go with an external firewire device for sound to get full 5.1. But a mini wouldn't/shouldn't have a problem driving the video as long as it can do 1366x720.

6. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

Awesome guys... thanks for the info :bigok:

7. A stock Mini will do just fine. For iTunes, get the cheapest one you can find.