Whoa...MP3 players got good, and I didn't notice

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by brembo, Mar 17, 2002.

1. brembo

brembo Guest

I was at best buy today, lookin for a Sony Memory stick reader, and stumbled across the MP3 player section. Took a look and noticed something. Some players have in excess of 5 gigs of storage. Intriguring I thought, so what do they only play .wav files? Nope, they play mp3's. Quick math in head...holy crap, thats bordering on DAYS of music. VERY interested at this point I start comparing and end up with a Archos Jukebox 5000. 5 gigs on a Fujitsu HDD. You can store files, mp3's whatever ya want. Amazing. Come home, plug up the USB to the comp. watch the thing install itself, and away I go. I started with a bit of a "burn in". Dropped 1.3 gigs of mp3's on it, took about 5 mins +/- min or two. Then upped some autocad files. Worked like a charm. Had it plugged into the ac adaptor while doing this, since it was dead as a doornail upon opening the box. I then decided to see how the read ahead cache works. So I unplugged the bugger and washed my car, did some light cleaning, listening to tunes. That was 11:30 am when I unplugged it. Its now 9:00(almost) and the thing is still goin strong. Close to 10 hours of music, and I have yet to hear the same song twice. And I have 3.1 GIGS of space left on it. Amazing. And the Nomads have 20 gigs! Portable HDD's that play music. Add a screen, and you have a pocket entertainment center. I cannot belive I let this technology slip under my radar.

2. Lava Joe

Lava Joe Guest

And the price was...?

3. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

my ipod was good =]

4. brembo

brembo Guest

Oh sorry...heh. 169 w/out tax.

5. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

shit, only 169 for 5 GIGS? dayum i need one :wtc:

6. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

They want 249 here:(

7. Guest

Guest Guest

that's a killer price if you ask me. :eek:

8. WrxLova

WrxLova Guest

Nice. How big is it.

9. HardTech

HardTech hungry

my roommate had a 20 gig one

20 gigs have been out for a long time nwo

10. AMD PwR

AMD PwR Guest

nice, sounds like i need to invest in one. more info please. are they as light as those crappy 32mb ones? or as small for that matter. just wondering

11. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I bought a Archose Jukebox Studio 20 (www.archos.com) from a Best Buy here in Houston. Im not too big on technology, but having 20 gb of harddrive at the gym is great! Plenty of music, and at times it doubles as a external HDD for my laptop. It ran me $300, plus I paid extra for the Best Buy extended warranty.

Just a piece of advice to those of you who have one. Always "Eject" the unit. Don't just unplug the USB cord :big grin: