who would win? rx7-240sx-prelude

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bmxenbrett, Feb 14, 2005.

?

who would win (1/4 mile)

1. 88 RX-7 1.3 liter (non-turbo) all stock

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. 97 Prelude 2.2 liter all stock

23 vote(s)
    65.7%
  3. 90 240sx 2.4 liter all stock

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

i know the rx7 would beat the prelude. i (the 240sx) never raced eather of them, the RX-7 is a friend of mine he told me that he beat the prelude by almost 4 cars. o and im not to sure on the specs on the prelude but i do know its stock

poll attached coment:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2005
  2. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

dont' think a stock 88 non turbo rx7 could beat the prelude by that much if at all.

a 97 prelude has 190 or 195 hp depending on tranny choice, 156 lb ft of torque at about 3000 lbs. low 7 second 0-60 for the manual, and low to mid 15 sec 1/4 mile times, again for the manual. not fast cars but i think the prelude would win.

3. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

my friend won against the prelude so i guess the prelude is slower. he did tell me that the prelude had him off the line but after 2nd gear he was ahead. the rx7 lost traction of the line

4. fknfast

fknfast Coming to a QB near you

when i had my prelude i pulled on hung right with and beat (driver issue) v6 mustangs and camaro's, all i had was exhaust an intake, all pulled on a stock sc300. i think its a drivers race with those cars giving the edge to the prelude.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:ugh: I don't know how you can vote for the prelude... That's just not right. I'd have to say 240sx

6. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

thank you!! well i wont know the results until another 2 weeks or so, its going to rain the next of the week and my friends car is at his house. il keep ya posted

7. Brigante

i can shit faster than a STOCK 240sx. it may make a great car to trick out, however in STOCK form, they're slow and dont' handle as well as a prelude INspite of being rwd. all you nissan butthumpers need to get your heads examined. (and no, i'm not defending honda. i don't even own a honda)

8. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

LOL your not even worth any more of my time

9. Brigante

a stock 90 240sx has what, 140hp??? a 97 prelude has at LEAST 50 more hp advantagae which is sufficient to compensate for its heavier weight. a 90 240sx will get to 60 high 7's/ low 8's and a low 16 second 1/4 mile time at best while a 97 and up prelude is capable of low 7 seconds/ low 15 second 1/4 mile times.

these are #'s i found through a simple search on google. and it took me no more than 1 minute. and i'm wasting YOUR time?

10. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

no one held a gun to ur head and made you read/post in here did they?

any one can search on google and find an 1/4 mile time but not every one can actualy race it and find out. the 240 also has more torque then the prelude, it will also grip better right after the line RWD

11. Brigante

torque gets you off the line, and rwd is obvioulsy better for drag racing i'll agree wholeheartedly but when horsepower takes over, the 240sx loses. as long as the fwd gets moving the preludes better top end would pull it through where it counts, in higher rpms where you'll be most of the time in these races. the 240sx power dies out when the prelude just starts building power. and sorry, even with the torque advantage, the 240sx horspower is insufficient to pull it past the prelude by the time the race is over.

12. LarryZ

LarryZ i love sticky rice

just bring the race on. why bother e-arguing over some figures? :hsugh:

13. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

yea thats what im saying it wont be until another 2 weeks or somthing

14. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

You guys are kidding me right? The vast majority of KA powered 240's are complete dogs. Throw a turbo on there and it's a decent performer but still not great. I cross shopped back in '99 when I picked up my Prelude and the left over '98 240's. It just wasn't a fair comparison...the Prelude was faster, handled better, had better interior space, and wasn't much more expensive. The stock KA which also powers the '93-'01 Altima and various Nissan trucks simply isn't a performance motor out of the box and it takes a bit of money to get it up to par. The ghetto mac strut suspension also has zero travel lowered but doesn't matter if all you're building is a drift car.

Considering you're rolling in a '90...with its sweet 12 valve SOHC KA24E, you're making 140hp in a car that's almost comparable in weight to a 5th Gen Prelude. Torque numbers aren't bad but the car has zero top end along with an iron block engine that weighs more than an Chevy LS1.

Do yourself a favor and swap in at minimum a dual cam KA or an SR and add a turbo. The single cam is ancient and can't outrun a stock Prelude as slow as that is.

I've been at the track running against plenty of SR powered 240's and they're still pretty slow in near stock form...basically anything short of a full turbo upgrade. Even w/ 60ft-lb of torque and 60+hp on your car along with significantly lighter b/c of the aluminum block...most of them ran mid 14's.

I was running them in an auto Maxima...pulling 13.7's w/ 2.4 second 60' times b/c of the lack of traction.

Jollyogre,
    I know you love Nissans and all but the 3 valve KA of that era was already a dinosaur in 1990. 140hp and a 6000rpm redline do not a performance car make. Not in a package that weighs 2700lb. A 4 cylinder Accord today has better power/weight. Hell it didn't really outpower an Accord EX back then either. I've spent more than my share of time under the hoods of Nissans and there was a ton of complete BS they cobbled together and sold through the 90's. Their near bankruptcy meant they had zero focus on performance and centered on moving as much metal out the door as they could.

15. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

the 90 KA has an 6.5K rpm and what do you expect out of an auto maxima.
    also the prelude has the F22 motor not the H22

16. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

im kinda suprised that no one voted for the RX-7 espaly because he already beat the prelude lol

17. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

if you read the first post in the thread i stated that i dont know the exact spects on the prelude, there i proved you wrong now you shut up:asshole:

18. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

If it's a '97+ Prelude it has a 195hp H22A...unless it is an automatic and then it has 190hp. Only the previous generation had motor options w/ either the F22A w/ between 130-135hp, H23A w/ 160hp, and the H22A1 w/ 190hp. The Prelude actually also makes more peak torque...though at a higher rpm, it maintains more torque overall through the powerband. It's making as much peak torque as the KA all the way to 7000rpm whereas the KA is making less than 110ft-lbs at 6500rpm.

I did get the redline wrong for the KA (I was thinking of the truck variant which does redline at 60000)...but not the weak hp ratings and the fact that it has 12 valves, horribly overweight cast iron block.

19. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

yea the prelude has the F22, what does the SI only come with the H22?

20. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Si comes w/ the H23...93-96 Preludes w/ the H22 are called Prelude vtec's. If it's a '96 or older then it can have the 135 hp single cam F22A engine which is which will most likely lose to you unless you're running on 3 cylinders or a flat tire.

21. fknfast

h22a4 preludes were the stateside versions of the type S prelude that japan offers...the h22a4 is rated at 195 and the type S is rated at 220.

H23's like others said were the 4th gen ludes (92-96) which were slow, but offering a slightly quicker vtec model than the regular base prelude

5th gen prelude>1990 240 the 4th gen prelude would be a better race for it

22. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

thats what is it its, the one with the F22

23. fknfast

24. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

the prelude is the F22, so my best guess on the year was wrong it must be an -96.
    lol and no im not running on 3 cylinders or a flat.

25. Cuidado

Cuidado New Member

[​IMG]

this is like a battle of who's got the better nutswinger car