A&P Who would have thought?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by anthem404, Oct 6, 2007.

1. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

Certainly not me.

I was browsing around looking for Nikon D3 sample shots just to see how its high ISO performance was, seeing as I can't get usable shots from my d200 at 1600.

Found these, and I was just blown away (Now yes, it is ken rockwell, but hey, test shots are test shots.):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/example-images.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3...n/originals/Dave_Black_Basketball_ISO6400.jpg

The first two were taken at 6,400 ISO and are, from my experience (not a lot mind you), very usable images. If I could pop off shots at 6,400 for sports and whatnot, I'd be a very happy person...

Thoughts on a Nikon that can handle noise well?

Also, forgive me if these images are old news. I didn't find anything on search..

2. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

how can you not get usable shots on your d200 at 1600?

I get usable shots off of my d80 at 1600 all the time.

But I do have to admit the D3 6400 shots are badass.

Nikon not handling noise well has been bullshit since the d70 came out. The only camera that has a real advantage is the 5d. And now that's not even the case since the D3 came out. Concidence that they're both fool frame? Nope.

What it comes down to is that larger sensor size = less noise...

3. anthem404

anthem404 not my cup of mud

I can get usable shots, I just hate the noise on them, so I don't choose to use them. So bad choice of words on my part.

The only two nikon camera's I've truthfully used would be the entry level d50 and my d200, both of which have very noticeable noise at high ISO levels. I'm picky about stuff like that...

Now I just need to sell my house and car to afford that d3 :wtc:

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Yeah, compared to the full frame cameras, the dx sensors do have some noise, but thats not a nikon thing. It's a sensor thing. You won't find much of a difference in the canon cameras on the same levels. The d50 = the xt, the d8 = the 30d and so on. Before, Nikon didn't have a full frame camera, so the 5d > Nikon as far as noise. Now thats no longer true.

The people that will come here and say otherwise are just spouting BS and haven't looked at the images for themselves.

If noise is your main complaint with your D200, look at getting a noise removal program, such as neatimage or noise ninja before you go and take out a 2nd mortgage. I've printed iso 3200 images at 16x20, and they look fantastic.

5. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

lol @ ken rockwell

6. e.pie

e.pie Active Member