Who wants to be helpful? Motorcycle question.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Astringent, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

I'm a motorcycle newbie. I will be getting my license this summer. I am looking for a cheap bike, preferably a bit sporty.

I would REALLY like to spend $2500 or less for my first bike, but if it's worth it, I am willing to chuck up to $5000 (absolute top limit) for a bike if it's something I will keep around for a while.

Here's an example: I was at the motorcycle dealer during lunch, and while I was absolutely LUSTING over the Yamaha YZF6 (I think), as well as the R6, the only thing in there that I would actually pay for was the Kawasaki Ninja 500, for $4500.

Help me out guys. Looking for new or used.

cliff notes: New biker. Want bike. $2500 or less, $5000 or less if it's something worth keeping. Help.

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Everyone says to get something crappy as your first bike because you are most likely going to drop it anyways. :dunno: I want one, but have to pay off my car first.

3. PatrickB

PatrickB I bring you the pancake bunny!

You should be able to find a first bike for $2500 or less. Check ebay and local papers.

Dont go to the dealer and get a new bike. Get a used one because you will probably drop it and fuck it up anyway. You dont need anything great to learn on.

I would say either of those bikes would be okay to learn on as long as you dont over do it but they are at the top.

4. sjsharks14

sjsharks14 He's thrown a kettle over a pub. What have you don

My first bike was a yamaha FZR400 it was great to learn on. You should be able to get a good FZR 600 for around 2,500. They are pretty dependable and fast. After you have that bike, you would have a better idea of what suits you.

5. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

I'd probably kill myself in an R6, so I'd pass on that even if money weren't an object.

I don't want something I'll outgrow in 2 months (like a 250). I want something that will keep me entertained for a while. Any suggestions on what would make a good used bike? Reliability issues? I want to be riding the thing, not paying for it at the shop.

6. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Ducati 900 :)

7. MrSlappyPants

MrSlappyPants New Member

buy a used bike. www.cycletrader.com or www.ebay.com (to find one then look at it in person with someone who knows how to ride and can prpoerly evaluate it). Its your first bike, you'll most likely drop it. You don't want to do that with an r6 or something. also that would probably be more than you can handle for a first bike.

I HIGHLY recommend a suzuki SV650. If you want it to look hot get a set of full fairing for it. These bikes are great learner bikes, look awesome, handle like a dream, and once you are ready for it, are REAL easy to make them go fast with a few simple mods. In fact, these bikes handle so well, and can be made fast for cheap, so if you head out to any local race tracks for bikes, the MAJORITY of the amateurs will be riding SVs because of how easy they are to handle. If you want to see some cool pics of what SVs can look like go to www.svrider.com

IMPORTANT.. when figuring your budget subtract about $1000 for gear (a GOOD SNELL2000 helmet, armored leather jacket minimum... full or 2 piece suit recommended, leather carbon/kevlar gloves MINIMUM, and boots recommended). Think of it this way, how much is your skin or brain worth to you?

8. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

Awesome info. I just looked and someone here at work actually has a blue SV650. I also forgot to consider the cost of riding gear. :o

So my budget is now $2000 to $4000. :o

9. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

Where are you? I have a 91 cbr600F2 for sale in colorado.

10. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

I just got in riding last year. And I had no idea what I wanted so I looked around and got what I found a deal on. It was a suzuki 650 savage ( its a little cruiser) to learn on. I know its not much but its serverd its purpose. And for what I paid for it I can sell it this spring. I've ridden my unks yzf600r alot and like it but I'm not sure what I'm gonna get. I'm looking at either the yzf, sv650 or the honda magna:dunno:

I think its gonna come down to insurance. I know the 1st two are gonna be higher but I'm not sure how much yet. And I cant see paying $1000+ for insurance on a bike when I can get a cruiser thats worth more $ and still the insurance is cheaper

11. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

I might be getting a 1988 Kawi Ninja EX500 next week :x:

Perfect beginner bike (my first), and he only wants $1200 with around 10k miles.

Also Suzuki GS500s are sweet starter bikes.

I don't know how new you want though either...

12. PatrickB

PatrickB I bring you the pancake bunny!

I had a katana 600 for my first bike. Everyone makes fun of them but they really aren't that bad a bike.

13. Actually, the "newest body" RR and the F4i are not the same bike. The exhaust is not the only difference.

Do you have any experience prior to this? If no, I would say go with the EX500. If yes, I might recommend the SV650.

Definately do spend ~ $1000 on gear, and I also heavily suggest taking the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course. You can find locations at http://www.msf-usa.org. I was going to find the exact link, but the site is down right now. They are usually held at local community colleges, though. Costs vary ($110 for me), but it is well worth the money. You may think it's dumb since they just use 125 and 250cc standards, but I currently ride an R6 and I believe very strongly in the MSF course.

Before you buy ANYTHING, check with your insurance agent. You might be surprzied how much even the EX500 could end up costing. Motorcycle insurance varies more than anything I've ever seen though, so don't be afraid to shop around.