GUN who shoots in competitions?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BeanesCivic, May 22, 2003.

1. BeanesCivic

BeanesCivic My Gerbil is faster than yours!!

most likley a repost, but im new to the arsenal.

bench rest, silouhette, steel plate, etc.

my dad had been shooting i.p.s.i.c.(or whatever it is) and steel plate.

i just started shooting steel plate.

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

i shoot to gain skills, so no, i don't shoot competitions. i used to shoot for the marksmanship team in ROTC, but that was a few years ago.

bench rest. is that even shooting? the only reason i can see using a rest is to zero your rifle or check that it's actually sighted in properly. if you shoot from a rest most of the time, you're not doing anything more than just blasting rounds, no matter how slow you shoot them. there is no practical use for a bench, and you will not find them in any situation in which you will find yourself using your firearm.

/benchrest rant.

3. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

not everyone buys guns for self defense. some people just want toys to play with.

4. meat-head

meat-head Guest

i think benchrest shooting is kind of neat. fine tuning your rifle and loads to be as consistant as possible is pretty cool in a gungeek sort of way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2003
  5. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I don't like the gamesmanship in IPSC, but I still love to compete. I just try to improve myself.

Right now I am shooting production because it is cheapest. I probably will never get a race gun.

6. Sideways

Sideways Do I look like I give a damn?

I currently shoot production class in local matches, but I have just begun to consider IPSC shoots. It would probally finally give me a reason to justify ordering a custom Les Baer.

It's more casual, but I was all set to go to the Springfield Armory Challenge, but had a last minute thing come up :mad:

I could have owned.

7. BeanesCivic

BeanesCivic My Gerbil is faster than yours!!

benchreest shooting is very popular, we had a national match a while back and had people from canada to nevada show up. its a very close competition, try puttin groups of 5 in groups less than an inche @ 100 and less than 2 @ 200. when they measure, its to the thousandths. but it is quit boring and slow. and the people arent as friendly. it was crazy how everyone lived hundreds of miles from each other, and almost everyone knew each other.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

nismo, you might run into one of my friends who goes to north georgia college. he's on their high power team, and your team just might meet his at like camp perry or something. he just got his reciever back from RRA after they adjusted the trigger up to the 4.5 lb. requirement for DCM, and he's got his lead weights in it now. it's a heavy bastard.

9. KW

KW Guest

I do tactical rifle matches in my area. The rules are pretty much safety oriented, otherwise it "run what ya brung". The various stages are scored on time and accuracy, and the targets range from 5-10 yards out to 250+ yards. They're held in a dusty rock quarry, so reliability actually comes into play. There are a lot of stages where you have to run, carry stuff, go prone etc. Lots of fun, and great training.