Who owns bandwidth?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jebus Christ, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Jebus Christ

Jebus Christ Guest

Like when we pay for an OT subscription to help fazle pay for bandwidth, he pays some company to host the traffic right? But who "owns" the internet in the sense that someone has to ultimately host all the traffic and monitors it all. Is it regulated by the government like phone lines back in the day? I've always wondered this, someone please tell me. Thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no one "owns" the internet. Tier1 providers own fibre runs between metro areas, and they have routing agreements at peer points. So in reality the internet really is public because no one company owns any specific part of it -- it's simply a matter of them owning the runs that data is transfered over... And there probably isn't any 1 area that isn't serviced by more than 1 provider.

3. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I always say Arin owns the interweb, even though they really don't.
    http://www.arin.net/

This thread made me wonder what company hosts this place, or does Fazzle own his own servers and pay for bandwith?

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

He has his own rented space in a building that has Cogent 100mbit service.

5. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Colo..

As far as who owns bandwidth, it's really not an owned tangible entity.. however as ogre mentioned, it all relies on a physical infrastructure. Tons of organizations, providers, schools, everyday people that own pieces of this infrastructure. As you pass through each providers "owned" link, you are passing through on "their" bandwidth.

6. kamiraa

kamiraa OT Supporter

A company figures out how much ussage will require how much resources of there company, they break it down and charge enough to cover all costs. Like on a wide scale if you have a new client that will require X (big) ammount of traffic, you will require new servers and electricity to power em, and people to maintain, new bandwidth from your provider (they need bigger and more capable servers), and it goes on and on, until that is you reach the top. . . .

, Those main companys that make the links between eachother just have to deal with massive ammount of equipment and demand, at that level the costs to them is not paying anyone above them, but equipment, electricity, people to run and maintain, etc.

I think I did a shitty job explaining it, but hopefully it helps.

7. kmg90

kmg90 New Member

Well they can own their own servers and store them where ever the only cost would be the power needed to run servers and maintenance if needed