GUN Who owns an AK-47?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Small Block LSX, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

Post your pics. Also, what is a fair price to pay for a qualiyt AK? What are the best brands? What do you look for to make sure it's not a pile of shit?

I'd liketo get an AK incase they decide to bring back the AWB.

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

in, but it is in parts, and no pics :/

Honestly, after going through the process of getting a receiver, kit, 922r etc, it really is worth it just to buy one that is already asembled.

3. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I am getting one this year and I am looking at a Vector Arms for about $500, my friend bought the same one and he loves it

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I've got a couple. An early Ban era SAR1, and also a Hungarian AMD I assembled last year. I'm not sure what is currently available. But I've heard to steer clear of the WASR's unless it's a great deal. How much are you looking to spend?

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

um, based on what I have heard about hunting, I would say no, unless its in .308 or a 12GA siaga....

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You want a 7.62 one I take it? If I were buying one today the ones topping my list would be Polish underfolder, some of the Arsenal's, SAIGA conversions Those will all run $550+ for NIB.
    In the used market I would look at Chicom's, bulgie manafactuered SLR's, Hungarian imports.

Most of the imported AK's are pretty nice quality cept the Romy's, with domestically assembled kits just make sure its from a good builder, avoid anything made by hesse or vulcan.

Price really depends on what the rifle is, you can get a nice lightly used MAK90 for $400, or you can spend $1200 for a nice preban polytech or preban Hungarian.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Another board im on member hunts wild hog all the time with a SAR2.

8. Small Block LSX

I guess I'd like it to be fairly "cheap". I just spent ~$2400 on my RRA AR-15 DEA model.

I found this one that looks pretty clean. This one runs ~$725.

[​IMG]

However, I really like the look of the "older" looking ones that have the wooden foregrip. :)

Also, here are some Century Arms AK047s. Doesn't sound like a bad deal for ~$362+ shipping. Anybody have any insight on these?

http://thegunsource.com/store/item.aspx?PID=48120

And, I was looking at the big boy. I'd like to have a 7.62x39. :big grin:

9. Small Block LSX

I don't know a lot about Vector Arms. However, I have seen their MP5 variants that look pretty decent for the price. Does anyone have the Vector MP5? :o That is on my list too. :x:

10. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Looks like that one is in 5.56.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I believe either AIM or IO had converted WASR's with 2 mags and bayonet for $320 or $330. The WASR's are ok but you may have to straighten out the front sight post they sometimes come canted, also they sometimes have trigger slap so new FCG maybe needed.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

[​IMG]
    Wise Lite Arms build on Ohio Ord.

13. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

wow. thats gross

here are mine, the first pic the top is a century wasr. straight gas block, sights, etc. it will feed anything and shoot everything. no jams after 1000+ rounds. the bottom is a century yugo. its got the 1.5mm thick reciever. it shoots great as well. the wood on the wasr needs to be refinished IMO, but i dont have the time and dont want to mess it up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2007
  14. Small Block LSX

This is the description:

15. Small Block LSX

I'm kind of a gun noob, so this is greek to me. What is AIM, IO, WASR, trigger slap, etc? :wtc:

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html AIM and the gun in question, IO is another distributor InterOrdinance

WASR's are single stack romanian AK's, now a days most are converted to accept double stack mags(standard ak47) They can be easily spotted by the lack of the dimple on the magwell. Trigger slap in WASR's is caused by the substandard fire control parts Century(the importer/maker of WASR's) uses in them when firing you could say the trigger is forcibley reset which can cause pain to your trigger finger, not all WASR's have this but its not an uncommon phenomenon.

17. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

18. Small Block LSX

So, you wouldn't recommend a century arms AK?

19. Y2kAccord

They are cheaper, but lower quality with thinner metal on the receiver, wood isnt finished, magwell was cut out, you have trigger slap due to odd fitting parts conversion
    Given its an AK, its just not as pretty, but will fire no matter what.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've got 3 Centuries, SAR1, SAR2, WASR2, I had a 2nd WASR2 I got cheap off a friend that had canted sights I fixed it and sold it. The other 3 had straight sights and no slap the triggers sucked though so i threw out the original fcg's. Both SAR's have RSA FCG in them and the WASR has a G2. The wood on all of them looked like shit but I sanded and restained and the factory wood actually looks pretty good now. The metal finish on all of them was pretty shitty so far I've only redone the SAR2 the others will follow.

In short not saying they are bad guns, as long as your willing to accept that you may need to tinker with them at first to get them running properly.

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

my century yugo has very nice finish... its got a thick reciever too. the wasr though... it could use some cash thrown its way in the form of restaining the wood, new pistol grip, and new FCG. ive already polished the bolt, it looks a little better. id get a century yugo again... infact im looking for another one now. its between the gunsafe and another ak right now. im running out of room :noes:

22. Y2kAccord

I would say if you are going to only get one AK get a nice one.. spend a little more cash

23. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The yugo's are nice my only gripe with them is the nonchrome barrel's. I'd opt for one of the Tantal's instead since they're in the same price range.
    My WASR2 and SAR1 are my beater ak's, till I got the WASR my SAR2 was a beater but I've since put some money into it refinished the wood and metal myself but then ended up putting Ruskie furniture on it, the only thinking from keeping the SAR from being my favorite AK is I cann't put a folder on it in NY :wtc: so for now my Norinco still holds the crown.

24. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Hey Squid, are Romy G kits chrome lined? (still havent dragged a bore snake through mine to check :o)

25. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Romy stuff should all be chrome, Yugo's are the only ones who dont use chrome lined barrels that I know of.