GUN Who owns a CZ 75?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, May 21, 2008.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

Thoughts? Opinions? I want a Glock 19, M&P 9, or a CZ 75/85 as my next pistol. I think I narrowed it down to a the CZ 75B SA or SP-01 for range use.

2. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

I still don't think I've heard anything bad about the 75's. I've heard a hell of a lot of good though.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Excellent pistols... Mine have replaced a small stable of full size 9mm's.

I had a SP-01 done over by Matt Mink, and sold it a while ago. For me, it was too big/heavy. I recommend checking it out before you buy. They are great guns, but small they most definitely aren't.

Buy a SA, and send it to Angus/Mink for an action job + competition hammer. I promise you won't regret it.

4. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

I have a CZ75

Hasnt failed me yet. I like the shit out of them.

5. johnson

johnson New Member

The more I read about the SP-01 the more I want it. Too big/heavy? Was it a carry gun?

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Negative. I was using it for a general purpose blaster, and had thoughts about using it for some comp work. I can't imagine it being practical to carry.

It's not a *bad* gun at all.... in fact I personally think it's a great gun. It just fit too small of a niche for me. They are supposed to bringing them out in a alloy (and maybe polymer) frame, at which point I'll probably be interested in snapping up another. As they sit now, I think they would be a great game gun due to the weight out front allowing for faster shots/less recoil, but none of the games I shoot require such a beast and I'm a fan of lighter/faster guns. I shoot my Angus built '75 in leu of such, and don't feel slighted at all.

You mentioned comparing the '75/SP01 to a G19.... That's not really a fair comparison. The '75 would probably be closer in form to a G17, and the SP01 more of a G34. The Compact/P01/PCR would be a closer competitor to the compact G19. I'm trying to score a PCR to build up as we speak, and I imagine once that project is complete, my short grip G17 (and a couple others) will be replaced/sold.

Pics and a better description of the SP01 (and the other CZ's) in the pic thread - http://forums.offtopic.com/showpost.php?p=99437570&postcount=1665

7. Morethanchris

Morethanchris New Member

My 75BD hasn't failed me with thousands of rounds through it. I love the shit out of that gun, although it needs a new extractor (my fault).

8. johnson

johnson New Member

Looking at the P01 now. What's the normal price on them?

9. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

nib somewhere around $500

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm a glock whore as that is what I shoot for competition and it's what I shoot best. I do own a nice CZ 75sa with a competition SA trigger and hammer installed by Kory Charland and bomar sights. The gun also has a np3 finish.

[​IMG]

Gun is very fast and has an excellent trigger (stock SA trigger was crap, but they clean up nicely). The magazine capacity is kind of low compared to a glock but many find the grip and grip angle more ergonomic. I recomend this gun for women with smaller hands.

11. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

i wanna get one by the end of the year......should i go with the full size one or the compact model? not carrying it

12. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I had an SP-01, I will probably buy another one, really nice gun for the range and competition.

13. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

The M&P is also a nice gun. I hadn't messed with one until I saw my bro purchased one and it grew on me.

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

New... Angus has them for $505 - http://czcustom.com/catalog/product...d=440&osCsid=c0b3e896f8b41c24e634c0778dc98cee

Given the reliability/durability of the guns and the depreciation of them (they don't seem to hold their value extremely well), I'd buy used, and spend the money I saved on an action job. I usually see them for low $400's on the various boards. I've snapped up all mine this way, and have gotten killer deals (think Glock pricing).

This guy here usually sells new CZ's cheaper than most, and seems to have a good reputation for business. he doesn't have a P01 listed at the moment, but I'm sure you could contact him and he might be able to help you out.
    http://czechpistols82792.yuku.com/t...7-2-CZ-75SA-9mm-VZ58-Military-Sporter-KS.html

I also scour ARFCOM EE, THR, CZFORUM (link above), CZSHOOTERS, and TFL. That's where I've typically seen the best deals.

That's a very nice pistola you have there, the NP3 looks sick. I'm just the opposite... I did the Glock thing, and found that I shoot better/faster with CZ's. Go figure.

Not looking to get rid of it are you?:naughty:

IMO.. it's a wash. I'd try and handle them and see what you thought of both. One of my buddies likes the compacts because he has small hands, but I prefer the fullsize myself (I wear a size L glove). We both carry Kahrs. Not because the CZ's aren't up to the task, but because they are still a little bulky (and Kahr's got the carry thing on lock:wiggle:).

15. johnson

johnson New Member

Found a pic of a P-01 and G19.

[​IMG]

With wood grips. :bowdown:

Photo by Ken Lunde.
    [​IMG]

16. Calhoun Burns

Calhoun Burns ...and the gunslinger followed.

17. johnson

johnson New Member

Do they come in a matte black (ken lunde pic) instead of a blued finish?

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I'm going to be getting a -75 as my first 9mm :hsd:

(cue assholes telling me to get a job)

19. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Get a job first you bum.

20. Calhoun Burns

Calhoun Burns ...and the gunslinger followed.

Yes. CZ calls it their Polycoat finish.

21. johnson

johnson New Member

Is the recoil on the P01 less than the G19?

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

recoil is a very subjective thing. It is different for each person based on their technique and experience.

Personally I think my 75 has more muzzle flip but cycles faster than my non ported glocks. It's a fast snappy recoil which is what a prefer over a slow pushy recoil (think 1911 in 45 acp shooting 230 grain ball). Slow and pushy is slow slide speed which means slower splits.

23. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

YOU GET A JOB!!!1
    [​IMG]

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well I'm sure a glock 9mm feels slow and pushy when compared to a CZ75 sa. Have you shot a 1911 with 230 grain 45 ball. To me it seems like the slide cycles in slow motion and I'm waiting on the gun. This is what I think of as slow pushy recoil. Many people like it though as it definately feels softer as the recoil impulse is spread out.

25. johnson

johnson New Member

Went to the store again. Strangely the the P-01 was priced higher than the SP-01.

I love the ergonomics but my short thumb had a VERY had time working the slide release. How important is this? Overall the gun wasnt easy to manipulate the slide because either the slide rides into the frame or the slide is smaller than the other guns. I also handled the G19 again and M&P9 and they felt good also.

Last edited: May 23, 2008