Who makes the best set of heads for an LT1?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by yer mom, Oct 20, 2003.

1. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

I might be getting a 95 or 96 Caprice as a sort of project daily driver. Im lookin to obviously add a little pep to it, any recommendations?

2. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

How much are you looking to spend?

If I were you, intake, headers, exhaust, 3.73s, shift kit, tranny cooler and a mild cam. That should all run you $2000 if you do all the labor yourself (minus gear installation) and net you atleast 375hp easy.

Heads will cost a lot more, but then youll have an addtional 40hp or more depending on how much you spend.

3. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

4. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

oh yes, all that is going on :bigthumb:

but i was asking about heads, just for fun :big grin:

money is slightly important, im looking to spend no more than ~$2,300 for a good set of heads.

5. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

edit...

http://flatlanderracing.com/heads_prolightalumsb.html

pro topline lightning...
    200cc aluminum heads are damn low cost at sub $1200 prices for aluminum and fully assembled

http://flatlanderracing.com/heads_protork.html
    pro topline iron torker heads
    Under $700 per pair assembled

its my recommendation to buy the heads bare, and buy a set of ferrea valves, some better springs, etc

however, the springs offered with the heads are much better than say, what AFR offers with their assembled heads...

look at the prices for bare heads ;)

6. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

thanks demon! any other reccomendations?

7. Demon Of Dreams

for heads? not really...
    pro toplines are better IMO than most other aftermarket heads for smallblocks ...

I'd even go as far as saying they're probably one of the better heads for big blocks as well

what else are you planning to do?

8. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

building up the rear, auburn dif, 3.73s, 3inch alum driveshaft, built 700R4. basically im trying to make the drivetrain bulletproof for daily driving, so i have nothing to worry about. so i was looking to add some pep to the LT1 as well. i figure heads and cam should be nice.

9. Demon Of Dreams

be careful with the built 700r4's ... you're almost better off just putting the cash down and getting a tremec 5 speed or a T56 for what its worth...

my reasoning is that even built 700r4 will have problems, plus it'd not be as fun :big grin:

T56 swaps aren't all that hard in the cars either and they'd still use the same length driveshaft...

as for a cam... not sure...
    I would say Ultradyne, but Harold recently moved up to lead cam designer and will be selling his cams through Lunati... he was the guy who got CompCams started with their better cams, then got screwed over...

So now, Harold is designing his cams with Lunati and they'll be selling as their highend cam's ... and believe me, they'll be worth every penny you pay for it.

with a cam though you'll want some nice expensive roller rockers, arp studs, new pushrods, and new lifters even if you currently have roller lifters :)

10. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

Are those LT1 heads? They look like regular smallblock heads to me.

11. GhostZ

GhostZ Guest

Unless you've already spent the $$$, I'd give a second thought to getting a 700r4.

Depending on how far you are planning to go with your car, IMO you'd be better off with a TH400 if you're planning on sticking with an auto or just do a T56 swap. Complete conversion kits are only $1500....less if you can find one in a junkyard.

As far as heads....again, it's what you can spend and how much you plan on modding her. For some serious flow #'s I'd suggest some LT4 castings and have them ported. As was already stated there's always the Arao's but besides the price, the associated parts, labor, time and effort aren't realistic in anything besides an all out drag car.

As far as cams, it really depends. Check out www.cmotorsports.com Comp just came out with a few new grinds or you can just get a custom grind to match your setup. Talk with Seth at Combination....he's a great guy.

You might want to take a look at their heads as well...or if you're just looking for a port job on yours, you might want to check with Lloyd Elliot...his contact info is over at cz28.com.

It all comes down to what you are able and willing to spend. I had my heads done locally for a under $1K for P&P'd heads/intake, milled, dome work, larger exhaust valves, machining and installation of springs.

12. bigsteve7

bigsteve7 OT Supporter

13. GhostZ

GhostZ Guest

14. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

this is all great info guys. thanks a ton!

ill be sure to post pics and dyno results when its done. :)

15. Demon Of Dreams

the second ones are... and if I'm not mistaken, all current aftermarket heads are made for the reverse flow, and can be used on older gen blocks

but that might just be for the bigblocks when they switched over ...not 100% on that

16. Demon Of Dreams

you're making me want to do a smallblock again!!

ya fucker!! :sad2:

I would love to do a 427 world block, TPIS MiniRam2, get a custom ground cam, and get a set of 220cc heads, low compression, forged internals, and a pair of turbos :hs:

17. yer mom

yer mom Pelvic THRUST

:wiggle: :wavey: