who makes the best grill guard for the new Tacoma?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by lathrash, Aug 10, 2006.

1. lathrash

lathrash New Member

i'm looking to buy a brush guard for my dad's "new" (2005) Tacoma. i want to know who makes the best quality product. i'm looking for something that can take a hit from a deer and save the truck from most of the damage.

i know ARB makes one that replaces the front bumper, but i don't think he will want something that heavy since it is his everyday truck. i heard Westin is good, but was told that they're product is not out yet. what do you guys suggest???

2. copeland

copeland smarter than you

dude if it's chrome it will suck ass....westin or whoever, they are just show parts...you want quality look up marlincrawler, allpro offroad etc...welcome to toyota!

[​IMG]

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Westin doesn't make their own -- they outsource a 3rd party design. And the Westins of the past few years are based on "looks" not function.

I recommend the ARB replacement. I've handled it in-person, and it's a well-built piece. Even has crumple zones positioned to not completely screw with airbag deployment.

The other bumper I recommend, which is even more stout than the ARB is the Tough Country. (http://www.toughcountry.com/)

edit: It appears that Tough Country now makes just brush guards... This may be perfect for you. Based on their pics and description, these look STOUT!

http://www.toughcountry.com/products/brush_guards_large.htm

[​IMG]

4. copeland

it may be a stout product but I'd be worried about the weakness of where it bolts on, especially if its just to the stock bumper...

5. lathrash

lathrash New Member

i won't buy a chrome one. black powdercoat looks better anyway. i checked out Marlincrawler but they don't have an application for the new tacoma yet and Allpro Offroad replaces the front bumper, which my dad doesn't want. he never goes "off-roading" as it's his new truck. he has a old dodge he beats on.

ARB also replaces the front bumper, which looks like the strongest piece out there, but my dad wants to keep his factory bumper and the ARB looks like it would add too much weight for a daily driver.

i looked at Tough Country and I did not see an application for the new tacoma, only the tundra. i'll try calling to see if they have one for the tacoma, but i'm guessing they don't if it isn't on their website.

thier website states that they mount to the frame... just fyi

6. lathrash

lathrash New Member

i just called Tough Country and they said they do have brush guards for the new tacoma.

so should i buy theirs or wait till October for a Westin? both cost about the same.

what do you guys think? i have never heard of Tough Country before. has anyone bought any products from them or know about their quality?

7. copeland

meh people can never afford to do it right the first time, but they can alwasy shell out the cash to do it twice.

honestly man, brushguards will not stand up to jack...can I suggest you look at the price of allpro to brushguard and then weigh the value...just cause he gets a nice tubed bumper doesn't mean he has to wheel it, but it will offer better protection...or even look for a local steel fabricaotr to fab something up for you. aby of those bolts on brushguards seem to be all show and no go.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Westin sells products for "looks". Tough Country sells products that "work".

Tough Country all the way.

9. sebeck

sebeck New Member

From what i've witnessed, brush guards don't do anything but protect against brush. The outer hoops on the edges will fold in when you hit something and leave a nice big dent in your fender. Better to go with a TJM or ARB replacement bumper. I have a TJM T15 and it's real strong. The price is higher but by the time you figure in the cost of a new brush guard plus body damage from the brush guard you will have surpassed the price of a TJM or ARB. Thats my $.02

10. lathrash

lathrash New Member

thanks for the info and input guys. i'll let you know what i decide to go with whenever i decide.

11. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

marlincrawler.com

they make them functional and they dont look like a horses ass on laxatives

[/thread]

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

roofles. Those marlincrawler bumpers look like ass.

13. lathrash

lathrash New Member

i don't like how they look either. and their web site states "Bumpers are built to order, currently there is a 6+ month lead time on new bumper orders."

Tough Country looks like the best bet right now.

14. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

function > form

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so get a tough country and have both function AND form!