A&P who knows the Canon i9900 Photo Printer??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jcolman, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Is it any good?

I can pick up a used one that includes about 50 sheets of paper for $175. :dunno:

2. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

that's a smokin deal! I've ran a couple sample prints through the one they have at MPEX and it looks like a good quality printer.

3. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

I own an i9900. It's a great printer and for 175 a steal. Retail when they were new was about 550ish, i think. I got mine for 425.

Like i said it's a great printer, i'll even go as far as to say it's awesome. That being said, i do wish i had done a little more research before i bought it though. I bought it before i learned in depth about fine-art inkjet printing.

The reason why i say this is because this printer uses dye based inks. Dye based inks have a wider color gamut, allowing for brighter/more vibrant colors and holding detail in the higher color ranges. The downside however is that they aren't as archival as pigment based inks. That's the advantage of pigment based inks. They're more archival. The downside w/ them however is that the color gamut isn't as wide. Colors can't reach the brightness/vibrance of dye based inks.

The reason why i say i wish i had done more research is because after learning this, and knowing that my imagery seldom contains really bright vibrant colors, it would have been smarter for me to go w/ an epson pigment based ink printer.

So that being said, the i9900 is a great printer if you don't need archival prints and you want a wide color gamut. Oh and also, Canon dye inks are cheaper than Epson pigment inks.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Would this be a good printer for someone who doesn't make a lot of prints just yet? In other words, do I have to worry about the ink drying out and clogging up the printer?

5. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

well when the printer hasn't been used for some time, it will clean the heads automatically before printing again, so you don't really need to worry about the print nozzles clogging up, but if you don't do a lot of printing, then you will be wasting a good amount of ink due to these automatic cleanings (although these cleanings don't use as much ink as when you actually use the nozzle clean function)

Oh another point i wanted to mention earlier. The i9900 is surprisingly fast for the quality. Epson printers are drastically slower.

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Thanks for the insight. I've sent the seller an email saying that I'll buy it. :x: