Who knows linux? (any distro)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by driftwell, Aug 24, 2005.

1. driftwell

driftwell New Member

So i'm looking to start learning linux and messing around with it in my free time.

I wanted to get some opinions on which distros would be best to learn on.

A few preferences:

- it has to make my older computers run faster than it does now on windows (which i think most distros do)
    - should have somewhat of a friendly GUI... I'm coming from windows and don't want to be completely lost
    - the distro(s) should have enough of a following that I can join a forum or something to help me figure out things i can't for myself
    - free! afterall... this is just to learn on it... I'd hate to pay for something, get
    frustrated with it... and feel like i just waisted money

The goal of all this?

- to learn linux
    - learn how to do things in linux that you can't do in windows (or do it much easier/more efficient in linux than windows)
    - and eventually become an anti-windows person (even though 100% of my career is based off microsoft products hahah)
    - oh and learn how to build linux boxes/servers to do purpose built things (aka server, DVR system, PVR tivo, etc..)

2. sholnay

sholnay New Member

Im just gonna quickly say Fedora - I havent had much linux experience - but I know this distro is very friendly and powerful at the same time. Setup is a breeze and there is definitely a huge following. http://fedora.redhat.com/

3. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

SUSE is also a great distro to get started with

4. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I highly recommend getting started with something like Ubuntu linux. It's a great desktop solution, and you can still compile and build your server solutions from scratch, without having to deal with RPM hell (redhat, suse, etc). When you are familair with the linux environment. I strongly suggest moving to Gentoo. :coold: If you want to move to a more server based environment, Debian is the only answer. :cool:

5. driftwell

driftwell New Member

cool thanks guys...

as i did more research... i ran across knoppix.... apparently this will let me run the distro without having to install it to a hard drive.

I like this because I don't have to install anything... i wanted if you guys would say that this is a good distro to start with?

BTW... i'm trying to get my hands on an old PC... when i do.. i've already d/led ubuntu and will be installing that if i don't get too used to knoppix.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would highly recommend Ubuntu. If the default GNOME GUI is too slow, install XFCE4, which is much faster. http://www.ubuntulinux.org - forums at http://www.ubuntuforums.org.

Edit: Knoppix is a great choice, at least for trying things out. You could also try the Ubuntu LiveCD, since it's exactly like a default Ubuntu install, just running off CD.

7. kevlarface

kevlarface New Member

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You hit the spot, bro.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

XFCE4 is really a slick interface.

10. Penguin Man

:werd: I used it back in the day before it had features (circa 1999) on my Pentium Pro 133. Returned to it this past year and now I use it at home, at school and at work. It's awesome.

11. driftwell

driftwell New Member

so i can take any linux-based OS (aka ubuntu, knoppix, etc...) and use it with any GUI (aka.... GNOME, XFCE4)?

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

More or less.
    Some distro's don't play well with certain GUI's.
    Ubuntu doesn't seem to like KDE very much...hence the release of Kubuntu.

You'll find that most distros have a live CD you can run.
    I run Ubuntu 64 on my desktop and Gentoo on my notebook. Gentoo seems to be a bit quicker, but Ubuntu is more noob friendly.

13. driftwell

driftwell New Member

cool...

i'm gonna check out ubuntu (and kubuntu)

whats the program that allows windows-based programs to run on linux? Was it WINE?

14. Penguin Man

Yes, Wine. Or, if you want a fully-emulated Windows desktop, VMWare (although it's not free and is a bit of a resource pig it does work very well).

With regard to your previous question about GUIs... Yes, of course! One of the wonderful things about Linux is that it is so customizable. With any distro I can use any desktop environment (or no desktop environment) and for each desktop environment there are many customizable themes.

15. driftwell

driftwell New Member

penguin man... i see that you might be an ubuntu fan hehe...

I'm downloading the install CD right now for it... do all of the programs (such ndiswrapper and WINE) already come "pre-packaged" in the install CDs?

BTW... i've already get kubuntu... from my understanding its the same as ubuntu but with a GUI on it... should I still bother downloading ubuntu?

16. Apothis

Apothis New Member

Kubuntu is nice. It's basically still ubuntu, just comes with KDE instead of gnome (I prefer kde). Unfortunately Kubuntu has it's share of bugs, on my 64bit version at least. For instance, KUser crashs anytime I try to make a new user. That, and my comp freezes up whenever I enable the nvidia graphics driver (can't play guild wars, but don't need graphics for starcraft at least :wtc: )

Also, I've had trouble dual-booting. Obviously Windows wants exclusive rights to the boot drive, but apparently so does Kubuntu, though it won't admit it. I either have no windows at all (like now), or I get grub error 17. I got tired of wiping and rebuilding my sytem 3x a day trying to resolve it, so just said byebye to Windows all together, for the time being.

Anyway, that's just a little heads-up on Kubuntu, that may or may not even apply to you, but those are my gripes currently. I can't dual boot, can't use NV driver,and can't create more users. Other than that it's great. The user problem is surely with KDE, so I doubt it happens on regular Ubuntu. The grub and NV problems though .. :dunno:

17. driftwell

driftwell New Member

man... the more i look into this the more i realize that I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into... haha

i just can't believe that there can be that much of a difference in a GUI.

18. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I think I've decided I'm going to drop Kubuntu, too many issues. I'm now in the market for another distro. I'm thinking about going back to Fedora, but honestly I do not want a 4-5 CD set (me=no dvd burning yet). I prefer a small distro, like 1 cd. *sigh* I guess I'll start downloading Fedora. At least then I should actually have drivers for my RAID controller. (if my raid1 setup is working correctly in kubuntu, it doesn't look like it to me).

19. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

One advice... if you really want learn linux, scrap the gui. Go for command prompt ;)

Other than that...
    Centos4 is a good option. It is based on RedHat enterprise. Redhat's fedora is a good option. Ubuntu (as suggested here before me) is also a good option.

20. kevlarface

kevlarface New Member

I tired the live CD everything loads but the cdrom? it fails there. Any suggestions?

21. Penguin Man

Since you're running the system off a CD, you can't use your CD-ROM. If you install it it'll recognize your CD-ROM no problem.