Who knows how to Nlite? (slimming down XP)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by driftwell, Aug 29, 2005.

1. driftwell

driftwell New Member

I've got a older shuttle computer running a AMD thunderbird 1ghz, with 512 ram.

Its pretty old and am determined to use it to run Serato (Rane's digital music mixer).

So i want to slim down and stop all unnecessary services.

I was wondering if anyone here could help me with that.

Feel free to ask me what Nlite or SErato is if anyone cares :)

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I thought Nlite was used to slim down a Windows install CD, but the not actual already installed OS. Correct me if I am wrong.

3. driftwell

driftwell New Member

Nlite does both... slims the install CD (the one for my carputer is actually 167mb) and the post install footprint.

For instance... all my carputer OS does is play media and networking. All other services are either not installed or not running, and only the drivers for my particular hardware is on the hard drive.

That particular OS runs about 2-3 times faster than a regular XP install.

I'm assuming I can just run the same OS on this computer since all it would basically do is handle playlists and digital music.

And just for kicks... Serato is revolutionary method of controlling digital music... its actually controlled via vinyl (2 pieces of vinyl have source code printed to it) in which the control is indistinguishable from the real vinyl, but the music source is coming from an mp3, wav... etc..