A&P Who knows about video editing systems?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TheDilla, Apr 26, 2003.

1. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

I want to get a digital video editing system probably including capture card software and dvd-writer does anyone have any suggestion on this kind of system.

Mainly for editing and enhancing home videos layering multiple frames etc not really trying to do any animation.

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

Adobe Premiere is the best program for video editing. especially for DV capturing/editing

when i plug my DV cam into my firewire card, premiere can take control of the DV cam on the screen. it's pretty damn cool

depending on the quality you want to capture at, you might want to clear out alot of room on your hard drive before you start capturing.

i use about 3gig of HD space per 5 minutes of footage or so :)

3. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

adobe sucks dude... the thing it's got going for it is that it's cheap. if you're running PC and are going to 'borrow' a copy from a 'friend' (not that i'm endorsing any sort of actions like that, but good dv programs are $$$) try avid symphony

If you're looking to get an entire rig/camera, get a G4, final cut pro 3 or 4, hell 2's pretty cool too, just no realtime rendering, and a good DV camera (i perfer dv over digital8)... You can get an awesome dual processor G4 with DVD burner now for a little over a grand...

like TypeS said, any camera hooked up through the firewire port on yoru computer can be remotely controlled by sofware, so say if you want to capture footage, you can play, stop, fast forward, rewind, etc through the computer...

what's even nicer about digital 8/dv is the option to capture through timecode... it's a good practice to stretch and black a tape before recording (fast forward the tape all the way to the beginning, then rewind, then leave the lens cap on, record it for the entire length of the tape) that way you won't have any timecode breaks

then when you record, it'll keep the time code, and say you have vacation footage and only want to get certian parts... you can hook the camera up to the tv, have it show the timecode on the tv screen and like watch the footage... use a notepad and paper to record the times certian clips start and end, then plug the camera into the computer, and input the start and stop times for the clips, give them all names and hit record. the software will cue the tape to each clip and record it. saves lots of time

they also have firewire VCRs for if you have a VHS tape and want to use that to capture... the cheapest i've seen them go for is like 500...

4. Insey

Insey I can feel my cunt contracting

since when did they come out with final cut pro 4? last time I checked they had just released 2. did they skip 3 or something?

5. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

Well i have been thinking about building a new computer i want semi-professional setup i was hoping to stay with pc because it is more versatile. I saw the pinnacle DV 500 plus video capture card it looked pretty good for the price.

What i would like to do is take a bunch of old analog video reels and transfer them to s-vhs or dvd then select the best scenes out of the video reels, make like video collage, all the video is silent so i would like to be able layer gradually lnew scenes and throw a soundtrack on top of it(dolby digital). Is there a software you can change the opacity of scenes so you can have multiple scenes playing at the same time change. I would also like to be able change the way it is layerd like in photoshop where you can change it to color dodge, lighten, diffuse etc, i dont know if this is possible, finally i want to be able to create a menu and chapters.

That is what i am looking to do make a video collage basially, so what do you guys think is the best software to do all of this?

6. Joe

fcp 3 came out last summer, biggest thign was on the fly rendering

apple is hyping up fcp4 already, i haven't read anything or gotton to use it yet...

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

You may want to consider an older Avid express system. Plenty of them for sale on e-bay. A guy here in Raleigh was selling one for $700 complete.

Cheers
    Jim

8. Insey

so apple is trying to get fcp to rival avid MC? can fcp do everything in real-time with software or does it need special hardware?

9. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

can somebody please explain to me what real-time editing is and on the fly rendering is or just give me an overview on some of the most basic topics in nonlinear video editing

10. Insey

RTE (real time editing) is basically when you can render transistions in real time without having to wait for them to render on the soft side.

11. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Ok let me break it down for you.

Some quick glossary terms
    DV - Digital Video
    TC - Time Code
    RTE - No need to render effects and transitions, the system does it on the fly
    NLE - Non-Linear Editing. Unlike tape to tape editing NLE to follow a non-linear editing path thus giving you more options.
    FCP - Final Cut Pro
    Avid MC - Avid Media Composer, de facto (for some reason) standard in professional editing

Now, if you for some reason decided to stay on a windows based machine please stay far far away from Adobe Premier. It is a horrid piece of shit software that should of never seen the light of day. Adobe makes only 2 products worth buying, Photoshop and InDesign, don't ever forget that. Now, if you decided you are going to stay on Windows, your only real option is to pick up something like Avid DV Xpress. Note I said "pick up" instead of "go out and spend $3000 on", Kazaa is your friend in this case.

Now, the smarter way of going would to go out and buy a Apple PowerMac. They are going for as low as $1,500 new these days for dual 1Ghtz systems. That's a incredible price for this machine. You said you didn't want to go the Apple route because Windows is more versital; to that I say that you just need to take a deeper look at what has gone on with Apple in the past two years. Everything you could possibly need (except games) is there for Apple and you get an incredible amount of open-source software too.

You also get access to FCP. It's $500 if you buy it with the student discount from the apple online store, $1000 full price. It is the absolute best solution for DV editing. I've done a lot of high-level editing work on it and never fail to find a new way of doing something every time I fire up the system. It is knock down and drag out the best editing system in the market for the DV editor. I'm doing my senior thesis film on it and I promise you, it is up to the task. I chose to edit it on FCP instead of using the $80,000 Avid MC we have at school; that's how good of a system it is.

Then again, if you are going to just edit home movies, there is no reason for you to even have to buy FCP. As soon as you fire up your new Apple (it doesn't matter what model you buy) you can use iMovie. Let me tell you, iMovie is probably one of the most intuative piece of complex software that I have ever seen in my life. This isn't Windows Movie Maker or Sony Viao MovieShaker. This is a very well built piece of software that comes free on the the computer.

If you decide that iMovie is too limited for what you need but don't feel ready to step up to FCP you can always try FCP's little brother, FCE (Final Cut Express[/ul]) Think of it as FCP without TC editing and higher-end professional editing features. I also have FCE on my computer and for quick edits it's sometimes better than FCP. The way I work is I shoot and edit on location using FCE on my iBook and then when I get to my editing station at home I just transfer the project files to FCP and, boom, all my timecode info is there and I can work just like if I had done my initial import in FCP.

The point is that if you want to do anything with DV you need to get a Mac. Apple has DV editing on lock and there is no reason, save gaming, that you should "need" a windows computer. I'm not an Apple rep or anything, just someone who started using one about 2 years ago and now could never go back to using windows again.

12. LEGbEND

LEGbEND .

my brother might be selling his setup. all i know is its dual processor, raid setup, and a really nice capture card.

let me know if youre interested and ill get the specs.

13. acabrera

I'm not trying to shit on you sale attempt, but unless you are trying to bring in analog sources you really don't need a video capture card, you just need a Firewire board. In fact, the best thing you could do is save the money you were going to spend on the capture card and spend it on a Sony DV VTR so you don't wear out the heads on your DV cam

Here's what I would do

Apple PowerMac G4 Dual 1Ghtz - $1,500
    - includes 2 Firewire 800 ports
    2GB of Crucial.com PC2700 Ram - $200
    Maxor IDE 200GB 2nd HD - $200
    Final Cut Express - $300

Total: $2,200

14. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

Thanks for the info, ill check into a powermac im not ready to buy right now, im just saving up and checking out products right now.

what do you think as far as capture cards? I will be working with analog video i was think of the pinnacle dv500 plus it seems like a good midrange capture card for the price.

what video format does apple use? quicktime? how much hardrive space would be required i have a lot of old video i want to go through and edit and i was wondering if it would be better to get a raid system or just capture the video on put it on my harddrive if a raid system is better what kind of info do you have for me?

thanks for all the info :)

15. acabrera

everything is QT based, but you can bring in any format. I've brought in to FCP from 8mm analog to 1024 HD streams.

For what you are using, I suggest buying a Lacie Firewire 800 d2 external HD, around 200GB. WHat you would do it bring in everything using OfflineRT which is a compressed video codec. Then you would do your edits and when you go to recapture you set it to caputer only the footage you used in your final edit at the highest quality setting. To learn more check out http://www.apple.com/software/pro/f...tp://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/offlinert.html

16. Joe

:werd:

also, when you say you have old analog video, what sort are you talking about? 8mm? 35mm? vhs? beta? 70mm? knowing the quality of the video you want to capture would help in suggesting what sort of capture device and method would be most benefecial in terms of cost vs quality

17. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

well most of the home videos are coming from vhs, i do have some 8mm projector reel video that i had transferred to s-vhs and dvd so i would probably just transfer it from the dvd

18. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

well most of the home videos are coming from vhs, i do have some 8mm projector reel video that i had transferred to s-vhs and dvd so i would probably just transfer it from the dvd.

So i was thinking the dv500 plus by pinnacle but maybe you guys could suggest something better in the $500-$1000 range for a capture card