Who knows about RX7's?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by dmt4595, Apr 14, 2009.

1. dmt4595

dmt4595 OT Supporter

So, I work at a BMW/MINI dealership, and sometimes we get some pretty good deals on trade ins. We just got in a 1993 mazda rx7, twin turbo, 5 speed, but its a complete beater. I'm pretty sure its got a clean title, its got 290k on it, a big exhaust leak up front somewhere, some nice clunking in the rear suspension, the shifter is so sloppy you can literally move it around in a circle while its in gear, its got a sweet rust hole in one of the rockers, a huge chunk out of the rear edge of the spoiler, and its pretty rough overall. The good news is that it seems to run pretty well despite all that, and my boss is letting me buy it for such a retardedly low price that I can't pass it up. I've been reading up about a few of the problems, and it seems like for the most part, it should all be fairly simple to fix - new bushings for the rear suspension, new shifter/bushings, a flex pipe/downpipe/midpipe for the exhaust leak, remove the haggard spoiler.. I'm not looking to fix it up all that much, just enough to use it as a beater car to keep the miles off my other car and beat the hell out of it until it dies.

If anybody is knowledgeable about these cars let me know - any info or help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. balzac

balzac not now chief im in the fucking zone

what price are they asking?

3. dmt4595

dmt4595 OT Supporter

its not for sale, it got traded in, and i bought it the next day.. i'm going to fix it up a little and drive it to keep the miles off my other car

4. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I know a lot about their performance, and only a little about how their like to live with.

Where do I begin?

Well, one of my friends bought a '95 or a '96 turbo model and I directed them to a road I used to go very fast on (usually about 75 though every corner, even in my '97 ford aerostar rwd van) and he almost crashed us doing about 50 on a corner because he had no idea how to handle a car like that, even though he'd been driving a '97 firebird trans am since 16 (i guess we were both 19 at the time, but he never ever goosed it) although he was able to regain control of the powerslide before we crashed I always felt because of the way he drove (which was always light as feather before) that the car had a way-to-lose rear end. If that's what you're looking for that's your car.

I could go on and on, according to the person he bought it from they had replaced the engine twice and was on the third one at 65,000 miles. Neither my friend nor I knew how they drove the car prior to his purchase, and I lost contact after a few days of him getting that car, so I don't have anything much else to report on the reliablility of it.

5. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

DO NOT DO AN LSX SWAP CONTRARY TO WHAT 99.5% of OT MORONS WILL TELL YOU!

when you buy RX, you step into a whole new world of vehicles. dont expect it to be as easy to take care of as a civic with a D16. It'll take time and passion. If you do not want this, donate the car to me and consider it preservation of the Rotary Xperiment.

kthx. :)

BTW, She's a beauty with potential for sure.

6. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

i agree with CBF

I hate seeing LSx engines in rx7's/z cars. Blatant disregard of the car's original intention/design.

7. nj0ywatch1np0rn

nj0ywatch1np0rn New Member

they should've added more torque as their original design!

But this is coming from someone who is working on a LS3 swap into a R1 FD! The rotory is a great motor, don't get me wrong, but I need me some raw power!

8. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

I was |---| this close to buying a 93 cym 7 a few years ago. Car was mint. So I told the guy to hold it for the weekend so I could get a bank draft on the Monday. Well wouldn't you know that the local rx club had a meet that Saturday. I swear, out of about 20 guys with 7's, 16 of them had their car on jacks because of some issue.
    That was kind of a sign for me to back away.

So I bought a dsm:mamoru:

9. GammaRadiation

:hsugh:

The nature of design of the rotary makes it's power band way up there.

It's a track day/weekend drive on a back twisty road car. It isn't something I would want to drive on a daily basis. People have all the wrong ideas about rotaries and how they should be used.

Then people like to have complete and udder disregard as to how to maintain and use the engine. They do things like not allowing it to warm up before turning it off and driving around town with the RPMs WAY below where they should be for cruising.

Why I like rotaries?

"My car engine can run in the same rev range as your bike engine, but my power band starts way lower...and it's turbocharged...oh and I can do it for at least 24hrs straight and the engine will still be running like it did when we started."

10. nj0ywatch1np0rn

nj0ywatch1np0rn New Member

That's true. The only reason the motor gets such bad reps is people don't don't care of it. It requires a tad more tender loving care than most but will reward you! But that goes with about any motor in general.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It has raw power, you just don't know how to use it.

Supposedly rotaries are most appreciated by sportbike riders, because they're used to hitting 10,000rpm in first gear.

Interesting tidbit, since the relationship to motorcycles was brought up: the wankel rotary was originally developed as an oil pump for motorcycles, then later adapted to engine use.

Anyway, it sounds like it could be a reasonably-good deal if you can get parts for wholesale prices.

12. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

3rd. If you want a pushrod V8 in your car buy an American vehicle.

13. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

www.rx7club.com

use it. you'll learn alot there.

I had a 91 fc T2. fucking loved that car, modded it to hit 230ish hp, was the best car i've ever driven.

once you really learn the rotary engine they are cake to work on, so easy to work on.

i miss them:wtc:

14. dmt4595

dmt4595 OT Supporter

well, i went to work on it more today, and it was a lot worse than i thought... As i was on my way over there, a guy i know asked if he could come check it out, and agreed that it was bad.. it was wrecked twice, once in the side, once in the front, and it was rusting all around where they welded in the new quarter. the rear suspension was fucked up from the wreck, everything in the engine was leaking oil, it was just overwhelming..

the guy builds cars for fun/money, and offered me 10x what i paid for it, so i sold it to him. i dont have the means/money to fix it up to what the car deserves, and i need the money to maintain my M3 anyway, so it works out for both of us. He said he is planning on putting an LS7 in it, and making it a barely streetable drag car, and he said i can drive it when he is done with it.. should be sweet, assuming he actually does it

15. GammaRadiation

I was like "great, at least it wont be junked" until I got halfway through the 2nd paragraph.

What a fucking waste.

I'm gonna drop an RB26TT into a Hemi Cuda because it's more modern and I feel it is a better engine. :rolleyes:

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:rofl:

I read about a guy that dropped a BMW straight six into a Cuda for drag racing over in europe.

17. wallydog11

wallydog11 New Member

:werd:

RIP rx7:sadwavey:

18. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

I don't even care about the engine swap; I think an LS7 Rx7 would be excellent...but making an Rx7 to do ONLY drag is kind of retarded...that car's forte is in the twisties...you can buy a shitty handling trans-am with a bulletproof rear end/suspension and do it without sacrificing the car's main ability..

19. c0ldf1ame

c0ldf1ame New Member

20. GammaRadiation

On that matter I entirely agree.

My Hemi Cuda example was because the HEMI is what made the vehicle just like the rotary is what made the Rotary eXperiment. A Hemi cuda with any other engine in it is just another muscle car just like an RX with any other engine in it is just another Japanies coupe.

21. triXx

triXx Im the crack being smoked by your dealer

rx7club.com good site to learn, i own 2 88 rx7's atm and have the non turbo sold. the 10th AE needs a tune, but still runs like a bat out of hell. i work on her constantly. and every1 says its unreliable. i just call it preventative maintenance. 100-200 now to save a 8k+ engine build sounds very reasonable to me.

22. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

:rolleyes:

If rotaries weren't such unreliable, gas-guzzling pieces of shit people wouldn't be swapping them out.

23. GammaRadiation

:rolleyes:

The only people with reliability problems are people who dont know what sort of car they bought and therefore do not maintain them correctly.

The only people who complain about them guzzling gas are probably running a NA rotary and dont know how to drive a rotary in the first place.

24. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

I love rotaries. I've owned a lot of them, and loved every single one.

That being said, I would swap an LS1 into any and all of them in a heartbeat. Besides cost of the swap itself, there is no downside. The same, if not more power, better mileage, etc.

Its a useless argument. Some people prefer the purity of not swapping a car's heart, others want the awesome suspension geometry paired with some good 'ol fashioned muscle. Most times, the fact that you're so butthurt about it makes it that much more satisfying.

And I think an RB26 in a 'Cuda would be too cool for school. Maybe the Hemi can go in the Skyline haha.

25. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

Sports cars don't need to be unreliable, require ridiculous amounts of maintenance, or get shitty gas mileage to be awesome. It's a fucking Mazda not a Ferrari. LSx RX-7 done right is better than a rotary powered rx-7 in almost every way given the same amount of money spent.

The reason why the rotary is still an "experiment" after 30 years is that Mazda still hasn't worked the bugs out of the engine design. That being said, pretty much any sub 20k FD with a rotary is going to be a rats nest of problems which can be solved by swapping in a v8.