Who is OT's resident Mac expert??

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rev. Johnny Vegas, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

3. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

a bunch of us have our own strengths and weaknesses in this area...why do you ask?

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

what he said. :)

5. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Shoot the questions....we might have the answers :mepoke:

6. dmora

dmora Guest

werdy

7. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Okay, well I'm considering buying either a PowerBook or iBook in a month or so. It'll be used as my websurfing, general computing box (all my gaming, processor intensive stuff, primary storage, etc. will be done on my main desktop). Even though I'm not planning on stressing the hell outta the thing, I don't like to buy underpowered computers. :big grin:

So...

I know that the Mac desktops these days are powered by the G5 and the notebooks are still on the G4. How dated, slow, whatever term you want, is the G4s that are used in the notebooks? Would a ~1.2Ghz to 1.3Ghz based computer be noticibly slower than a 1.5Ghz notebook, i.e. including the price difference?

Next question is about RAM and memory use on Macs. I know memory use on WinTel boxes is pretty piss poor (my laptop has 768MB and desktop has 1GB because of this). All the iBooks come with 256MB and the PowerBooks with 512. Is this memory sufficient or should I factor in an additional 256MB to 512MB RAM into the cost? If so, do Macs use standard memory, so I could get it off Pricewatch instead of from Apple.

I've got more questions, but I'll start with those. :)

8. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i have a 12" powerbook as my primary computer. use it for web surfing, school shit, and programming. some games here and there. mines the G4 1.33GHz with 512ram. no problems with it what so ever.

9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

^^^

This guy

10. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

The processor speeds are better between models, but nothing to really go crazy over if you are just doing web surfing and shit. The best thing you can do is just upgrade the memory. The memory is processed so much better in Macs then PCs, so it really is a very noticable boost in performance. It is recommended that the memory be at least 512 for OS X (which is stupid that they still have 256 on iBooks). I would max out the RAM and no, you don't have to buy Apple's. Actually I recommend that you don't. Shit is way overpriced.

Keep in mind that you will get more features with a PowerBook then you will with an iBook. You didn't say what size you were going to get, but the 15" & 17" PBs have light up keys. All PB models have the new scroll pad (awesome), larger harddrives, better graphics cards, super drive options (only the 14" ibook has this option), standard Bluetooth built in, nice aluminum case (that may warp tho), and on and on ...not to mention the bigger processors.

11. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Err.... I'm 90% not going with the 12" models. Either the 14" iBook or the 15" PowerBook. Kinda depends on how some of my finances shake out here (annual bonuses are coming up real quick :big grin: ).

12. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

The only downside to the 14" ibook is that it has the same screen resolution as the 12".

13. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Hrmm.... That kinda bites, but I really want something larger than the 12".

14. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

if mobility is playing a key role in your purchase, then the 12" is PERFECT for it. i got the 12" PB b/c i wanted to carry this thing to class with me through out the day and to work (i work in an office on campus). my campus has wireless internet, so i definitly make use of that. i also travel alot, whether it be to/from home or for business. 12" PB is my perfect solution.

15. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

you'd be more happy with the powerbook than the ibook.

16. maczter

for an extra $100, you can get the 17" PowerBook's standard video card in the 15" PowerBook now as a build-to-order option.

"[font=helvetica, geneva, arial]Both the 15- and 17-inch PowerBook G4s come equipped with the super-fast ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics processor. The 15-inch model comes standard with 64MB of DDR SDRAM and the 17-inch model is equipped with 128MB along with dual link DVI functionality. Video memory may be upgraded to 128MB on the 1.67GHz, 15-inch PowerBook G4 model for those users desiring faster performance with graphics intensive applications, particularly those used in content creation. When choosing the 128MB graphics memory option, dual link DVI functionality will also be installed onto your 1.67GHz PowerBook, allowing you to connect directly to the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Display as well as the 20-inch Cinema or the 23-inch Cinema HD Displays.[/font]" :)

17. Rev. Johnny Vegas

The graphics memory would be nice, but I think for what I'm going to be using this computer for I'll be fine with 64MB.

18. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Why?

19. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

I'm going just off the top of my head, but I believe that another speed issue between powerbooks and ibooks that you might not be immediately considering are differences between system bus speed (i think it's like 167 vs 133), hard drive speeds (like 4200 vs 5400), and so on. all of these little things can add up

20. Rev. Johnny Vegas

I haven't found fully detailed specs on the computers on Apple's site yet, and its info like that which is why I posted here. :big grin:

21. Nick X

Nick X Guest

Memory speed -- 266Mhz vs. 333Mhz...The Powerbook also has a larger L2 cache.

22. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

go to apple.com/powerbook and apple.com/ibook and on both, click the tech specs link and scroll to the bottom

23. Battousai

Battousai New Member

Well a thing to consider is that Apple's Processors use RISK, and PC processors use CISC. Different clock speeds.

Lets say it takes 10 cycles for a PC Proc to do its job, when it takes an Apple 2. This is what alot of people dont know, or cant understand. So it has plenty of power.

All ya need more of is ram, and maybe looking into HD space. Powerbooks can pump out more...but ibooks are nice.

24. Rev. Johnny Vegas

I'm well aware of the differences between different types of processing techniques, such as RISC, CISC, VLIW, etc. I'm not trying to compare the clock speeds of the G4/G5 to P4/AthlonXP, etc., but rather if say a 1.2Ghz G4 would not be a good choice (i.e. if someone asked me what PC to buy, one with a Celeron and one with a P4, I'm gonna tell them to stay the FUCK away from the Celery). :big grin:

25. maczter