Who in here drives an LS1 powered C5 or F-body?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Prime Rib, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Prime Rib

Prime Rib Guest

:wavey:

Just letting everyone know (that doesn't know already)...Check out www.ls1tech.com for a BOAT LOAD of technical information relating to all LS1 powered vehicles.

2. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

I do... Got a post asking for SFC advice on LS1tech.com right now... so far no really good advice though :dunno:

Here's my F-Body:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MYSLOWLS1Z

MYSLOWLS1Z New Member

SFCs? What's the question? My car underwent a number of suspension mods on Wednesday, and the SFCs were on the list. If I ever bought another F-body, SFCs would be my first mod.

4. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Woohoo! Maybe get an answer this time :)

SFC's are going on... But I haven't decided on Double Diamond type (like the ones by SLP and Kenny Brown) or go with straight Tubular.

I know the DD's are stiffer, but they are also quite a bit heavier. The tubular's I'm looking at are Spohn's Chrome Moly... Only 13 lbs for the set, and 50% stronger than the regular mild steel ones. They also tuck in tight, and don't lower the ground clearance of the car at all...

So basically, my question is, what are the strength differences between the two, and will the Chrome Moly tubular's narrow the gap?

If the DD's are FAR superior in strength, so much so that the Chrome Moly Tube's are still lightyears behind, I'll go that route and eat the weight and clearance issues. But if not, or the difference is marginal, I'll go the CM tubes for weight savings and better clearance (looking at a lowering sometime soon too, so clearance is an issue).

And thanks in advance... So far nobody has really had any input except to recommend the SLP bolt-ons - Which doesn't really answer the question :)

5. MYSLOWLS1Z

MYSLOWLS1Z New Member

Do some research on header issues with the DDs.

6. My84Z

My84Z New Member

Hello! and yes all long tubes hit dd's you have to cut the front braces off the dd's to make them fit.

7. My84Z

My84Z New Member

and as far as strenght differences the dd's really do not make that much of a difference they are barely bolted on in the middle only by two little screws that break easily.

8. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Thanks! Got more info here than I did on the F-Body boards I posted on :)

I didn't even think about long tube compatability - Good thing I asked ;)

Spohn's it is then, I'll give the shop a call Monday :cool:

9. My84Z

My84Z New Member

Nice Also Get Weld In Ones.

10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

if you need somebody to weld them in, I can do that for you. It's actualy pretty easy, and I recamend that you just go for the tubular SFCs, you don't really need the double diamonds, and there is also a X brace that is LT compatable that makes the tubular SFCs just as strong as double diamonds.
    you ever go to any of the f-body hideout events here in DC? There pretty cool guys, not as uptight as some of the other f-body chapters here.

11. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Thanks for the offer :) Ordering them through F-Body Central here in MD
    ( http://www.fbodycentral.com/phpws/ ) You have probably heard of 'em?
    I'll probably just have them install the SFC's at the same time as my gears (4.10's on order).

I've heard of the F-Body Hideout guys, seen their off the wall, cool as hell videos too :) Haven't gotten down there yet, hoping to get some folks together for the R5 road rally next year - Prior commitments prevented me from doing this years run.

12. Bharnz

Bharnz New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sfc really makes a difference:big grin:
    [​IMG]

13. 99OnyxZ28

99OnyxZ28 Guest

14. -X-

-X- New Member

15. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

I have a 2002 Z28. I have Hooker longtube headers and BMR weld in tubular SFC's. They were my very first mod. I went with the tubulars because I want to lower my car some day and the boxed hang too low for that. I thought about the double diamond ones, but they cause more problems than they are worth.

16. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Mods in sig

17. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Oops, that sig is old. I have all that stuff plus the Hookers I mentioned and a Comp cam (224/.581/114LSA). It's fun.

18. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Got a set of Spohn Chrome Moly tubular's ordered :)

Hopefully everything gets in and installed before the weather breaks so I can get a chance to try 'em out!

19. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

SFC's will make the car go longer without developing rattles and help when driving very aggressively, but don't expect to be able to actually feel much of a difference. I sure couldn't when I had mine installed. I did SFC's and a strut tower brace at the same time.

20. kdsvs

kdsvs Guest

02 Trans Am WS6

TSP Airlid
    Corsa Exhaust
    SLP Subframe Connectors (bolt-on)
    :bigthumb:

21. n2ojunkie

n2ojunkie Guest

I have a 01 ws6 and I did alot of searchs on this subject before I bought mine. I got the KBDD ones and have never heard of any problems with them hitting. I asked this question and got this same answer from everybody that has put them one, "no problem with fittment of headers or exaust". I have the spohn TA also and dont have a problem with that fitting eather with them. They both use the same mounting holes where the trans tunnel crossbrase is, The spohn instructions say to install the spohn bracket then the KBDD after that but I dotn see how it could be done that way. I have the KBDD up against the floor and then the cross brace. I can deffenetly feel the difference in the car wit them on. Oh ya I had to go with the spohn ta over the BMR because I had no place to weld the BMR brace, but if I sell the car I can put it back to stock if I want to.

22. jrp

jrp Guest

me :big grin:

same s/n on ls1tech and ls1.com has here.

my car:

98 z28 black M6

Mods:

TR 230/224 .575/.563 111 lsa / LS6 Intake / Jet Hot LT's,Custom AAP Y w/ carsound cats, Magnaflows / SLP Lid / SLP CAI / SLP Smooth Bellows / Rollmaster 2x Timing chain / TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump / ASP UD Pulley / Pro 5.0 w/LSS / BMB STB / edit/efi / NGK TR55's / !EGR/!AIR/!CAGS
    [​IMG]

23. SpeedSin

SpeedSin Guest

02 WS6
    -Boyd Coddington's 18x9 & 18x10 Fury (on order)
    -SLP long tubes (awaiting install)
    -Custom Y pipe w/ hi flow cats (awaiting install)
    -MTI induction lid
    -Borla Cat back
    -SLP Strut tower brace
    -SLP SFCs
    -Prothane bushing kit

24. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Mojo, lemme know when you "get a chance to try them out" I wanna go along for the ride.

25. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Will do... FedEx delivered the gears (4.11) last week, and *hopefully* the SFC's will come in this week. Then all I'll have to do is make an appt and get everything installed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the snow/ics stays away so I can get a joyride or two...

And welcome back man, where ya been?