A&P who here is a good photojournalist?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I'm taking a photojournalism class, and i'm fucking miserable. I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of shooting things without a purpose, that could or would have meaning later...

For example, the instructor says:
    I'm toast. my mind goes blank. How the FUCK do you shoot something awesome, but for no apparent reason?

Jesus, I hate this class. I really want to get better at the 'photojournalistic' style of photography, but I can't figure out how this bullshit is helping.

2. Bloke

Bloke Banned

well take pics of some place before it gets torn down for redevelopment.
    take pics of some old fart before they die
    take pics of a road before its repaved

all these could have some minor meaning.

3. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

take a picture of the local 7-11

then rob it (don't get caught, it kinda ruins it) the following day.

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

God, I hated that assignment when I worked for the paper. These are what's normally called "Stand Alone Photos" and are used to fill space when a writer bricks, a story is cut or there simply is not enough gray. Most of the time the editor just sends you out on the town and says, "Find me something interesting that someone in the city is doing." Normally, I would just take one body and one lens and basically go walk around.

Best thing to do is find people doing something that is related to the day i.e., student lying out on the lawn of a campus, reading. Maybe kids playing in the hydrant. Some more...

Business-type person running for a cab or taking lunch in the park
    Grandpa and grandson out fishing
    Kids diving off a dock at some random lake
    Ice Cream Parlor atmosphere
    Baseball game
    Elementary school class trip (kids playing with some scientific instrument)
    etc
    etc

They are best if you can capture the whole scene and tell a quick story of the day with an image and 2-3 sentences.

I know this if for a class so you probably don't need cutlines, but usually these photos have an extended (2-3 sentence) cutline.

Hope this helps, man. Remember: the closer you get the better your shots will convey an action.

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

You have to look at it two ways. Photojournalism encompasses real time news photos, which go stale as time goes on. Not many will want to reuse photos of Obama's inauguaral speech. News photos are generally of something large in magnitude or has a tragic outcome. The event is what dictates the photographer (ie plane crash, bomb explosion, etc).

Feature photos tend to be geared towards the average citizen since the photo doesn't pertain to tragedy or drama. Photos of kids & animals are usually good choices.

An idea that pops in my head is a hot July summer day, 95+ degrees heat. A news photograph might be of an elderly person being carted away in an ambulance due to a heat stroke. A feature photo could be of children splashing in a stream of water from a fire hydrant or a bird taking a dip in a bird bath to cool off.

Think of feature photos of news fillers on a slow day.

6. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

:ugh: It's not a stock photography class. That stuff sounds utterly horrid.

7. Jonny Chimpo

When you think of great PJ's what do you think of?

More than likely, you think photographers that could tell a story in one or two images without needing a ton of copy. There are small micro stories happening all around you every day. The trick is to capture not just something interesting, but something that is at least somewhat unique to your city/environment.

To start, you could try looking for something that is tangent to a recent main story. For example, if I were shooting in NYC right now, I might go to the helicopter tour operators and see how the collision over the Hudson is affecting their business right now. Or, check with major sports teams and businesses to see if they are sponsoring any sort of charity event that wouldn't otherwise get coverage. Then there's the possible benefit of the cash for clunkers sale on a local car dealer when the dealer next door has gone out of business. (honestly, that should be an easy one)

Those are just some lame, off the cuff suggestions. You might want to take a look at this site for some inspiration: http://www.viiphoto.com/

8. isaac86hatch

Pull your head out of your butthole, Johnny and read the fucking description. The prof wants features which are about as soft as PJ gets. When editors ask for filler, feature shots, and/or stand alones that is the shit they want. We're not all in NYC shooting for A1 NYTimes and filler is NOT the kind of shit that you have all day, a week or months to get; it's shit that can br had very last minute and blast into a empty spot on the page before the press. Not every shot needs to be some poor fuck with a heroin addiction in some slum flat in a NYC or some epic story about financial woes from the economy. You're right, though. The items I suggested are boring and cliché, but they get the point across and was not meant to be the end all be all of lists.

9. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

take hip shots

10. Jonny Chimpo

Awwwwww....cry more? :rofl:

11. isaac86hatch

Ahh. I forgot how you easily you give up when someone proves you wrong. :rofl:

12. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

dot

I live in Amish country where there is no drama. Pretty much every page in the paper is a filler shot :rofl:

Here's whats on the cover page of my local Sunday News:
    Police Coverage: Who, and at what cost?
    For the Love of the Amish: Japanese can't get enough of the Plain-sect culture
    Sizing up the Nominee (article on surgeon general Dr. Regina Benjamin)
    In the Wake of Foreclosed Properties

borrrinngggg

13. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

When I was a newspaper shooter years ago for a small town rag, my job was to make sure we always had a good front page shot. Most days a news shot would suffice but on the slow days I had to go find a shot.

One day, while walking out my door to go work in the morning, I realized that I didn't have a shot for that days front page. I saw a mushroom growing out of the stump of a tree in my yard so I said "fuck it, that's a cool looking mushroom" and took a pic.

I processed my film and printed up the pic and gave it to the editor. He was all "wtf is this shit??!!". I told him that I had a dry day and that's all I had to offer. So he proceeds to write up some really cleaver copy that basically rips me a new one for being a lazy PJ and prints the damn thing. It ran front page, in three columns.

It took me weeks before I heard the end of that. People all over town were giving me shit for days.

14. isaac86hatch

And it's soo true. Anyone who's ever lived in a small town knows filler like this.