Who here does olympic lifts (C&J/Snatch)?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Godspeed, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

To those of you who do train in those lifts, do you go to a regular gym or do you have a gym that is geared more towards olympic weightlifting?

2. strykers

strykers Antimember

kinda hard to do main lifts in regular gyms, you need platforms for space and to be able to throw your plates down. you also cant use regular plates.

if you did oly lifts in a regular gym, you'll probably get kicked out.

you can do assistance lifts anywhere

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  3. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

thats what i was thinking :hs: i've been lifting for a few years and have been doing deadlifts/squats the entire time but i want to start doing olympic lifts. i lift at home so i need to find a gym if i want to do that. i thought about investing in the equipment but even if i had the cash to throw around, i don't have the space.

are you into olympic weightlifting?

4. strykers

strykers Antimember

i tried olympic lifting for 3/4 of a school year at my university. i haven't decided yet if i want to do it again. i dont think im mentally fit for it.

even if you had space, you shouldn't get into oly lifting by yourself. you need someone to teach you the form or you could easily injure yourself really really really badly.

you should look up to see if there are any clubs around you. start off with some front squats, overhead squats, pulls. they will help your main lifts if you ever get into it.

if you really really really want to learn the lifts by yourself, practice with a bar and bar only and watch a bunch of videos and read tutorials, forums, books. it will be weird just using a bar cause its really light but its better than nothing

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  5. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

having a gym that has 4 platforms with rubber oly plates ftw

6. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

:werd: i've been practicing technique with just a bar and its quite difficult. I have issues with my balance and getting set up for the jerk portion of the C&J is causing me problems. i think i lack flexibility for it right now cause its uncomfortable with just a bar and it kinda hurts my wrists. i want to go to a gym and see a certified coach but i wasn't sure if they'd see me unless i was competing :dunno:

i checked the usa weightlifting website and found there are only a small handful of gyms for oly lifting in my area but im going to check them out before i start seriously training.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  7. strykers

strykers Antimember

ya using only bar sucks because you don't really need to use technique since its so light. hmm jerk should be taught by someone. stretch!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  8. khari

khari Guest

I've competed for some time. We have a pretty good gym with lots of bumper plates and 10 or so $1000+ Eleiko bars. I can't in good conscience suggest anyone try the competition lifts without the help of someone who knows what they're doing.

I can't see why a coach wouldn't help you if you don't compete. My coach works with athletes from different sports all the time.

9. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

:cool:

i dont know, i guess i thought that coaches would only spend their time on people who were going to be a part of their team or whatever and compete under their name. :dunno:

what area are you from?

10. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

i use regular plates without a platform. but i suck at cleaning and snatching

11. khari

khari Guest

I can't speak for others, but my coach will work with anyone who wants help for a session or two for free, after which you have to pay our club fee (only $10 a month).

I'm from Manitoba (Canada).

12. Godspeed

Godspeed New Member

That's good to hear. Hopefully i can find a gym like that in my area.

13. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Yeah I think everyone can benefit from power/hang cleans and power/hang/DB snatches, but the full competition lifts are not to be fucked around with unless properly learned.

14. Searcher

Searcher New Member

I have them in my routine.....They are extremely demanding......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.