MMA who here actually LIKES Machida's fighting style?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by hsugh knight, Jul 5, 2008.

1. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

2. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

I like his style because it works... its not always exciting unfortunately. I wanna see some hardcore ground guys thrown at him.

3. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

i just love how devious it is. almost like watching a matador.

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

I'm not a fan.

He's "elusive" by controlling range and when he sidesteps he does it to gain distance, not angles. Sure its been effective so far, but it makes for boring fights. The worst part of it is that he clearly has the skills to mix it up and make an exciting fight but instead he tries to score points.

5. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Machida is without a doubt one of my favorite fighters in all of MMA. I might be biased because i took Karate for a long time but I really enjoy his style.

I just realized a good analogy for Machidas fighting style. It's like the spartans from 300; theyre whole strategy with the shields and shit. It was really fucken intelligent. You can look at that and say, "all they're doing is holding their shields up and defending, and then throwing out their spears every few seconds." But its just a smart way of fighting.

lol i've been drinking a little but i dont think that analogy is that ridiculous. I think, "Give them nothing, but take from them everything" is a good way to describe Machidas style.

Anytime his opponent tries to mount an attack of their own he defends/avoids it; he doesn't let them land anything on him. Meanwhile he's picking them apart with kicks/punches. He likes to frustrate his opponent, and the second they do get frustrated and lose their focus he goes all out. He never gives his opponents a second to stop and think, he's either attacking aggressively or defending/avoiding.

His fighting style is brilliant, and as a fighter he's ridiculously talented. He's got excellent BJJ, a very good and very dynamic striking game, and great judo style sweeps and takedowns; not to mention his sick speed, reflexes, and timing. I think he'll definitely be champion someday.

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

I think its awesome. Hit with out getting hit thats what its all about and when he does hit it freaking rocks. Like when he droped that one bomb on sudokusuidhsjss (how ever the hell you spell it.) Machidas awesome. I want to see him fight rampage and piss off a lot of people lol.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

heard one of my coaches talking the other day.

"Fuck the Fans! Fans arent gonna be able to help you when you're getting your ass whooped, fans dont have to worry about getting their ass whooped, and if they are real fans, they's shut the fuck up."

I agree.

8. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

khaaz and check pretty much nailed it.

that's why I like machida

and watching him on the ufc special a while back made karate look cool again. for a while mma shit on those types of martial arts, but machida makes it work, and work well at that.

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Its effective. Id like to see his punches thrown and landed stats

10. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

thats the best shit Ive ever heard. The fans will abandon you after one loss. I remember all of the chuck sack riders that used to be around and the moment he lost to rampage those same guys said yeah hes to old and talked bad about chuck and how he was a has been with a million holes in his game. Fuck the fans. (except the japanese they are cool)

11. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I admire his style and how he fights really smart, but its sometimes very boring to watch.

12. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

He wins, and that makes me like his style.

Sometimes, his fights are boring, but, that's life (and MMA).

13. I love watching him fight and I don't think it's boring at all. He's laid serious beatings on his last few opponents.

14. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

I like the way he fights but i hate how crazy his fans are over him. His counter attack type style matches up well with elite shooters and strikers but im willing to bet that it wont mix well with the Rampages and Wandys of the world.

Imagine Machida vs Liddell? To counter fighters? Oh man

15. Ghost of Swayze

He landed some great shots on Tito but nothing really close to ending the fight early

16. he folded him in half with a knee to the liver. I'd say that was close to stopping him.

17. Ghost of Swayze

Fans pay their salary. Without the fans most of the big fights we see, would never happen.

If your fighter who uses "slow" tactics in order to win the scorecard then you may win fights but you probally wont make as much money and will be tougher to market than a "finisher". Lets face it..people dont like it when the fight goes to the judges. Its better business when a fight is decided inside the cage.

I know Machidas style is very smart, he avoids getting hit while picking and choosing his strikes which takes more time and is more likely to go the distance. If his fights turn to the scorecard then his marktability will be horrible for the UFC.

18. I think a lot of you guys aren't giving him enough credit. I watched his fight vs. tito with a total noob to MMA, and the guy loved Machida's style. He thought it was cool and he was "like a ninja"

19. Ghost of Swayze

I like it too..but i cant wait for Machida to lose to a Rampage or a Wandy. Just to see all of his new fans quickly dissapear and you know they will.

They already have him marked down as the second coming

20. well, Wandy is like the perfect opponent for Machida. He just comes straight at guys throwing looping punches. If Chuck could stay outside and tag him all night, what do you think Machida would do?

Rampage would mangle him though. He's just too powerful, too strong defensively, and bangs too hard in the clinch (where Machida doesn't defend himself, and just tries to duck away)

21. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

lol @ like a ninja. Also lol @ you I go into die in a cross fire and you reighn over that forum lol.

22. that subforum is garbage. 99% of the people in there are complete idiots.

23. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

Uh, looks like im in the minority but I wouldn't pay to watch him as a defending champ. I understand everything said in his defense and sure it's cool, but it bores the fuck out of me.

24. SubOptimal

SubOptimal New Member

Yeah fuck the guys who pay your salary! Honestly, your coach is a fucking moron.