GUN Who has ordered from CMP? v. getting an M1 :D

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WiLL, Sep 26, 2007.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

As long as you meet all their requirements I think they will ship it to your house.

3. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

So are these non-firing weapons? Would you not have to have a C&R because of that?

The three things at the bottom are just there for liability it looks like, but I didn't really read the whole thing.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The CMP is a special government program, its the only way to get operational non-antique firearms shipped to your door with any sort of ffl.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

;)

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Small difference :)

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

really small, hardly noticable even. I just pointed it out as a grammatical issue ;)

8. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Oh thanks for the info. :big grin:

Good news for me.

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

That's kinda cool :cool:

10. no7fish

no7fish New Member

I want one of these so bad... Anyone have an idea as to how long these will last? I'm sure there are plenty of people that have been itching to buy one since they ran out last time but I have no idea what they mean when they say they have a large shipment. How long do they usually have them for before running out?

11. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

I got mine from the CMP. It is a service grade in relatively nice condition. I paid $522 shipped to my door and so far its been worth every penny.

I have no idea how long their stock lasts but you can bet the prices will rise the longer you wait. If you live close at all to Anniston, I think that's where it is, make the drive and handpick yours.

Also, buy a shitload of ammo and learn to reload because it costs me a quarter every time I squeeze the trigger.

12. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Unless I'm missing something a Service Grade S/A M1 is only $595 on their site. When I look online or at shows you can't find a decent one for under $1k. I might jump on this soon...is their any reason I shouldn't? What happens if they send me one that isn't in a condition I like such as beaten up and haggard? I realize none will be perfect and I'm not really looking for that as I want to actually use the gun, but I want something in decent condition for now. It seems too good to be true for that price....is it? These are also originals too the era, not reproductions correct?

13. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

amill94, as you can see the prices have already gone up. :hsd: nearly all the m1's I see at shows are selling for $650 on up to the $1k range. this is because most try to sell it with a story, ex. this was used in Bastogne or some shit like that. plus, people tend to be impulsive at gun shows and the m1 is a sexy piece of history.

anyways, as i understood it, if the rifle arrives and it doesn't match the description they listed on their site, you can return it. this is pretty much based on the ME and TE measurements they list. mine was well within spec. the only issue with mine was the front handguard being a different kind of wood. easily changeable. i really couldn't complain.

these weapons (service grades) are known as 'mixmasters', meaning they might have an SA receiver and a winchester barrel with a IH trigger group. these aren't collector grade aka 'matching' so they don't fetch the crazy prices. they are definitely original though and not some SA inc. reproduction.

if you were just plinking you used to be able to get away with the rack grades, dunno if that still holds true. overall, the service grade is a great bet, and when you order you can include a notecard with a simple request like low number, post war, nice wood, good shooter, whatever. i asked for a good shooter and i got it. they also gave me a springfield which was nice because i listed being born there on the application. :boink:

any more ?'s just fire away

14. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I get my bonus tomorrow and want a M1 garand really bad. The thing is I want something from WWII. Is that what these are? It may not make sense to some but if I am buying a gun with all that history I want to be able to look at it and wonder what role it played in the war, etc. Not just something refurbed for the Korean war. Basically I dont care if the numbers all match I just want to be able to say I have an M1 garand that was used in WWII

15. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

I dunno if they can guarantee that it was actually used but I know mine was made in 1941 and most likely saw some action. who knows? :hsd:

16. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Everytime I look at this title I keep thinking it says someone is buying an M1D.:hs:

17. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Ya after looking around on gunbroker it seemed that just they price in the thousands for an all original. Still interested though.

18. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Whats the appearl for the garands from the CMP if you guys don't mind me asking? I've not looked too much into them but they seem pretty expensive, likely to shoot 2-3 moa, and from what i hear "well used." Is it just the historical value or have I heard maybe a little too much crap from those that aren't into them?

19. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

The M1 apparently needed to be able to shoot 4 MOA or better to be in service so the government wasn't calling these tackdrivers. However, sub 2 MOA M1's after a barrel change are not uncommon.

You've heard right for the most part; they are used but not abused. I wouldn't say they are expensive but I will call them an investment. You will be able to sell it for more than you paid down the road, if you choose to do so.

Otherwise, for me there is definitely a historical factor that plays in. General Patton didn't dub it "the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man" for nothing...

Plus, the ping sound is just badass ;)

20. no7fish

no7fish New Member

They may not be tack drivers but for the time they were produced they are pretty good, they are also just one of the coolest old guns around. There is also the appeal that almost all of our grandfathers that served in WW2 carried one. My personal reason for wanting one is to give it to mine on 11/11 (whichever year I finally get around to getting one!) but I would like to just have one... Probably as much nostalgia thing as anything else to most people but as above, certainly an investment.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

At that point though price wise you should have just bought a new rifle.

I don't know, you think so? It seems like there are alot of them and the guys that really want them are already buying tons of them. To be called an investment it will have needed to average say 10% or more appreciation each year. In 10 years the $600 service grade M1 will need to be selling for $1566, in 20 years $4037. I'm just not sure how much people will ultimately be willing to pay for them.

I do certainly see the piece of history aspect though, I am buying other milsurps so who knows, one day I might grab one.

22. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I think part of the appeal is that some people just want a semi-auto 30'06. Plus, you don't need to worry about it getting dinged up or being exposed to the elements :dunno:

23. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Milsurp only appeals to me when it's in the <$200 category.

:dunno:

24. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

They were less than $200 at one time....

25. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

so were Fords....