SRS Who has gone to see a psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by koolaids, Mar 25, 2007.

1. koolaids

koolaids OH YEAH

Would you say it was a positive or negative experience?
    Did it help you?

For the last 6 months or so, every day I've wished that I was dead.

I just really need to talk to someone about it, someone that can help me figure out what is causing it, and either help me get around it, or make me forget about it.

I'd rather not talk to my mother or sister about it, mainly because they are already worried about me because of an off-the-cuff remark I made in 2005 after I was in a serious car accident.

I don't want to talk to my friends about it because I'd rather not burden them with this.

I've been wanting to make a thread in here for quite some time, but I've had a lot of trouble compounding my thoughts.

So, I think the next step is to go see a Psychiatrist...

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Definatly positive but it's important to find the right shrink.
    OMG YES! It helped in ways that I never expected.
    Yeah see...there are certain things that families just can't help you with. They are just too close and can't effectively seperate emotions from the equation. They also don't work with people that have issues on a regular basis so some of the darker issues can scare the hell out of them. Working with a pro, they've seen it before and are usually able to help where others just get scared.
    Discussing issues with friends can be a bonding experience but may also damage the friendship. I usually only have friends where I can be real and therefore I share a lot of the shit in my life with them. I have no time for friends that just want to be there when times are good. I want...and have found....friends that will be there through good times and bad.

However, I've been helped soo much more by pros, especially with the very deep, very difficult issues in my life, that when I want to deal with these types of issues, I head straight for the shrink.
    Welcome to The Asylum!
    Cool...good luck. And don't be afraid to switch docs if your current one just isn't working out.

3. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

The best thing you can do is talk about your problems to someone, so if that has to be a psychologist, then yes, it will be beneficial. The more you bottle up those thoughts, the worse they are going to get. The key is to find the right psychologist, someone who asks a lot of questions and offers a lot of advice, someone you can connect with. You may have to see a few different ones before you really find someone good. I highly recommend seeing someone with a PhD, cause I've had really, really bad luck with social workers or counselors.

I have been seeing my therapist since October 2005, and while he has helped me a lot, I feel kind of...stuck...because I haven't been taking his advice as much as I should be. It's still great to have someone there to talk to who can listen and offer advice.

4. quickone

quickone New Member

How much is it to go to one?

5. nost

nost New Member

helped me

6. koolaids

koolaids OH YEAH

I can't bring myself to speak to my mom about it...
    She's a doctor, and I really want to ask her about it first

I only get the chance to speak to her alone on Tuesdays, and I've just wasted this tuesday... so I guess I'll have to wait another week

7. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

I was thinking about seeing one as well :hs:

8. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

About seeing a psychiatrist?

9. littlemonster

littlemonster New Member

Due to stressful family circumstances, a lot of people wanted me to see a psychologist a few months back, however, I refused.

I personally find talking to people very hard, so a stranger, no way, for me. It depends on you, and only you, in my opinion. If you want to see one, then try it, if you don't like it after a couple or three sessions, you don't have to go again.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian OT Supporter

I saw a gestalt therapist some years ago, I'm sure if I gave it more time it would have helped. Couldn't afford it in the long run however, had to give it up.

11. koolaids

koolaids OH YEAH

yeah...

12. koolaids

koolaids OH YEAH

I'm kinda like that...
    I don't want to walk in there and have them expect me to just open up and start spilling my life to them...

I'd rather have them ask me questions and me answer them