Who has experience with dynamat/edead/raam?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Original, May 5, 2008.

1. Original

Original OT Supporter

Next week starts my installing and glassing.. doing lots of upgrading so i guess its time for deadener!

How much of a difference did you guys notice? Will this cut down a lot of road noise too or just help with vibration?

I'm planning on starting off with a 60sqft roll so probably all 4 doors, rear deck and any other shit that rattles. All audio is inside the cabin so no worries about the trunk.

Ohhhh the 98 tin can Ford :hs:

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

It'll do wonders in some places, in others it is a waste of time, money, and weight.

Before you go throwing a layre od deadener somewhere, knock your nuckles agianst the pannel. It is sounds hollow or reverberates it is a good place to add several layres. If it sounds empty but doesnt flex much a single layer will do. If it sounds dead dont bother putting deadening on it.

After you throw down some deadener, glue a layre of closed cell foam like the neoprene stuff second skin sells. It will also do wonders for road noise and pads vibration.

It also keeps the car warmer in the winter (though it is rare to go below 50's down there) and cooler in the summer, Especially if you combine it with tinted windows.

As far as what brand, I prefer second skin. RAAMatt works but was more messy than SS. Dynamat is good but over priced. eD's is just rebadged crap.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

thanks for the insight! i'm going with raam because i'm getting a great deal, plus i've heard great things about the newer mat. :hs:

The fronts need it for sure since i'm putting components in and need to seal the door. Plus it feels hallow when i shut it.

I wanna do the back doors because they feel like 2lbs of plastic when they shut. Then I'll just test other spots that flex after the sub goes in.
    --
    How much does the foam actually help? I was gonna pass but it seems every site recommends it.. as you just did. I'm already way deep into my pockets :o

4. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

I noticed improvement in sound just doing single layers the inner and outer door panels so I expect you should see some significant improvement. I also used some foam weatherstripping in the seams around some plastic panels which were buzzing a bit. It's cheap and it's easy to move around and experiment with.

For installing the mat, it helps to get it good and warm so it's more flexible. I left mine on the dash in the sun for about twenty minutes and it was good to go.

5. Original

Original OT Supporter

I also heard if it's a cool night to drive your car around for a while then lay the mat on your hood to warm it up :hsd:

Thanks!

6. GammaRadiation

Quality butyl mats dont need to be warmed up. Being that you live in Miami, I wouldnt dream of using anything but butyl for anything but the floor. Otherwise, you may get a huge mess.

7. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

[email protected] > *

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

According to Rick they don't need to be warmed up at all, unless it's cold out :hs:

Seems like it so far :cool:

9. GammaRadiation

Yep, Butyl is good shit. When I did mine it was in the 50's, I just laid them paper side up on the driveway as I installed them. I havent had a single problem.

10. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Install your subwoofer first and play it with some bass heavy material. That will pretty much road map where sound deadening is needed.

11. GammaRadiation

Deadening is more about preventing outside noise than stopping inside rattles. Inside rattles are fixed with foam.

12. tjamz

tjamz New Member

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Foam works, but deadening material is still used on flimsy plastic panels to add mass....remember, there are really only 2 ways to lower vibrations...make the panel heavier or make it stiffer. Foam makes it stiffer, but mat makes it heavier....and a bit stiffer.

13. GammaRadiation

There is no need to stop pannel vibration if it isnt causing audible noise. Deadener is needed on door skins, roofs, inner door skins (especially around speakers), and floors.

If you are simply looking to stop a vibration, place something between the two objects that are vibrating togather to pad the vibration.

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i used dynamat extreme on my last car. great stuff and it made a difference (firebird formula with flowmaster 80 series) in noise reduction. I could still hear the exhaust, just not as much.

15. tjamz

tjamz New Member

True, usually you can just put something between the panel and the body/door/whatever to stop the vibration...on rare occassions you actually need to deaden the plastic panel itself (large flat panels are worst for this). I should have been more clear.

16. JohnAG

JohnAG OT Supporter

I just put a bunch of edead v1se in my car, made a huge difference for my components getting the door deadened.

Why do you say ed is shit?

17. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

Any panel rattle is wasting energy that could be sound. There is every need to stop panel vibration if you are trying to get the most out of your equipment.

I strongly recommend reading the sound deadener showdown.

18. GammaRadiation

Any material that adds mass to the pannel is going to do a fantastic job of deadening sound.

However, buying massive stock of peal and seal and calling it some sort of advanced, Ben Meline sound deadener is not a good business plan. eD may have some butyl bassed matt (though not all butyl matts are created equal either) now but before it was all asphault and it came off a little too easy.

eDuh is known to take the cheap route to make the quickest buck. Be werry.

19. GammaRadiation

ok...or I could argue that pannel vibration turns what would be unwanted reflections into motion and heat.

No point in deadening interior pannels if they arent making noises. If they are making noises atack it with padding first.

20. tjamz

tjamz New Member

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

21. mojito

mojito New Member

i did my whole cargo area and around each speaker. Not a single rattle not matter how loud you crank it

22. jayvuu

jayvuu New Member

prepare for some sticky hands after using rammat

23. Original

Original OT Supporter

heard it's near impossible to get off once it's stuck to something :o

24. GammaRadiation

:werd:

It's good stuff for the price if you dont mind hands covered in butyl. That orange scented pumice soap that gets greese off...yeah it doesnt hardly have an effect on the butyl. Lots of scrubbing is the only way to get your hands back to normal.