GUN Who has ever needed their CCW?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sportec17, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Sportec17

Sportec17 New Member

It seems like the majority of the people in this forum do carry, so my question is how many of you guys have actually drawn your weapon in public or fired a shot in self-defense? Just looking for some interesting stories.

Also I'm interested in the reason why you chose to get your CCW permit and carry...

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I was just wondering this the other day. How many people with CCWs actually end up legally using them. Do they have these statistics anywhere?

3. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

2.5 million times last year CCW holders used their weapons to stop a crime. Be it either actual firing or just drawing. Thats an estimate from the FBI.

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Whoa Rambo.... I'd prob have either giving him some fucking money (back when I didn't carry) or just ran the fuck away, locked myself in the car. My wallet isn't worth getting stabbed over. But then sounds like you might have has some hand to hand training.

Another thing worth mentioning is that a lot of people who've been in self defense shootings aren't going to want to talk about them in public. It can be a horrible life changing experience and I think most just want to work past them.

I got my CHL, when I made the decision that I was going to be able to defend myself. In case of an attack/mugging like posted above, or any other day to day threat.

5. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

I got mine because I figured my handgun would be more manageable in my truck than the single shot .410 I was carrying before :dunno:

6. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the problem nowadays is that simple robbery turns into assault/murder more often. You could give the guy your wallet, but the chances are greater that the perp will still attack you. Would you bet your life on the chance? I won't and haven't in the past.

btw, anyone see the convenient store clerk that was held up last night on the news that pulled out a pistol and shot the guy?

7. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Needing a pistol is not the issue.

Have you ever needed the spare tire in your trunk? You could remove it and get better gas mileage and have more room for storage. But you don't. Why? Because you can't predict when you will have a flat.

Do you have a smoke alarm in your house? How about a fire extinguisher? If you haven't needed a fire extinguisher you should probably not worry about buying one to keep in your kitchen. Unless you have a small fire and then catching the fire early with your extinguisher could save you the 15 minute response time from the fire department and a whole lot of water damage for whatever stuff you have left as your house burns down.

CPR training? You may never get to save someone's life. But wouldn't it be nice to be able to do something when your grandfather's heart stops at the Christmas party?

Yes, there are two times in the past 13 years of carrying a gun that I was very, VERY glad I had my gun with me. The other 4700 or so days I've carried I was just glad to have it with me.

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Not really. 2.5 million crimes were stopped by people using guns, but not necessarily CCW holders being attacked out on the streets. Plenty of these DGU's happen in the home.