Who has converted carby to EFI?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Lurker111, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Just curious. I am beginning to gather information right now. I'll be building a fuel controller (using someone else's schematics and source code) this winter and maybe even buying all the mechanical components this winter as well.

Seems like it will be a fun project full of headaches waiting to happen. The sourcecode for the fuel controller is very good with fairly accurate equations used for the fuel map generation and I am sticking with the stock ignition circuit.

Of course one thing that will make this easy is that I have only ONE cylinder to provide fuel to...

2. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Don't you have to change a bunch of things like fuel pump/ecu/etc? And doesn't the system need to be pressurized?

Seems more of a hassle than anything... But good luck to you.

3. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Yes you need pressure at the injector. Fuel pump, throttle body, fuel rail, pressure regulator, wiring harness, CHT sensor, IAT sensor, TPS, MAP sensor, and injectors. ECU I will BUILD and program MYSELF.

I get a few more ponies, the ability to tune on the fly over the entire range as needed, and the fuel tuning will adjust to compensate for barometric pressure and altitude changes on its own.

4. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

So you ride up and down mountains alot? :fawk:

Just kidding... Seems like a lot of work. I wouldn't do it unless I was in college or something and I had to do a project for class.

5. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

I am in college, I am studying electronics engineering...and I'm just geeky enough to think it would be a fun project.

6. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

No rain...that thing is far more than I need and still requires me to do all the hard work anyways.

$1000 for that computer...I can build an efi controller for less than $100 which can drive 12 injectors (but it only has two injector drivers which is fine since I only need one driver).

http://www.megasquirt.info/

7. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I know a few people who are using the megasquirt...