Who has a NAS?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Sep 21, 2009.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Just curious to hear what NAS people in the Mac crew have. I could really use one and I'm not sure which ones to check out. Any recommendations?

I think I'm leaning away from a Time Capsule, but I'd still like to hear the pros of one over another brand NAS.

2. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

This for an organization of some sort, or home use?

3. Mr. Kitty Litter

Mr. Kitty Litter OT Supporter

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fuck that. LaCie have the highest failure rate of any drive on the market. Great drives if you want cheap storage and don't care about losing it all in a couple months.

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

It's for home use. I'd to use it for backup purposes and have redundancy. But this would be replacing two MyBooks (1.5 tb of space total). So I could just do RAID 0 for now and use the MyBooks for backup purposes.

I just want something centralized on the network for now. I have an old PC sitting around, but it has IDE. IDE drives are more expensive than SATA drives now. :(

6. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

I recently bought the 1tb Time capsule so thats my back up, and I have an older 320gb plextor connected to my router that my windows machines look to for media to sync ipods etc.

7. Unknown User

Unknown User New Member

I have a 2TB Buffalo LinkStation Pro. Very happy with it.

8. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

does lacie actually make the hard drive that is inside of the enclosure? i've bought a few different brands of external hard drives (fantom, iomega etc) and they had western digital or seagate drives inside the enclosure

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

They don't make the drives but they use their own chipsets on the controllers which are the root of all their issues. Throwing the drive in another enclosure doesn't resolve the issue once the data is lost either.