A&P Who else is getting the 20D?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ittech, Sep 13, 2004.

1. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

Thank you for choosing Adorama.com.
    Your confirmation number is: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

SKU Brand Product Qty Price
    -------------------- ---------------------------------------- --- ----------
    ICA20D Canon EOS-20D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit, 8.2 Megapixels, Interchangeable Lenses - USA 1 1499.95
    ICABGE2 Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip for EOS-20D 1 169.95

----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Subtotal: 1669.90
    Tax: 0.00

Insurance + Shipping:
    General Items - UPS 3 Day 24.45

Grand Total: 1694.35

:bowdown: :bigthumb:

Sold my 10D recently but had to pay $450 more to order this. I hope the low noise ISO is going to be as significant as it sounds because other than that I was pretty happy with the 10D.

2. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

3. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

:bigthumb:

Which lenses do you currently already have or plan on getting?

I'm debating whether to get the kit with the EF-S 17-85 lens or hold off on that and just get the 17-40 L one. :sad2:

4. ittech

The only reason to get the kit IMHO is to have a light and small carry around lens. That said it was hard to not buy it for $100 since I had returned a worthless 50mm compact macro for about $125 and could have gotten that as an alternate I would use but rarely.

And actually one of the only reasons to have the light little carry around lens is to be able to use the built in flash instead of a EX flash. I have to use my EX flash with both my lenses as they are large. But the 20D internal may actually clear them as it pops up higher. :x:

I have the 24-70 2.8L and the 70-200 2.8L and a EF 2x extender.

The 2 L lenses are really something wonderful, almost as good as the best primes, fast/quiet focusing, great contrast, 2.8 at all focal lengths etc...

I have limited space on my motorcycle for camera gear and what I have fits great OTW i'd have a bunch more.

On the 20D, the ONLY thing I have seen that I can think of as worse as the 10D is the shutter noise. I liked how relatively quiet the 10D was, could get great people shots with the 70-200 without much sound. It's amazing how people can miss a huge white lens but hear a loud camera clicking.

Another small thing is supposedly the battery grip doesn't mount up as flush as the 10D unit? I can't beleive it would feel tacked on after the great grips on the d30 d60 and 10d so I hope it does well.

5. jTranz

I saw the pictures of the grip with the 20D and noticed the notch it has on that lefthand side. You're right that it doesn't look as flushed as previous grips and their respective models.

Drop an extensive review when your package arrives! :bigthumb:

6. ittech

:hs: I liked the 10D+ battery back looking like a single body... Made it look like I had a junior 1D...

Will do... I can compare to a friend's rebel, my previous 10D, a D70 and some other digicams that friends have that I've used.

I listened to the MP3 of the 5fps and while loud, it's going to be real fun to hold that in my hands and fire off 20 shots or so.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

you'll get 20 jpeg's, but only 6 RAW. That's Canon's worst move yet.

I'm keeping by 10D will I graduate, then getting whatever the replacment is for the 1D Mark 2 for speed and probably 1Ds as well. Anything to stay away from using 4x5's

8. sony

sony Active Member

NAAAAAH homie because the camera is dumping the files as its writing, not filling up the buffer then writing. The write speeds are significantly faster than the 10D and Rebel (look at robgolbriath tests). The ISO performance is better, slightly larger images (8mp vs 6), better focusing, ETTL II (if you have lenses to fully take advantage of it).

The main selling points for me is: 1) faster writing speed, 2) ISO performance, 3) better AF accuracy

:wiggle:

9. sony

sony Active Member

I'm going to wait a bit to get mine, mainly because theres no real rush for me. From what I've seen in samples the ISO performance appears to be about 2x as good (ISO 800 on the 20D = ISO 400 on the 10D), but some ISO 1600 shots I've seen are NUTS. I'm probably going to pick mine up in December/Jan primarily because I shoot low-light a lot. The 20Ds that were shipped (and not picked up) should start shipping next week. Stores should start getting them on the 14th/15th of this month.

They're receiving the kit, which you ordered. :bigthumb:

My sucker friends have to wait for Canon to start shipping he body-only boxes. :rofl: :rofl:

10. sony

sony Active Member

The 17-85mm has a really good range. Add a 70-200mm f/2.8L (is or non-is) and you've effectively covered the 17-200mm range with just two lenses. The main issue I have with the 17-85 is the fact that the 18-55 isn't so sharp on the edges, which leads me to believe that its EF-S homie isn't so sharp on the edges either... :sad2:

I'd wait for more reviews of the 17-85 before you make your mind. ;)

11. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

I've settled down on Body, + 24-70L2.8 + 70-200 2.8 + 1gb memory + tripod. :hs:

Should be here in 2-3 weeks.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

you'll probablly want a portable hard drive or cd burner for trips or extended shooting

13. mojito

mojito New Member

it is better in those areas, but the write speed won't make up for the 3 shots you're losing

14. jTranz

I definitely will. I'm just so excited about picking up the 20D and testing this baby out I waiting for onecall.com to restock. :hs:

15. mojito

mojito New Member

calumet has em, my local store has them but will only let regulars play with them. Good thing I'm a regular :)

16. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

i got a 10d that i don't even know how to use yet... don't think a 20d gunna do me any difference :o

17. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

[​IMG]

oh god im getting this

18. sony

sony Active Member

A lot of stores got 'em today. :ugh: More will get them tomorrow. BH started taking orders this afternoon for the body only. Most other stores only have the kit. :greddy:

19. jTranz

I'm in on the BH order. :bigthumb:

I just need to allocate some resources for funds now. :mamoru: