GUN Who does this?!? v.friendcriticizesmefordirtygun :ugh2:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by thedude11, Feb 23, 2008.

1. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

He's not so much my "friend", just a fellow shooter at my school. He's in charge of our trap and skeet club ("Bob") and budgeted some money for "firearms training" which is going to be a CCW class that is good in Michigan. I have my Texas CHL so I don't need to take the class but another friend of mine ("Jim") is taking it so I'm letting him borrow my USPc for the shooting portion of the class.

Bob told me that Jim isn't allowed to be in possession of a handgun that's not registered to him in Michigan. Bob is allowed to because he has a CCW already.

I gave Bob my USPc to give to Jim for the class. I told him it was dirty but to not worry about cleaning it. I just got this email from him...

"I cleaned your USP tonight. I’ve seem [seen] subguns cleaner! How many rounds have you run through that thing since you last cleaned it?

At any rate, I will clean and lube the USP before I return it tomorrow. Keep your carry gun clean, your life depends on it."

:ugh2:
    My USPc has the stainless finish so dirt and crap shows up easier than it does with the blued slide. I have not had a single failure of any kind through my gun since I've had it and I have several thousand rounds through it. I only have around ~400-500 rounds through it since its last cleaning.

Sorry for the long post... I just thought it was a bit rude of him to clean my gun when I told him to not and then he comments on how dirty it is when, in fact, it's just fine.

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

If it were my gun, and he cleaned it after I told him not to.....I'd murder him. Don't fuck with my guns.

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Moral of the story: don't let anyone borrow your guns.

4. CString

CString New Member

i would take the free cleaning w/o his shitty attitude. if he was that worried about it then he should have just cleaned it and not acted like such an asshole. your dirty gun is not his problem.

5. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

:werd:

It doesn't really bother me that much that he cleaned it, but commenting on it..? Fuck you dude.

I'm not letting him borrow it, I'm letting my actual friend use it for the shooting portion. He knows the state laws up and down so he was telling me that my friend could get a misdemeanor of some sort for having my gun... in the extremely rare case that he were to get caught with it.

6. GTP

GTP New Member

I clean mine after every range trip. Then again, I shoot corrosive so it behooves me to do that.

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Meh... I used to. I then realized that quality guns (Glock, HK, M&P, XD, etc...) don't need to be cleaned after every range trip.

8. GTP

GTP New Member

btw, messing around with someone else's gun is major taboo.

9. GTP

GTP New Member

a 200$ tokarev made in 1944 shooting 50+yr old milsurp ammo and no FTF/FTE in 500 rnds so far = quality :bowdown:

10. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I think people over stress cleaning. I have seen full auto guns go through thousands of rounds at a MG shoot, with just a little extra lube. If you had $20,000 guns & cleaning was important, don't you think they would clean them every 500 rounds?

I run a bore snake through them every now & then & about once a year give them a detailed.

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

id be down his throat for doing something with your gun you specifically told him not to do. sounds like hes one of those "better than you are" types

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Bob sounds dumb for several reasons. Michigan's laws in no way apply to Jim unless Jim is in Michigan at the time.

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

getting pozzed behooves you too

14. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

maybe i wont be so anal about cleaning my 92fs every time i fire 150 rounds D:

15. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

If you loaned a gun for someone to use in a class and it was dirty, then any instructor or responsible shooter would clean it. Sure it may work just fine dirty but you want that 1 in 1000 time something goes wrong to be in the hands of someone you loaned it to?
    Next time though, don't loan any of your guns out. If something stupid happens and your gun is involved, then you are involved.

16. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Gotta agree here. Anyone can shoot anything I've got, as long as I'm with them. Oh, and with ammo prices the way they are, they'd better bring their own damn ammo. :squint:

17. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I'm not loaning a gun to anyone ever.

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

19. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

+1 That's my rule too.

20. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I agree, I always return things in better condition then when I borrowed them if possible.

I also try to keep my carry guns clean. Sure they may function fine dirty, but then it could lead to a malfunction I wouldn't have had if it was clean. Cheap insurance IMO.

21. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I would much rather trust my life to a dirty gun that I've put several thousand rounds through than a clean gun that someone else has taken apart and been messing around with.

22. w1ndsurfer

w1ndsurfer Member

:mad::bash:I would be extraordinarily pissed at "Bob." The douchebag had no right to screw with your gun in the first place and is asking to get his ass beat. Of course, as previously mentioned, that's what you get for loaning your gun out. Specifically to someone you didn't/don't trust.

23. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Good rule of thumb. Say you borrow a guy's chainsaw, you return it clean, with full gas/oil and a new chain.
    Just the same, you're not borrowing my gat.

24. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

agreed. In loaning your weapon, you have to accept that it could come back in any condition, including cleaned...

25. smartypants

smartypants New Member

...or used in a crime:noes: