SRS who do i talk to about depression?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Climbing Cracker, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

seriously. i don't even know where to start for something like this...

I've thought for a long time that clinical depression was bullshit. However, I'm beginning to think there's something to it. Or, what I'm going through is completely normal. Granted, there have been a lot of changes in my life over the past year: new high-stress job, ended a 6-year relationship, having a 2nd job. But, wow...I can't even concentrate most days. I feel worthless as fuck, I'm drinking MUCH more than I used to, I'm withdrawn beyond belief and feel socially awkward. My ex used to complain that I am "too guarded" and "stoic" so she never knew what I was thinking/feeling. I'm successful at both of my jobs, and financially well, but...there's just something missing. Granted, I dislike my main source of income (supervision at a manufacturing facility), but I'm too scared to take the 2nd job and make something big of it. I just read through GlassUser's thread and thought my Myers-Briggs type might help. I took the entire 90-minute test as a part of my new job: ISTJ I'm almost 50/50 on I or E, but the results on Sensing, Thinking, Judging were FAAAAR to the left.

That's just a little bit, I really don't feel like going into it. But, I'd be appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction. :wavey:

2. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

I recently went through a high stress period; it is not really over yet; but what has helped me is just trying to get through one day at a time and not thinking about what I lost, but what I want for myself.

3. tenxia

tenxia OT Supporter

Hey CC. I think being an ISTJ has something to do with how you're reacting to your change in situations. ISTJs don't like instability. You also stay with the job you don't like because you enjoy the income (even with the stress killing you). What do you think?

I really don't know how to advise you. Keep us updated on your thoughts/feelings so far. I personally would like to hear them.

4. Climbing Cracker

i think you're SPOT-fucking on about why i stay in my job. It's VERY stable, however I derive 0% enjoyment out of it. Wow, that was insightful...thanks!

I want a lot for myself, so I find I'm making lists and more lists to narrow down what I need to be seeking. Things are beginning to look up with my 2nd job (video production), and I'm aiming to take full advantage. However, this means moving back with the folks since I need to invest more money.

I don't sleep much, despite being athletic. I'm lethargic and extremely restless. I've been drinking..or taking melatonin to calm myself down before sleeping. I prefer the melatonin, which i cycle off of to not create an addiction. Same with alcohol, which I'm monitoring. I HATE waking up with hangovers or going to sleep at 3am. So, that limits my alcohol consumption considerably. I've had feelings of uselessness for years, same with the emptiness. The sadness comes in waves and usually shuts me down for 1-4 days, sometimes a week. I alienate my friends, don't return calls, etc. But, yeah, I am overwhelmed. I have a million things going on and I need to drop some, but I feel like I can't. Do I go talk to a general physician for this? Is that the starting point?

5. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

Have you tried to prioritize the things you want or want to do?

BTW, video productions should give you lots of job satisfaction. I've been doing some on my own for fun and I love it!:bigthumb:

6. Climbing Cracker

Yeah, I have. Seems like on a daily basis sometimes. My main goal is to build the video business up enough so I can quit the other job. It's a ton of work, early mornings and late night. But you're right, it is satisfying seeing my work online or a finished DVD handed to a happy client. What sort of video production are you into?

7. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

Just for family and friends! Nothing that I get paid for...yet!:)

8. Climbing Cracker

right on. i've been doing it professionally for about 2 years. that means a lot of stuff for credit or swag, but now it's paying. :bigthumb:

9. Nite_Lilly

Nite_Lilly Member

Do you see a way to make this your primary job?

You said previously: "but...there's just something missing. " Maybe the job satisfaction you get from video production would help your depression go away and get you re-focused on feeling good about your life. It may be tough financially at first, but in the long run...!? As they say, if you pursue your passion, the money will follow. But I really do understand about your money fears. I'm the same way; I need to know I'll have a roof over my head tomorrow. The trick is finding the right risk/ reward balance, isn't it?

Moving back with your folks might help you get settled emotionally after your break up. Do you get along with them?

10. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

dont take this advice, its horrible.

while talking about your problems wont make them go away, talking about them can help you organize your thoughts and think of great solutions to make things better. a therapist can guide you through this process

there will still be things in life you cant make better, and a therapist can help you find ways to accept these things since you cant change them.

i go to therapy, and think its a priceless experience. it is very different than talking to friends or family members about my problems and i think that every once in a while, everyone could use a good shrink visit. insurance make it completely affordable, though, i would still pay full price if my insurance didnt cover a dime.

if your leg was broken, you would go to the doctor to get it fixed, right? your mind is a little broken, so go to the doctor to get it fixed.

11. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

have you ever been? cause your information is incorrect

i didnt tell him to go to a psychiatrist, i suggested going to a psychologist, which are not the same thing

everything that is bothering him about his life could be easily helped with a session or 2 with a therapist. he doesnt have to be clinically depressed to go see one, and a good therapist wont tell him he IS clinically depressed when he is not.

seriously, you have no idea what you are talking about here