A&P Who determines which photos are printed?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by NOR*CAL, Sep 11, 2008.

1. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I'm still brand new into doing photo shoots, and even more of a noob when it comes down to printing.

I gave my friends who I did an engagement shoot with, a contact sheet, and allowed them to decide on which photos to have printed. After getting the results back, I thought to myself why the heck did they choose the ugly ones. I know it' subjective, but damn, it's almost tasteless (to me anyhow).

Another friend of mine, did something similar with his maternity photo shoot. He let his friend choose the pics, and she chose the ugly ones as well(blown out pics, somewhat out of focus and etc).

How should this work?

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I let them choose, however I don't show them everything I took. I only show them the shots that I am okay with the whole world seeing. Anything less gets the trashcan, period.

3. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i would never show them teh whole lot, i would show them what i would print.

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

:werd:

You show them the good ones and let them pick from there...

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

and if they picked what they did and you think they chose the ugly ones, they are obviously the best ones to them and the ones left (your "good" images) are ones they think look less good. so had you given them what you think they want, you are most likely not getting any more bidness since they may not like the photos as much as you did. Besides people like to choose, it lets us think we are in control of something. It also allows for money to be made on more reprints.

People love to buy shit photos anyway. everyone seems to think that people only want natural images with pretty colors. give em some shit B&W with rediulous selective color (like a flower) and that shit will always sell better

6. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Definitely something to keep in mind. Thank for your guys' input.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

I don't care soo much about prints, but when it comes to albums, DO NOT let them choose. it'll be mostly formals, and have to style or theme to it. I design it, I let them make revisions.

8. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

For the engagement I shot 9/1/08

I did the editing, then ported it to my laptop and did touch ups (better color/screen), out of a couple hundred photos, I came up with 120 that I personally liked.

Just last night I showed the couple, and we came up with an agreed between them and their family... the only ones that they wanted cut were the ones that looked too forced.

The ones that I cut were in betweens... Go to capture a moment and something is just wrong in between the better shots.

they are the ones I need to make happy, I just always remember that :)

and as above with the others, I definitely do NOT show them everything, just like a portrait studio like olan mills, I show them the good ones,