Who can tell me why my printer wont install?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tom93R1, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I just picked up a Canon Pixma MP500 multifunction printer/scanner over the weekend to install on my P4 Windows XP Pro (SP2 and fully updated) machine. Asus P4P800 board, no other hardware that could possibly matter for this.
    Per instructions I install the software then at the prompt plug in the printer to USB.

Up pops the install wizard for new device detected and it even calls it MP500. Problem is Canon software doesnt detect that I connected the printer and eventually times out with a message that it didnt detect a printer.

So far I have done many power cycles of both the printer and PC, tried manually loading drivers, reloaded USB drivers for motherboard, new USB cable, and still nothing. Also I have killed all startup process and non Windows services through msconfig. I connected the printer to my roommates computer and it installed perfectly.

My next thought is to just re-install windows over top of the current install, I would really prefer not to have to completely start over with a fresh install if I dont have to. Any ideas whats wrong with my computer?

2. Achance007

Achance007 Active Member

maybe download new drivers from cannon's website. For some reason I had an HP all in one that didnt include scanner drivers on the CD so I had to get them from their site.

3. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Oh yeah, forgot to include that i already tried the latest Canon drivers. Good tip though, thanks.

4. Schproda

Schproda New Member

See if there is a FAQ or uninstall utility that you can run before restarting and trying again. Email their support or try the install again but don't plug in the USB cable until it tells you to.

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Do you have another computer you can try the install on, just to make sure it isn't the printer that is malfunctioning?

6. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

I did call Canon tech support, we basically just determined there is a problem with my computer. The printer installed no problem on my roommates computer. There are no un-install utilities, but I did un-install from the add/remove programs control panel with no success.

Maybe driver conflict somehow?

7. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

So last night I ran the Windows XP repair utility and basically re-installed windows. The printer works now but Windows Update doesnt... I hate windows.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's the copy protection keeping you from downloading optional updates. Automatic Updates will still download critical security patches; if Microsoft didn't at least give security patches to everybody, they'd be making things worse for the people who have legitimately paid for Windows.

9. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Why would copy protection stop me from downloading optional updates? My Windows disk is legit. Hmm, maybe I need to re-activate windows now that I refreshed my install.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That could be a problem. I don't think retail versions let you activate more than once; you'll probably have to sit on hold forever so you can talk a MS tech into renewing your activation.