Who can help me make this look more professional looking? *website*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by onedownfiveup, Oct 22, 2006.

1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

www.smithersstore.com

I've been working on the actual store for a while now and am needing to make the middle area where my two sale banners are to look flashy and what not with products I sell. That area can be edited with just HTML. What do you think I need? I'm having trouble coming up with "professional" type graphics.

2. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

First thing I'd do is get away from the white background and do something darker and easier on the eyes.

3. shiba

shiba Active Member

maybe a blurb about the company?:dunno:

4. onedownfiveup

The problem about that is when the products are listed they have a white background and I think that looks like trash. That just may be me.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

1. Put the motorcycle pic and the black "breadcrumb" strip just below it into a separate frame above everything else, and make it load onto every page;

2. Change the background color of the new top frame to Black so the whitespace on the sides of the motorcycle pic goes away;

3. When I click on an item to view its detail, I expect to see a big picture of it, not the same thumbnail I saw on the main listing. Show the big pic of each item in the main window, make it left-aligned, and put a border around it;

4. I clicked on some link inside the "Swingarm Extensions" section and the title changed to "Let's See What We Have Here". That sounds like a developer's note to me. Get rid of it;

5. Put the Quick Find above the category listing. It's not Quick if I have to scroll down to Find it;

6. Make the motorcycle pic at the top of the website clickable so it takes me back to the homepage if I click on it;

7. Consider making the entire site's background color darker than white. Maybe a tasteful gunmetal grey. Black on white is too much contrast for my poor nearsighted eyes.

6. onedownfiveup

Thanks for your time.

1) I was already going to put black on both sides of the main image.

2) The details for the product that's all a pre-made stuff. I can edit it all but that'll take forever.

3) The main colors to the store is blue/black/white/grey so I gunmetal would be good.

7. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

the top banner is too big. it takes up about 1/3rd of the space in my browser on my laptop.

try adding borders to some of the images

8. deusexaethera

I believe, for the record, that gunmetal is not just dark grey, but dark grey with a very slight hint of brown to it. Add a few extra points to the Red color value, and half as many to the Green color value. That should get you a good gunmetal color.

9. onedownfiveup

How's that for gunmetal grey?

10. onedownfiveup

Ok, I'm going to try and create a banner that takes half the heigth of that one.

11. ruler22

ruler22 Member

I think it would look better with some more products on the main page, maybe popular ones or cool ones to draw people into the site more

12. deusexaethera

MUCH better. I can look at it without squinting now.

EDIT: I took a screenshot of your new color scheme and changed the text on the main part of the website (not inside the light-grey boxes) from RGB(0,0,0) to RGB(232,232,232), and then I made the text bold. I think it's a little more readable against the darker grey of the main background than the black was, whereas the text inside the light-grey boxes is better in black. Give the off-white text on the dark background a shot and see what you think.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  13. onedownfiveup

I'll try that. Thanks a lot for your help man!

14. onedownfiveup

Are you talking about the product info text needing to be bold?

15. onedownfiveup

I just talked to a few bike people and they told me that when they first saw the site it looks like it's only geared towards busa's and 14's and drag bike type stuff.

16. deusexaethera

The small text in the main part of the window, whatever purpose it may serve. The example I played with was the page with the motorcycle brand logos and the text names in small print just below them. I believe you used the same style for the catalog listings as well -- picture above, brand name or description below. The black text is a little too dark on that background, and the font is a little too small to be comfortably readable. If you don't want to enlarge the font, make it bold instead.

17. onedownfiveup

Ok, I know what you're saying. I agree.