A&P Who can do a painting of this picture for me?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Replicant, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Replicant

Replicant New Member

It's a snapshot from the documentary Trinity & Beyond. It's of some military guys watching a test of a nuclear bomb.

I'd like to have this made into a painting. Recommendations?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  2. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

3. Replicant

Replicant New Member

Oh. Well shit.

4. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

There was a guy on here that was doing paintings. Really good ones too. I just cant remember his name...

5. N_A

N_A Member

why not do a little post and print on canvas?

6. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

Here is painted it on a canvas

[​IMG]

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

what a dumbass

8. Asherman

Asherman New Member

I'm a painter and could probably do a reasonable job of making a painting from the photo. However, there are a few things you should consider first.

1. There aren't a lot of painters who specialize in photorealism. There are good reasons for that. First, is that the skill set to closely reporduce photo images in paint will only be found in a small number of very experienced painters. It also takes more time to produce this sort of art than other genres, even though most would use technilogical 'short-cuts'. These factors mean that a painter's production is lower than market demand. That equates to, you guessed it... very high minimal prices, even without considering the price differences one charges for different canvas sizes and types. The very fine surfaces used for photorealism paintings is very expensive linen, and its preparation is also timeconsuming. I very much doubt that you will find a competent photorealist painter who would take your commission for less than aroudn $8-10K, with a third unrefundable up front to start.

2. I'm not a photorealist painter, so what you would get from me would be my interpretation of the photo. The men sitting in white lawn chairs wearing darkglasses in a red world would all be clearly evident, but no one would ever mistake the end product for a photo. Some elements might be exaggerated, while others would be downplayed. Surfaces very well might hold the footprint of the brushes. Details might be different from photo to painting. Interpretation is what painters generally do. A prevailing philosophy in the art world is, "if you want an exact reflection of perception, use a Brownie". Since the introduction of photographs, artists have been forced to re-evaluate what it is we do, and most have abandoned making "documentary" images. I'm best known for very large minimalist abstracts, though much more of my work is abstract expressionist on more modest sized surfaces. For something like your photo commission I would want around $3K, with a third up front for 24X36 on a mid-grade canvas. Insuranced, shipping and handling would be your responsiblity. The cost of shipping large paintings by folks who specialize in that is also much greater than for shipping, say the same weight in fragile dry goods.

If some painter offers to do the work for much less, then you should be a bit suspicious. Why? Skill and experience levels to do a competent job don't come cheap. This painting could take several months to complete, and that is time taken away from a painter's normal work. It's nice to have a buyer up front, but with a client you have to spend more time building a relationship with them and satisfying their needs... even if they aren't articulate about what those needs are. Already, most of us are working for less than minimal wage when you deduct our overhead and divide the net by the hours we spend doing the 'actual' work. Then there are the paint by numbers and fingerpaint virtruosos who knock out things in a half=hour and would love to make a killing for their masterpieces. If you want a competent painting, don't expect to get it next week for a chump change.

3. You can get a wonderful image from one of our regulars here for probably under $1K, and in a month. He will scale your photo up to whatever size you need without loss of resolution, and print it on stretched canvas. There are several techniques for mimicing the effect of a brush stroked surface, so your photo will have the appearance of a painting so long as you don't look too close, and don't know what to look for.

9. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

ive been to printing companies where they put photographs on canvas and do some treatment to it that makes it looks like a painting. if you look at it up close, you can see faux brush strokes on the picture. :o

10. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

I love this guy.

11. Replicant

Replicant New Member

Yeah I think I'll have it printed on canvas or something. I can't afford thousands son.

12. Kamekaze v.OT

Kamekaze v.OT New Member

You should look at getting that as a metallic print, bet it would look pretty :cool:

13. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

You should also look into copyright issues dealing with this. If the painting is an obvious copy, you can run into copyright violations if the original photo is copyright protected.

It can be a gray area, however, there is case examples of this. You can specifically search for cases involving the University of Alabama where there was a painter making copies of UA football photos.

Just saying, be careful and check it out.

14. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Im pretty sure the original was never a picture to begin with. Seems like it was a painting/drawing/rendering the whole time.